v-day date attire

MrsMoose2001

I have to say ladies, that last night out at dinner, I've never seen so many ladies dressed so "undately" if that is even a word.

We had dinner in a nice trendy upscale italian restaurant.

Since we were sitting in an area that you could easily see who was coming and going, I gotta tell you, out of the couples that came, I'd say men made more of an effort than the ladies.

I don't know if it's becaue they were coming from work or whatever, but a lot of the men had on suits and ties, or were dressed nice casual.

The ladies however, most were not dressed nicely. Jeans galore (yes on some of the guys too). I could even understand if it was married folks, but you could tell these were "dates". One woman wore a pair of jeans that DH said, wow she looks like she has been painting our condo and just threw some ratty sweater over them.

Some of them were with guys who really made the effort to wear a jacket and tie.

I expected the guys causal as the Maitre d' of this resto does not wear a tie or his shirt tucked in as it's the "trendy look". Waitresses all wear short black skirts.

The most noticeable outfit, was a rather tall girl (over 5'6) who came in with a tight jean skirt that was so short, I mean I'm not jokeing on the short here, that you could see the "hairs" so to speak. Think daisy duke shorts but a skirt, no stockings on, no panty hose, bare legged (and it was snowing outside, this is Montreal Canada in the middle of winter), with boots. Now the boots had a cuff on them so they sort of were slouchy things that only really went up mid calf (not thigh). The top was at least long sleeved, but I'm not sure what it really was. The guy she was with wore a suit and tie, and had what was obviously a gift bag from one of the upscale stores in town. He was so conservatively dressed, DH said, maybe he just "picked her up on the street" as he didn't want to be alone on V-day, maybe he was lonely. Even the waitress had to do a double take on that one. Not only that, but she left her date to go sit on a table alone to smoke and chat on her cell phone (we were in the smokeing section).

What people wore did not spoil my dinner or evening out or anything, it was just interesting for hubby and I to watch basically if it was a "married" or "date" couple this resto caters more to the "younger" set so there were definitely a lot of "dates" and that is what really surprised me that so many of the ladies did really not make an effort at all and their dates did.

Of course, a few of the gents didn't make any effort at all either, seems that shirt tails out is the thing even the Maitre d' has them out, but he wears a sport jacket and these guys didn't, just shirt tails out with their baggy jeans, and most of their dates made a little effort, so it was really funny to watch. Some of the men had to chat on the cell phone that even hubby noticed that. There were cells ringing and some of the guys felt the need to ignore their date and chat on the cell. Hubby had to comment on that one. All very interesting.

Dress in the dead of winter in Canada can be interesting. At the fundraiser I worked at last night, we discussed that state of dressing these days....our teens are in for a wake up as the styles are changing and many of them want to cling to low rise jeans etc. Recently saw show from Toronto showing male fashions, the men were not hard on the eyes with more tailored pants, shirts and jackets. My DH wore the sweater and shirt I bought him for Xmas with dress pants to the bistro type restaurant we went to on Sat. I dressed up in fancy cami and skirt. My eyes were on my DH, we don't get many dates in the evening due time commitments. Pagers and cell phones were turned off for our date. They are intrusive to everyone IMHO.

Mrs. M. thanks for sharing your observations.

Nothing really bothered us, it was just very amusing to see the people chatting on their cells on a v-day date. The clothes didn't bother me on a personal level, it was just all so interesting. DH and I thought it all very strange.

Good point Jane, lol, from the expressions on some, it may very well be true.:)

Archived