UK Cruisers keen to Join Viking Venus in Malta

Staffordshirecruiser

Hi, we have just returned from UK Viking Venus cruise (UK is our home) and thought it was fantastic.  The daily testing and other COVID measures were no problem, in fact they were reassuring. We are thinking of rejoining her for the Malta Adriatic itinerary, maybe as early as 24 July 2021.  As far as I can tell, although we are double vaccinated, we would need a PCR test before setting off, and we may need to quarantine unless the rules change by the time we return on 3 August.  We would also need to take out special insurance due to the fact the FCO advises against international cruising at the moment.  We could travel later in the year, in the expectation that these inconveniences would fall away, but to some extent, I think we should seize the day, as more rules could emerge in the meantime.  Wondered if anyone was having similar thoughts, or could offer any advice?

Carpe Diem

There are quite a few UK travellers, including ourselves who are booked onto the Icelandic Welcome Back cruises. 

it’s worth checking your trip insurance and then decide how you feel about the financial and other risks involved in travelling against FCO advice. These are then offset by the pleasures to be obtained from such a trip. 

No right or wrong answers and the trend is to relax restrictions over time and not increase them. 

• Like 1

Malta now added to the Green List for UK travelers so the returning quarantine issue has been removed for the time being at least.

You will have to consult the Malta Government requirements to see what is need for those entering Malta but I'm sure Viking will be up to speed on that.

Worryingly I've just read on another forum that Viking have cancelled the repositioning cruise of the Viking Venus from Portsmouth to Malta on July 3rd. No explanation given to the passengers affected. Full refund or 125% FCC offered. Venus was due to call at Porto, Lisbon and Gibraltar so maybe there were issues with obtaining clearance for a largely UK complement of passengers being allowed ashore in Portugal???

52 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Malta now added to the Green List for UK travelers so the returning quarantine issue has been removed for the time being at least

This is incorrect. Since the cruise goes to amber list countries quarantine still required.

Hi Arlowood and Dave, thanks, it may be that the quarantine rules change for August returners (and then change back again!) before we set off.  I’ve noticed the first Venus Malta sailing on 11 July is no longer on the site, so I’m wondering whether that’s due to be cancelled and ours will be next!, if so wonder where Venus will be going instead?