Princess wheelchair assistance

1.  When arriving at the port in Fort Lauderdale, once the porters take my baggage, will there be wheelchair assistance available to get me through check-in? And then onto the ship?

2. I will be leaving my rental scooter in my cabin... when it's time to disembark...Will the wheelchair personnel come to your cabin and get you?

Thanks

9 hours ago, FoghornLeghorn said:

1.  When arriving at the port in Fort Lauderdale, once the porters take my baggage, will there be wheelchair assistance available to get me through check-in? And then onto the ship?

2. I will be leaving my rental scooter in my cabin... when it's time to disembark...Will the wheelchair personnel come to your cabin and get you?

Thanks

1.   There are wheelchair pushers to get you through check-in and on to the ship.   There may be two different people (sometimes people who work for the Port will push you part of the way and then the ship's wheelchair pushers take over).   We typically have had 2 different people doing the pushing.  The ship's wheelchair pusher also may be able to push you all the way to your room upon embarkation and you can get your scooter at that point.  

2.   When it's time do disembark you should see something in the newsletter towards the end of the cruise or maybe a separate flyer left in your room about the meeting area for people who need wheelchair assistance off the ship.  If you don't see anything specific to wheelchairs, ask the front desk where and when to meet for wheelchair assistance.    Also ask if it's possible to take your scooter to the meeting area and leave it there (I have seen this done) instead of in your room.    You might be able to get some of this information ahead of time by contacting Princess' Access Dept:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

On 7/28/2021 at 8:39 AM, kokopelli-az said:

2.   ...  "Also ask if it's possible to take your scooter to the meeting area and leave it there (I have seen this done) instead of in your room."   

I just rented a scooter from Scootaround and it specifically states that if you pick up your scooter in your room (or in the terminal) that you have to leave it in your room (or terminal) upon debarkation.

A Scootaround rep just called me confirming the reservation and specifically said that (in our case) the scooter needs to be left in the room upon debarkation or they charge a fee to locate your scooter.

I guess too many people were not leaving their scooters where they were supposed to.  

There's a separate drop-off spot at Ft. Lauderdale for those needing wheelchair assistance - it's before you get to the regular luggage dropoff.  Just ask anyone directing traffic.  From there you'll get your name on a list, and they wheel people into the terminal, to get you checked in.  They typically wheel you right up to the ship, after which someone from the ship itself takes over, and will wheel you to your cabin.

I rent from Special Needs at Sea, and I've always taken my scooter to the wheelchair assistance meeting place when disembarking - I've never left the scooter in the cabin.  After 5-6 cruises, it's never been a problem - BUT it's been 2 years since I last cruised, so it's possible things have changed.  As chaotic as disembarkation is, I certainly wouldn't count on anyone coming to my cabin to get me.