St Thomas In-Focus Photography Tour

booboo4031

I live in St Thomas, and this new tour was announced in the local newspaper in January. Someone I know responded to an ad looking for people to lead this tour about two weeks ago, but was told then that they were waiting for Atlantis to start marketing the tour. Sounds like it's finally a go.

I took a similar tour in Barbados (I think this tour started the photo tour trend), and I learned a few tips on composing my shots. The tour leader was a professional photographer who has been published outside of Barbados, and is also a professional producer.

What I would do if I were you is bring some of my "awful" prints with me to show the photo tour leader, and get his/her recommendations (that is, if you decide to take the tour) on what you could have done to make the shot better. Make sure you tell the leader what camera you're using, and whether you tried manual settings.

Hope this helps.

According to the Princess website, you bring your own camera so I would be bringing my digital that I always use. It's not a real complicated camera... but it seems like things like the light and such are never right :confused:

Thanks for the info.

Diane

Glad I found this thread! Just bought a DC (Olympus E500) for cruise in Dec. Many features and hoping to learn a lot between now and then. We want to do some tours, but one of my main goals is to take some very nice pictures of our trip. Who knows when we will be able to get back on a cruise and i'd like to make the most of our memories.

Does anyone else know about good picture taking sites in:

Aruba

Barbados

Dominica

Aruba has beautiful beaches, but because it's flat, there aren't as many scenic lookouts to take pictures from. If you take a tour, the natural bridge is kind of interesting and everybody takes a picture, but it's not something that makes it into the beautiful picture gallery (in my opinion).

When in Barbados, try to take that photo tour offered by the photographer (I think his name is Ron). He takes you to the other side of the island to Barbados' most scenic lookout (forgot the name of it!), where there's a big rock that I've seen in other Barbados pictures. Again, Barbados is kind of flat, so there aren't that many scenic lookouts.

In Dominica there's a waterfall that everybody takes pictures of. If you take a tour it's usually included. Dominica isn't known for its beaches, so focus on flora and fauna and wildlife.

The folks at Atlantis Submarine in Havensight are supposed to be offering the photo tour for Princess. Try calling them at 340-776-5650. The photographers who're putting the tour together for them are Greg and Eric. Sorry, don't know their last names, but if you e-mail me at viphotogifts@yahoo.com, I know somebody who knows them and can get the info to you later next week.

Archived