Thanks for the Children's Presence Comments

CruisinGrams

Thanks everyone for your observations from previous cruises and personal experience. I know a 4.5 year old can also change into a demon from hell inside of a few seconds and back to an angel just as quickly. He is very accustomed to going out for dinner and doesn't mind sitting, but he has picked up a few bad habits from daycare, which we are working on. We have asked for a table for 4, so we don't disturb anyone at dinner and if he just can't handle it we will take him to the Lido or order room service. He loves the pool and the hot tub at home, so it will be a challenge to turn down his enthusiasm as he can already swimm farely well but doesn't have great stroke technique to prevent splashing. Club HAL will be fun as he really loves daycare. I feel so much better after reading your responses. Children learn from example and several hundred adults behaving well is a good lesson for him too. I have also seen some passengers that should have been confined to quarters for their poor behaviour and rudeness. Happy Cruising everyone.:)

You're very welcome, CruisinGrams. The cruise we are taking as a family this summer will be our first cruise ever, and I made sure to do the research before I chose HAL. I wouldn't have picked them if I thought my children would be made to feel unwelcome. Now, you go and enjoy your cruise and time together with your daughter and grandson. Make some happy memories!:)

We took our grandson and his parents on the Maasdam when he was 3 years old. He was, and still is, a very well behaved child. Of course, he is not perfect. He was welcomed aboard by passengers and crew.

The key to his acceptance was the fact that his parents and grandparents decided in advanced that this would be a child centered cruise. Everthing we did was based on the needs and wants of our three year old. Like you, we had our own table in the dining room. We took care that was not placed in a situation that was too stressful or taxing for him. We played alot. We brought our own videos and toys. We removed him from situations before he had a melt down.

The crew were wonderful. In the evening, at dinner when my daughter took Ryan back to their cabin in the middle of our entree she was surprised to find a steward there with a fresh entree for her and for Ryan. She did not expect that. She had asked her husband to bring her some food after he finished eating.

We enjoyed our cruise with our grandson. We will certainly repeat the experience as soon as his sister is a bit older. She just turned 19 months. He still remembers his cruise. Just a few minutes ago he looked at my screen and saw the picture of the ship at the top of the page and asked if it was the Maasdam. He loved dressing up for dinner because he looked like his father and grandfather. He said my daughter and I were princesses. He thought all of the women were princesses and told them so.

Enjoy your family cruise. It is a wonderful experience. Yes, you will be welcome. Yes every member of your family will be welcome. If there are a few people who do not feel that way, they can stew in their own misery. Some people just need to be miserable. If they did not have your grandchild to be miserable about they would surely find something else.

We found our grandson to be delightful. Other people onboard expressed delight as well. I'm sure this will be your experience. What a gift.

Have a wonderful time.:)

Linda

You're very welcome, CruisinGrams. The cruise we are taking as a family this summer will be our first cruise ever, and I made sure to do the research before I chose HAL. I wouldn't have picked them if I thought my children would be made to feel unwelcome. Now, you go and enjoy your cruise and time together with your daughter and grandson. Make some happy memories!:)

Took our kids on the Zaandam last March and they absolutely loved it! I am sure your kids will like it also! In my opinion, you did your research well!

CrusinGrams- Please let us all know how it turned out!

If he is a usual kid, don't miss the fresh baked pizza in the Lido or the ice cream area either!!!:D

He will think he is in kid heaven!;)

We took our daughters on the Zaandam to Alaska in 2002 when they were 8, 12 and 15. They had a wonderful time and they were treated royally by the staff. We were on the Windsurf this past summer to Greece and Italy when they were 11, 15 and 18 and again an amazing experience. There were only around 10 kids on that cruise and everyone of them had a great time. Our kids loved being pampered by the staff. This July we are going on the Rotterdam to Scandanavia and Russia. My kids love the experience of the ship and all that they see in port. We love sailing on Holland America.

. He loves the pool and the hot tub at home, so it will be a challenge to turn down his enthusiasm as he can already swimm farely well but doesn't have great stroke technique to prevent splashing. .:)

It is not the splashing from swiming that people object to. It is the cannonballs and splash fights that effect others, you get the picture. ;)

Archived