LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

41 minutes ago, susanlik said:

Preparing to go and remembered someone posting a time line of all documents needed for this Iceland cruise

does anyone know which posting

verify. 

Visit.COVID.ic

viking health questionnaire

COVID test within 72 hrs

any others?

It’s Verifly and Covid.is

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210728-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US-UK-CAN_FINAL.pdf

Edited by LindaS272

1 hour ago, commencemilo said:

I have a friend who tried to cancel two excursions 2 days before getting on the 8/17 cruise and Viking said  they could not do it cause excursions had to be cancelled three days prior to voyage.

However,  they got on board today and the Concierge let them cancel the Golden Circle and Natural Treasures without a problem.  In fact the daily sheet stated that excursions for Wed or Thurs had until 8pm tonight ( Tuesday evening to cancel)

Think of the Viking that you deal with before the cruise, and the Viking that you deal with on the cruise, as being separate companies. (cause they are) A few days before the cruise, the pre-cruise Viking locks your files and transfers them over to the on-cruise Viking. At that point, nothing can be changed until you board and interact with on-cruise Viking.

Got Onboard the Jupiter today. 636 passengers per Katie the Asst. Cruise Director. California Cuisine, Xiang, and Asian Panorama in the Chef’s Table. Weather was glorious today with broken clouds and blue sky (really!), no rain. Viking added some city tours this evening for those interested. 

• Like 2

For the future cruisers, as we were coming aboard Jupiter today a couple behind us came straight from the airport but NOT on a Viking bus. They turned in their luggage and confirmed w Katie Asst. Cruise Director that they could not leave bubble once aboard. She confirmed and then she said “I have not seen you go aboard yet” wink wink. I told them the city was a lovely 30 minute walk along the bay. You could see Harpa from where we were standing. It was just pushing 12:30 so they had plenty of time to explore. If they had been on a Viking bus it may have made a difference if they were checked in at the airport. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bookworm114 said:

Got Onboard the Jupiter today. 636 passengers per Katie the Asst. Cruise Director. California Cuisine, Xiang, and Asian Panorama in the Chef’s Table. Weather was glorious today with broken clouds and blue sky (really!), no rain. Viking added some city tours this evening for those interested. 

1 hour ago, LibraryJo said:

Bookworm114, We'd appreciate it if you'd keep us posted at to the weather and midges.  It's two weeks til our cruise!  Hope you have a great (and uneventful!)  time!

Happy to. First half day was great. We were able to shift some but not all of the alternative reservations so hubby is happy. Gym not requiring reservations. You are limited to two Thermal Spa reservations per cruise but can check for availability when you want to go and see if it is possible. Have not done that yet so I will see how that goes. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bookworm114 said:

Happy to. First half day was great. We were able to shift some but not all of the alternative reservations so hubby is happy. Gym not requiring reservations. You are limited to two Thermal Spa reservations per cruise but can check for availability when you want to go and see if it is possible. Have not done that yet so I will see how that goes. 

We are Lisa and Kevin from Anaheim. 

1 hour ago, Bookworm114 said:

For the future cruisers, as we were coming aboard Jupiter today a couple behind us came straight from the airport but NOT on a Viking bus. They turned in their luggage and confirmed w Katie Asst. Cruise Director that they could not leave bubble once aboard. She confirmed and then she said “I have not seen you go aboard yet” wink wink. I told them the city was a lovely 30 minute walk along the bay. You could see Harpa from where we were standing. It was just pushing 12:30 so they had plenty of time to explore. If they had been on a Viking bus it may have made a difference if they were checked in at the airport. 

I was just on a chat with a Viking representation and they told me since I used Viking Air I am a part of the bubble when I start flying and if I did not use their transportation from the airport in Reykjavik I would be in violation of the Viking Bubble protocols.

Another beautiful day on Jupiter. Rain was forecasted but at 12:45 nothing yet. Blue skies between the fast moving clouds. Two interesting things today. 15 people joined the cruise this morning. Their flight was delayed and we saw them come aboard around nine. Second  thing not so good. We were coming back from the horseback riding outing, which I recommend, and we had to wait to board while a man in his pjs and his wife in a paper gown were loaded into an ambulance. While we don’t know it was COVID a crew member sprayed/wiped down the ramp handles before we were allowed on. It would be even sadder if they were in the group of 15 from the morning. Will post if there is any announcement but I doubt there will be. 

• Like 3

For those of you with the Silver Spirits package there are some tastings on board. They are listed on the back of the Silver Spirits flyer found at the bars. I saw them by accident. Three of the four are included at no additional cost (Malt, Cognac, Whiskey) and the Premium Red Wine gets a 30% discount off the $50 cost. 

Sorry for the scribbles. 

7B6CBAD0-AE48-4A14-924A-1840978E994E.jpeg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Bookworm114 said:

For those of you with the Silver Spirits package there are some tastings on board. They are listed on the back of the Silver Spirits flyer found at the bars. I saw them by accident. Three of the four are included at no additional cost (Malt, Cognac, Whiskey) and the Premium Red Wine gets a 30% discount off the $50 cost. 

Sorry for the scribbles. 

7B6CBAD0-AE48-4A14-924A-1840978E994E.jpeg

Awesome!! Thanks!!  This is on Jupiter now, correct?

22 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Think of the Viking that you deal with before the cruise, and the Viking that you deal with on the cruise, as being separate companies. (cause they are) A few days before the cruise, the pre-cruise Viking locks your files and transfers them over to the on-cruise Viking. At that point, nothing can be changed until you board and interact with on-cruise Viking.

We were able to cancel all four paid excursions once we got on the Jupiter yesterday, no problem. We had until 8PM to do so. (We canceled because of my husband’s knee pain, but that didn’t factor into being able to cancel). She also suggested, on her own, canceling Vigur excursion because the puffins are g-o-n-e. 

On 8/24/2021 at 12:05 PM, commencemilo said:

I have a friend who tried to cancel two excursions 2 days before getting on the 8/17 cruise and Viking said  they could not do it cause excursions had to be cancelled three days prior to voyage.

However,  they got on board today and the Concierge let them cancel the Golden Circle and Natural Treasures without a problem.  In fact the daily sheet stated that excursions for Wed or Thurs had until 8pm tonight ( Tuesday evening to cancel)

Yes, that's what we experienced on the Aug. 3 cruise.  (Viking allowed extra time to cancel the Reykjavik excursions once on board the ship.  However, they asked that you cancel before 6 PM - likely because they needed to give an accurate count to their vendors.)

8 minutes ago, travelordie said:

We'll be on the Viking Sky starting August 28th and have purchased the Halsar Hike excursion in Djupivogur.  Has anyone done this excursion and does anyone know whether there are midges in the vicinity?

I don't remember anyone mentioning midges/knats on the Halsar Hike.  I think mostly they're at the Lake Myvatn area (excursion from Akureyri), but I could be wrong. I didn't pay much attention to the hikes. The midges were atrocious at the area of Dimmubogur ("Dark Castle" rock formations), but I think their activity depends somewhat on weather/moisture conditions, so maybe they don't always bother people there. 

I'd offer to mail you my midge hat but I doubt it would get to you in time, so I'll just hold on to it.  But at least the midges don't bite.  They're just annoying.  And I don't think any insect repellent phases them. At least a face mask will keep them from getting in your nose and mouth!!!

20210808_190556 ORIG modelinghighlysoughtafterbugnet.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/23/2021 at 11:41 PM, BarbRN said:

Day 3. We had to see ships doctor great people. Nurses were good. Husband having a problem related to Previous cancer. Haven’t gotten to do a thing. Our fault. People are amazing. Rainy foggy chilly and tomorrow the same. What luck. Day 2 had no medical facilities but tomorrow will if needed. No TV today and in the room All day. Such service. Love it. 

Sorry to hear about health problems, Barb. Keep us posted.

9 minutes ago, Lil Puppy Dog said:

If anyone flew Icelandair, did you bid for an upgrade to get a seat in Saga Premium?  If you did bid, do you mind sharing how much you bid?  Thanks.

Madeline

Yes.  When I first got their email, I ignored it.  Then a day or two later I came on Cruise Critic and asked the same question you asked.  I decided it would be worth the extra money to pay extra to have safer seats (more separation, Covid) and a better chance of actually sleeping on the 6 hour nonstop flight.  Several people responded, saying they had bid and won; several people said they bid and lost.  One helpful person told me that rebids were allowed.   I decided to try hard to win upgrades, and bid somewhere in, but not far in, the green bid zone.  (I'm sorry, I can't remember actual amount).  I also looked on Icelandair's website to see how many Saga seats were available, and where they were.  Only 1 seat showed up as available, although I have no idea if this was the real number of un-booked seats or just some number the computer uses to hasten people along in the booking process!  

I really didn't think we'd win the seats because we needed two, and the site says you must bid for all people on your ticket (i.e., you can't just bid for one person if two are on the same ticket).  At the time I bid, it didn't look like two seats were available, and Icelandair in general didn't have all that many Saga seats, so I figured we'd end up in economy. 

The site says you may have to wait until the day of the flight to learn of an upgrade, but we got notice we'd won at least a day before the day of our flight.  But the seats weren't assigned until we got to the airport.  My spouse's ended up being in what one person called the "King's Chair"  - with aisles on both sides of him.  I was in a seat across the aisle from him, with someone next to me in the window seat, separated by a stationary armrest.  (See my scary photo).  

Saga Class is, I guess, not quite as cushy as some other airlines' business class, but it did provide more room, a quieter, more private & experience, and food - fairly good (but cold) nicely seasoned chicken skewers and a few other nibbles for dinner, including a cute tiny "hamburger" tiraisu. The meal was served soon after we got up to cruising altitude.  I don't drink, and I did little besides sleep, so I can't tell you more about what they offered to those who weren't so anxious to go to sleep. All in all, it was a nice experience.  We had traveled on Icelandair twice before, and found it an adequate airline, despite the fact that it's budget.  But if you're in economy, be aware that food is usually not provided, only offered for purchase on board.   

Good luck!  

20210802_202143 orig flight.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lil Puppy Dog said:

If anyone flew Icelandair, did you bid for an upgrade to get a seat in Saga Premium?  If you did bid, do you mind sharing how much you bid?  Thanks.

Madeline

Madeline - I see you're from DC area too, so here's more info: 

I just looked up what we paid Icelandair, and it was $920 for the two of us. They charged it several days before we flew. We weren't booked on Icelandair coming back, so the $920 was just for the two of us going TO Iceland. And I had already paid Icelandair a bit more for economy seats with more legroom, although I have no idea if that's relevant or not.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea