Mayfield Falls

Richbutnot

I 've seen a lot written about Mayfield falls on this board, but still have some questions.

How cold is the water? We will be there first week in May.

How long a drive from Montego Bay?

How much does a tour cost? I have Trevor Hudlin or Barrett Adventures in mind.

Thanks, Rich

We went there on 1-22-06 cruise on the conquest with A-Z planners and had a wonderful time. The water was a bit chilly then but refreshing. It was about 45 minutes from Mobay. It was a very scenic drive through the mountains. We went there and went shopping downtown, had a bite to eat at the Pork Pit which was very good and cheap also, then a stop to Margaritaville. Clive was our driver and he stayed with us the whole time. Total cost was 40. pp.

We visited Mayfield Falls on our December cruise. We had a great time - the weather was clear and the water was a little chilly, but nice. It will probably be warmer when you go in May, but the falls are mostly shaded, so the water might not be much warmer. We booked with Trevor Hudlin and I think he charged us $40 per person also - included entrance fee. We also went to the Pork Pit afterwards and then to a hotel up on a hill to see the view of Montego Bay and the port. We had a great time and were able to stop and see different things along the way.

• 1 month later...

You might be able to do it - the trick is getting out of the port area and the traffic! It's hard for the little guys to get their vans and vehicles up to the terminal and through all the big busses waiting to haul off the people. And the locals are really laid back about time - no worries mon! So if you get off the ship at 8:00, it may be 9:00 before you head out. Then it's an hour or so to Mayfield Falls.

I don't remember our exact times, but I know it took awhile for us to get on the road and was an hour to the falls. The drive is a little tricky in spots. We had to change before and after the falls, and made it to the Pork Pit for lunch at about 1 ish. The we did a few other things, but we didn't have to be back to the ship until 5. If you go directly to Dr. Cove's after the falls, you might have a few hours there. I've been there, but I don't remember if they had any food there or not - we had just eated and Margaritaville and walked down the street to the beach.

Hope this helps,

Sherryl

Thanks for the information. If you were eating lunch about 1, I don't think we would have enough time. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to bring snorkle gear. We will go snorkling in GC and Cozumel, so that will have to do. We are staying on the ship in Labadee--been there done that, we would rather enjoy the new ship. So it looks like a beach day isn't in the cards, this time. My husband really wants to go to the Falls instead of the beach. I hope we are making the right decision, I just don't know.

Archived