Bayside- how close to the port?

AllieNJ3

I've seen many mentions on this board of the Bayside in Miami and how great it is. I was wondering if it is within walking distance of the Port. Was thinking of getting breakfast there before my cruise and was hoping could then just walk to the port afterwards. Thanks!

Nope...while it is close to the port and offers great views of the ships, you will need transportation to get to the port. I am not sure but I don't think Bayside is open first thing in the morning. It seems to be more of a late morning, afternoon and evening sort of place. We really enjoy going to Bayside the afternoon and night before the cruise...gets us into "holiday mode" the day before getting on the ship :).

Certainly you can walk. It's about 3/4 mile and you will sweat and tire yourself out. You go up and over a long bridge loaded with trucks spewing exhaust. Then you have to get to the proper terminal. And of course you won't be carrying anything will you? But you would save $8 on the cab.

As signman explained, it's not the distance, it's the location. I had the same "brillant" idea for my 1st cruise. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It's extremely dangerous.

If the Bayside Market marketing people were smart they'd invest in a little jitney to take people from the cruise ships to their mall for free or really cheaply.

Trish, Actually I thought I could walk it too. I just did a B2B from Miami, which gave me a chance to visit Bayside on turnaround day. When I first arrived at the port for cruise no. 1, I paid particular attention to the route and distance I would have to travel if I chose to walk to Bayside. There is a walkway on the bridge, divided from the roadway by a Jersey barrier, and Bayside is right at the entrance to the bridge, but once you get to the end, negotiating the confusion and the traffic heading to the ships could be more difficult.

But when it came time to go to Bayside, 4 of us just piled into a cab for about 3 bucks each. It's a little cheaper going back as there is a $2 exit fee from the port. I did see crew members walking though. But I never thought about the jitney idea. I agree, it would be very smart for Bayside to offer something at a nominal cost, but who knows what opposition there is from the taxicabs?

I've seen many mentions on this board of the Bayside in Miami and how great it is. I was wondering if it is within walking distance of the Port. Was thinking of getting breakfast there before my cruise and was hoping could then just walk to the port afterwards. Thanks!

The only great thing about Bayside is that it is convenient to the port of Miami.

I certainly would not spend money to go there nor would I stay in that area because Miami is one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the U.S. and Bayside is completely opposite of that.

Walking from Bayside to the port is suicidal. It is an extremely busy highway and the chance of dying a horrible painful death would be high.

Tourists don't pay any attention to where they are going while driving over the causeway because they are busy looking at; Miami, the water, the port, Star Island, etc.

Archived