PCR Test Pre-Cruise Question

rbslos18

2 hours ago, geffric said:

Iceland requires a negative PCR test  taken 72 hours prior to departure.

Iceland are happy with both a negative PCR or Antigen test providing you can provide evidence of full vaccination.

In some territories Viking have added an additional burden by stating that only a negative PCR test will suffice. This maybe being cautious but it is not what the Icelandic Authorities website is saying.

Viking in the UK have finally said that a negative antigen test will be acceptable.

• Thanks 1

Can you help me to understand what cruise you are on and when. 

I am not sure any of the Welcome Back cruises are touching Italy. 

If you are not cruising until later this year or early next year, you are better off waiting to much nearer the time to ask such questions as the situations are changing very quickly at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

Can you help me to understand what cruise you are on and when. 

I am not sure any of the Welcome Back cruises are touching Italy. 

If you are not cruising until later this year or early next year, you are better off waiting to much nearer the time to ask such questions as the situations are changing very quickly at the moment. 

Good idea.

Check your airline's web site. AA states that Italy was opened 6/21/21 to fully vaccinated US passengers without a PCR test. All rules are subject to change. The airlines are the gate keepers. I will check monthly then weekly starting in Nov. We are on the 12/22 cruise. Rome to Istanbul.

Viking will update their requirements as the date nears.

We plan on getting tested prior to the flight anyway.Just to be safe.

Hello:

I am hoping to have some updated guidance on this question, especially from those of you that have already journeyed successfully to Malta.  I know things change all the time, but I am interested to see what is happening on the ground now.  I very much appreciate all the insight and tips that current and past cruisers have provided thus far.

We are on the Malta Greek Isles cruise, so I am interested in the requirements for entering Malta.

--As I understand it, Viking requires/strongly recommends a PCR test before arrival.

--From what I can see, Malta does not require a PCR test.  They only require proof of vaccination, at least for adults.

-- What about countries one is transiting through?  We are transiting through Munich.  Do we need to meet the requirements for entry into Germany also?  I don't see that they need the PCR test either. From what I can see on their site, they require ONE of the following:  vaccination, negative PCR result, or proof of Covid recovery

Questions:

• when does the 72 hours start?  for our final arrival in Malta, I assume at Malta time?  Or is 72 hours at boarding of the airplane?  if so, which airplane if several segments?
  • Will the airline require proof of negative result just for us to board the plane at our starting airport?  do they check to see what is needed for the final destination and determine whether one can even get on the plane?

Thanks again for reading this and providing any guidance for those of us yet to journey.  At this point the PCR test is the most daunting requirement since it is so time sensitive.  

59 minutes ago, rizello said:

Hello:

I am hoping to have some updated guidance on this question, especially from those of you that have already journeyed successfully to Malta.  I know things change all the time, but I am interested to see what is happening on the ground now.  I very much appreciate all the insight and tips that current and past cruisers have provided thus far.

We are on the Malta Greek Isles cruise, so I am interested in the requirements for entering Malta.

--As I understand it, Viking requires/strongly recommends a PCR test before arrival.

--From what I can see, Malta does not require a PCR test.  They only require proof of vaccination, at least for adults.

-- What about countries one is transiting through?  We are transiting through Munich.  Do we need to meet the requirements for entry into Germany also?  I don't see that they need the PCR test either. From what I can see on their site, they require ONE of the following:  vaccination, negative PCR result, or proof of Covid recovery

Questions:

• when does the 72 hours start?  for our final arrival in Malta, I assume at Malta time?  Or is 72 hours at boarding of the airplane?  if so, which airplane if several segments?
  • Will the airline require proof of negative result just for us to board the plane at our starting airport?  do they check to see what is needed for the final destination and determine whether one can even get on the plane?

Thanks again for reading this and providing any guidance for those of us yet to journey.  At this point the PCR test is the most daunting requirement since it is so time sensitive.  

You are correct. At this time, Malta does not require PCR test for entry, nor does Germany require one for transiting. We are planning to make a reservation to get tested two days before flying, but if no requirement at that time, we’ll skip it. Most countries will give a few days notice if their requirements change.

• Like 1