Coming to the end of our July 28 AmaMagna Cruise

Hbgyergers

Thank you soooo much for taking the trouble and time to post these daily newsletters from your trip. So helpful.

What are some of the things you'd do differently now that you've had this experience and know what you know. Our first-ever river cruise (AMALea) is coming up this November. I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes that they don't end up canceling it.

23 hours ago, Nylorac said:

Thank you soooo much for taking the trouble and time to post these daily newsletters from your trip. So helpful.

What are some of the things you'd do differently now that you've had this experience and know what you know. Our first-ever river cruise (AMALea) is coming up this November. I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes that they don't end up canceling it.

An excellent question and one I've been pondering for a little bit.  Frankly there really isn't much different in preparing for our trip that I would do.  My wife said that she would pack better sneakers - you do SO much walking.  Your feet will thank you if you're not overly fashion-conscious!  We were fortunate enough to have an excellent TA who stayed on top of things, which was very hard to do, particularly when the U.S. staff of AmaWaterways wasn't always up to speed on the changes that were made on the website or by the European staff.  I don't mean to denigrate them - things were constantly changing and any large travel organization would have had difficulty keeping up.  Thankfully our TA was in daily contact and always kept us apprised of things.  I would say just continue to do your research and be flexible.  As for anything I would do differently while on our trip, again I don't there really is anything.  The experience is such a whirlwind and you have to be prepared for that.  For example, we knew ahead of time that the AmaMagna had a free washer and dryer on board and we built in time during our plans to squeeze that in.  Perhaps if our ship had been completely booked it might have been more difficult to do this but at only half capacity we had no issues getting the laundry room key and running a couple of loads while we were up on the sundeck cruising along.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sunpsyche said:

Great information, thank you so much for posting. How did you like Český Krumlov? 

Loved it!  Once you cross under the Plášťový most (the bridge that looks like a Roman aqueduct) you feel like you're in a fairy tale town.  If your time is limited, don't over do things.  Take the advice I saw somewhere and just find a cafe along the Vltava river, get a beer and maybe something to eat, and watch the kayakers and rafters go by.  You can walk most of the rest of the town in just an hour or two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hbgyergers said:

Loved it!  Once you cross under the Plášťový most (the bridge that looks like a Roman aqueduct) you feel like you're in a fairy tale town.  If your time is limited, don't over do things.  Take the advice I saw somewhere and just find a cafe along the Vltava river, get a beer and maybe something to eat, and watch the kayakers and rafters go by.  You can walk most of the rest of the town in just an hour or two.

This is one of the places we’re most excited to see, thanks! DH likes your advice about the beer, cheers!🍻