Passport/Birth Cert. needed on excursions?

Tutone56

If you take your passports, you will not need to take your birth certificates.

You don't need passports in the Caribbean this year, but you will next year.

Passports come in handy if you are forced to miss the ship's sailing from unexpected mishaps or illness.

Take your passports if you have them.

Just got off the Dawn on Feb 2. If you have a driver's license or state ID card, you do not need your passports or birth cert to get back thru "island customs". In some ports the government officials just look to see if you have the ship key card, in others they required the photo ID.

I am headed on the Dawn 4/16 - we applied for passports in early January but have not heard anything. How long does this take? I am getting concerned as they took our original birth certificates to file for the passport. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the status of our passports?

I am headed on the Dawn 4/16 - we applied for passports in early January but have not heard anything. How long does this take? I am getting concerned as they took our original birth certificates to file for the passport. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the status of our passports?

They *took* your birth certificates???? If I remember right, when I applied for mine, they just took photocopies.

Anyhow, I think it took about 6 weeks or so to get mine.

We applied mid Oct and didn't get our until the last week in Jan. We were very concerned - there is a site on-line - i'm not sure what it is, you could probably google it. The post office would probably have an 800 number you could call to check on them. That's what we did and they told us 'they went to the wrong place for processing' that's why there was a delay. We finally did get them and they returned our BC's also.

They *took* your birth certificates???? .

I got passports last year and YES they did take the original certified copy. They were returned with the passport. But make sure it is a state issued birth certificate. My husband had a birth certificate issued by the hospital (had a seal) which the passport agency took. The US passport office sent it back to us requiring a state issued one. That took several weeks longer. If all goes well it should take about 6 weeks.

I got passports last year and YES they did take the original certified copy. They were returned with the passport. But make sure it is a state issued birth certificate. My husband had a birth certificate issued by the hospital (had a seal) which the passport agency took. The US passport office sent it back to us requiring a state issued one. That took several weeks longer. If all goes well it should take about 6 weeks.

Hmmm.... guess I forgot about that part... *shrug* I let mom do most of the paperwork anyhow, as she keeps my original docs safe and secure for me.

I applied for a passport for my DD because she is going on a school trip to France this summer. I did have to submit her original birth certificate. Then I got nervous because I submitted the birth certificate and thought that the passport might not come in time for our cruise, so I applied for another birth certificate from the county where she was born. Well, the passport arrived before the back up birth certificate did. The passport came in exactly four weeks. The application went from Wisconsin to Los Angeles for processing.

You Can Check The Status Of Your Passport By Going To The Dept. Of State Website, Click Travel, Then Type In The Required Information.....usually Takes About 5 Weeks From The Time The Application Is Handed In......referee

re: Is your passport/whatever REQUIRED for excursions?

May not be required, but do not forget, you are in a FOREIGN country and you are no longer on the cruiseship. Getting on and off a cruise ship is OFTEN but not always fairly easy.

But as someone mentioned, if you are stranded in a FOREIGN country, you should have the proper papers.

And yes, you normally (always?) send an original birth certificate to the passport folks. Scary thought, but that is how they do it.

Thanks happen.

Depending where you live, there are some sites where you can pay extra and get your passport on the spot. I live in CT and know there are such places in Stamford and Norwalk....also in NYC. You do need an appointment (not too hard to get).:)

Archived