Day One of Cruise: What Happens?

rizello

Hello:

On our Malta-Greek Isles Cruise, we embark and then spend  the next day also in Malta.

What events, if any, typically occur on embarkation day?  There aren't any excursions, but does Viking organize any activities, welcome events, etc?  Or is everyone on their own to just get settled, relax, and enjoy a nice meal while preparing for the first day of cruise activities?  

I'm just trying to picture what occurs on embarkation day.  It looks like muster is done electronically so that probably makes life much simpler.  

Thanks!

It's usually low key, and may be even more low key now due to Covid.  My experience has been that by the time most people get to the ship, do the muster (however it's done), unpack, walk around the ship to orient themselves, possibly meet the room attendant, try to make or change Manfredi/Chef Table reservations or change/book/cancel excursions, check out the stuff on the Viking TV, etc. it's dinner time.  And many people are tired from traveling/jetlag, so it's not exactly a day in which much is planned, or perhaps even wanted!  Some people may go off the ship on embarkation day or night (on itineraries with an overnight) to sightsee, but I'm guessing those people are a minority.   So yes, you'll probably be on your own to just get settled, relax, enjoy a nice meal, etc.