Where is the HAL terminal in NYC?

Sopwith

The New York Passenger Ship Terminal, http://www.nypst.com/ , is on the Hudson River, west of 12th Avenue, between 52nd and 48th Sts., as shown in Greg's picture. When, as will be the case with the 2/22 cruise, a ship is the only one in port, it's usually docked in the middle. At any event, you'll clrearly be able to tell which berth you want as you approach the pier. The web site sometimes lists the exact berth #, but not for the 2/22 cruise.

That big ship at the right (south) end of the picture is the Intrepid, an aircraft carrier turned into a museum. If you arrive at the pier early, it's well worth getting off the ship to see the Intrepid, once you've checked in and gotten your ID. You'll even get a second glass of champagne when you re-board the Noordam.

Anyone know where the HAL terminal is in NYC? Sailing on the Noordam, October '06.

Thx.

If you are taking a taxi to the pier either from an airport or a hotel, tell the driver to go along 55th Street to 12th Avenue and then take the ramp up and to the left to where the longshoremen are taking the luggage.

I have found in NYC that taxi drivers like specific street coordinates rather than locations.

Yep, 99.9% of NYC taxi drivers will know what you mean when you say "12th and 55th cruiseship terminal". Pray that there aren't too many ships in port that day. We once arrived back from a cruise with 5 ships in port and it took us 2 1/2 hours to get a cab! I think we may have gotten home earlier if we had just walked :D

Yep, 99.9% of NYC taxi drivers will know what you mean when you say "12th and 55th cruiseship terminal". Pray that there aren't too many ships in port that day. We once arrived back from a cruise with 5 ships in port and it took us 2 1/2 hours to get a cab! I think we may have gotten home earlier if we had just walked

Hey, Herb ... :) Well ... according to the port schedule the Noordam will be in by herself on Wednesday.

Yep, 99.9% of NYC taxi drivers will know what you mean when you say "12th and 55th cruiseship terminal". Pray that there aren't too many ships in port that day. We once arrived back from a cruise with 5 ships in port and it took us 2 1/2 hours to get a cab! I think we may have gotten home earlier if we had just walked :D

We feel your pain. On our last cruise there were six ships in port whe we got home (prompting a post called "Chaos on the New York piers"), and it took an hour for our pre-arranged limo to get up the ramp. We've learned our lesson. Pack lighter, then wheel your suitcases away from the pier, and catch a cab on 12th Avenue. Since the 2/22 Noordam will be the only ship in port on both ends, that probably won't be necessary; but be ready to do it if the cab line is a mess.

We feel your pain. On our last cruise there were six ships in port whe we got home (prompting a post called "Chaos on the New York piers"), and it took an hour for our pre-arranged limo to get up the ramp. We've learned our lesson. Pack lighter, then wheel your suitcases away from the pier, and catch a cab on 12th Avenue. Since the 2/22 Noordam will be the only ship in port on both ends, that probably won't be necessary; but be ready to do it if the cab line is a mess.

It is easier to get to the pier in New York than to leave it. I agree that the 'cab line is a mess'.

When you come out with your luggage there are no directional signs, stanchions that define the start and end of the line. In fact, unlike airports and other cruise terminals, there is no line.

However, there is a system. A person is giving out numbers, theater type tickets. A dispatcher out on the pavement calls out the last three numbers on the ticket as the taxis come in. When your number comes up you have to get through the crowd to where the taxi is.

As soon as you come out the door look around for this person with the tickets. Last fall I did not see any sign that said how the system worked. We only had to wait 30 minutes, but it was confusing.

I look forward to all the postings on the first Nordam cruise and hope to sail on her next fall.

Archived