Here is a story that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck

vaccardi

Sounds like the helm forgot

Forgot?? I don't think any helmsman would forget...my bet is on electronic malfuction that took a short time to "over ride"...and a short time at 25 deg, feels like a LONG TIME!!!

There are now close to 400 posts on several different threads on the Princess boards about this incident.

Some very reasoned posts, and of course, some rather hysterical posts. The amount of roll has been reduced to about 18degrees, considerably less than the 28 to 30degrees some were talking about.

Travel can be an adventure.

Captain Margaritis who was in charge of the Zenith back in February 2004 did a similar turn.

We were just about to enter Freeport and this smaller ferry cut right in front of us. Here is part of the letter I had sent to the Captain about this.

. On another note: I would of skinned the Bahamian pilot for not getting out og the way of the ship in time. I marveled how you and the ships officers made the quick turn around with a 50,000 ton ship. Done very smoothly while we were on deck. I think there are some nautical terms that may apply to the pilot or the port authority in Freeport on this issue. But I leave that to - you - the expert. I just think they should have been out to the ship a little earlier and had the ferry wait two minutes.

We made a complete 360 when this smaller ferry cut in front of us as we were about to enter the port area. The Ferry was just sitting there watching us - away from the pier and cut us off. Edd Greeneg was on the cruise with me. He may be able to comment more on what may have happened inside.

I was up on the pool deck looking at the port at that time.

Water out of the pool and a lot of chair movement.

There is no way this was a controlled action...the expense incured from damaged goods and materials, the passenger discomfort, the liability, to save a minute or two in executing a slower turn...no way. I would expect Maritime Law would not allow this.

What good is it to get one critically ill person to port if you injure others doing so??

There is a longer story...we'll never know it...so be it.

Oh...and anything over 15 degrees becomes uncomfortable...I thought 25-30 degrees seemed a bit high.

I thnk Danno is right, something else was happening and we will never know the answer. I'm also leaning towards some type of temporary malfuction.

A hairpin turn on the Horizon versus the Grand Princess (at its huge size) would definitely have a different degree of consequences. I would imagine that Caribbean Princess with its extra deck would be even worse!

As to warning the passengers, if they had any idea that they were going to bust up so much, I'm sure they would have!

Captain Margaritis who was in charge of the Zenith back in February 2004 did a similar turn.

We were just about to enter Freeport and this smaller ferry cut right in front of us. Here is part of the letter I had sent to the Captain about this.

. On another note: I would of skinned the Bahamian pilot for not getting out og the way of the ship in time. I marveled how you and the ships officers made the quick turn around with a 50,000 ton ship. Done very smoothly while we were on deck. I think there are some nautical terms that may apply to the pilot or the port authority in Freeport on this issue. But I leave that to - you - the expert. I just think they should have been out to the ship a little earlier and had the ferry wait two minutes.

We made a complete 360 when this smaller ferry cut in front of us as we were about to enter the port area. The Ferry was just sitting there watching us - away from the pier and cut us off. Edd Greeneg was on the cruise with me. He may be able to comment more on what may have happened inside.

I was up on the pool deck looking at the port at that time.

Water out of the pool and a lot of chair movement.

All correct, Tom, I do remember the incident and was also impressed with Captain Margaritis' skill in handling the ship.

Another reason to avoid Freeport, I think....not that anymore were needed.

Constellation was a very nice trip, by the way....

I am by no means an expert, but if the ship turned that quickly, and rolled that far, passengers on deck could have been in peril. More people could have been seriously hurt or thrown overboard (the good of one is more important than the good of many?)

Also, as most of the systems are now electronic, as Danno pointed out, I am surprised that the action had to occur on a hairpin at full speed. A plotted course would occur much more slowly and smoothly.

Finally, I would think that the stabilizer would have kicked in big time to avoid some of a major roll. These ships are tested at full speed without stabilizers, to make sure the roll back quickly. With the stabilizer at any type of speed, the ship should have been relatively stable, although those on board might have felt some minimal lateral G's.

All this armchair quarterbacking...no one on this website was at the helm... so it is only guessing.

However, the NTSB will be able to tell us, once they finish their report.

Anyone remember all the stories about the NCL Dawn speeding back to NYC for a rendezvous with Donald Trump???? and damaging the ship in heavy weather?????

The NTSB found the report to be totally false, despite passenger allegations, and further found the Captain and crew had acted properly.

Stabilzers are very rarely deployed. The wreck havoc on fuel economy. Even when used, they are perhaps 95% effective. And both have to be underwater to be effective. Many times the pitch is so bad, stablizers become ineffective.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to read of a "near-miss" in the NTSB report.

Archived