New to WiFi On the Ship

80sGal

Help please!  My DH is convinced that even though we have bought the WiFi Package that we still need a package from our local carrier.  I have no desire to use the service but he wants it ... but how does this all work?  We got the midlevel pkg.  Does he need something from our carrier too?  Any input on how connectivity at sea works is much appreciated!   

Edited by 80sGal

When the ship pulls out of port, put your phone in airplane mode and leave it there.  Connect to Wifi and enter your required info.  You'll be set for the entire cruise.  Don't take your phone out of airplane mode until you get back. 

Nothing you need to do with your carrier unless you want connectivity while on an excursion in port somewhere. Even then, most US carriers don't require any special package anymore and some even offer low tier stuff (texting and really slow data) for free.

Edited by geaux_aces
  • Thanks 1

No, you won’t need anything from your carrier. You’ll be able to log on from one device at a time. So, you can use your phone, iPad or computer. You don’t have to use the same device…you can switch to any device…one at a time. The big question is how well the ships Wi-Fi is. Some are slow no matter what package you buy. Hopefully a new ship like the Mardi Gras will have great Wi-Fi. 

• Thanks 1

Also, if you have AT&T, they offer a free plan for phone & data in Mexico that you can add to your wireless plan. It's called Roam Mexico. It allows us to use our phone in port to get directions, etc, and make calls & texts. Then, back to Airplane mode when back on the ship.

• Thanks 1

If I want to occasionally read email, what do I need to buy/do?  Thanks.  New to Carnival and on previous cruises, someone else handled family emails.  Is Carnival's wifi secure?  Thanks.

AT&T also has a plan you can turn on that charge s you $10 per day  to be able to use your phone on a lot of the Caribbean Islands. It only charges you if you use it.  We put phones in airplane mode as soon as we get on ship. Once we go ashore we switch it out of airplane mode and use it just like we regularly would.

• Thanks 1