for those who are cruising this week Covid testing cost

joelheather

9 minutes ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

All primary physicians will test you if you have symptoms no questions asked so I don’t feel bad in the least doing what I have to do to get my test covered at an urgent care or CVS/Walgreens. I didn’t create the situation that’s mandating I test before I go therefore I don’t feel bad using the system to my advantage to not have to pay.. I got vaccinated just so I could travel and now that’s not enough so no guilt on my end saying I have been exposed and have symptoms to not pay $300 for test for my wife and I.. 

As I said, I will not judge anyone who chooses to go that route but for me and my family I don't feel comfortable taking a test from someone who is truly sick.  Unfortunately in my area rapid tests for those without showing symptoms, there simply are not supplies.  Worst case scenario I can pay for a rapid test out of pocket and hope my insurance reimburses me. 

6 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

Unfortunately in my area they are out of supplies for the rapid tests so both Walgreens and Legacy Go Health have no appointment available unless you are feeling symptoms.  While I won't judge anyone else for saying they are feeling symptoms in order to get a test, I simply don't feel that I would OK utilizing 3 tests when others who are sick actually need them.

I do have a PCR test scheduled for Wednesday but I am worried because they say results typically come within a day of when the samples are picked up.  If it is picked up on Wednesday, I should have results on Thursday but it could be on Friday.  Since my flight is on Friday, I'm nervous.

Does anyone have the link for where I can buy 3 of the Emed home tests?

I'm in Portland too and also having a hard time finding a rapid test --- no luck at Walgreens or Legacy GoHealth Urgent Care (which said they are not testing for travel).  Rite Aid said they only do PCR and told me it could take 2-5 days (so i ruled that out).  I found a Covid  Clinic in Tigard (near the Washington Square Mall that charges $129 for the rapid antigen test.  I'm thinking of buying the home test kit as a back up too.  Where did you get the PCR test scheduled?

I have a question about the testing method. Does any of the approved tests not use the “stick the swab up your nose till it comes out of your eyeballs” method? I hated that method, and have tremendous anxiety about having to do that type of test. Btw… I am fully vaccinated. 

7 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

I'm in Portland too and also having a hard time finding a rapid test --- no luck at Walgreens or Legacy GoHealth Urgent Care (which said they are not testing for travel).  Rite Aid said they only do PCR and told me it could take 2-5 days (so i ruled that out).  I found a Covid  Clinic in Tigard (near the Washington Square Mall that charges $129 for the rapid antigen test.  I'm thinking of buying the home test kit as a back up too.  Where did you get the PCR test scheduled?

Hi neighbor!  I scheduled here as soon as the requirement was announced.  Hopefully they still have some open appointments.

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test

Another options might be Zoomcare.  It appears they are also doing testing but they require a “virtual visit” prior to allowing you to test and I wasn’t sure if they accept insurance.

When are you cruising?

2 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

Hi neighbor!  I scheduled here as soon as the requirement was announced.  Hopefully they still have some open appointments.

Another options might be Zoomcare.  It appears they are also doing testing but they require a “virtual visit” prior to allowing you to test and I wasn’t sure if they accept insurance.

When are you cruising?

Thanks Neigbor!😊

I’ll check out Quest Diagnostics too!  If insurance won’t cover it, I don’t mind paying for it…as long as I can schedule it and have piece of mind.  I actually don’t sail until December.  I know these new rules are currently until 10/31, but I’m prepared for them to extend it considering the delta variant.  So I’m just doing some research to be prepared.

our Walgreens used to have a lot of availability not too long ago and now nothing.    I was looking into it for a trip to Hawaii (but Hawaii has since stopped the testing requirement if vaccinated).  

4 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

When are you cruising?

Thanks for the info on Quest!  I was able to schedule appointments for my husband, my mom, and me for December!  I was surprised they could schedule that far out but happy about it.  Can have some peace of mind now. Thanks again!

Because we are cruising on Tuesday we needed to get tested on Saturday.  We could have received a free test with no guarantee that the lab would test it on time due to the weekend so we opted for a quick test that cost $129 each and were given a receipt to try to get reimbursed by our insurance.  We will try, but are not overly optimistic. However, the good news is we got our negative results in less than 30 minutes so we are heading to Seattle tomorrow to get on the Miracle on Tuesday!

• Like 3

On 8/14/2021 at 5:45 AM, madamerkf said:

I have a question about the testing method. Does any of the approved tests not use the “stick the swab up your nose till it comes out of your eyeballs” method? I hated that method, and have tremendous anxiety about having to do that type of test. Btw… I am fully vaccinated. 

I did the "stick" test at CVS in Rockland County, NY.  You administer it yourself while a CVS associate watches you.  It was very easy.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, madamerkf said:

Did you have to stick it all the way up your nose? How long did it take to get the results? Did they charge you?

My last Covid test was in March 2021.  It took approx. 24 hrs. to get the results via email. Since it's self administered while associate watches you, you can be gentile on yourself. Not very painful at all.  CVS did not charge.  It is a very easy process.  Good luck to you. 

Here in Albuquerque, I found a locally owned lab that provides the Rapid test for $50. I would not lie to my insurance company just to get a free test. Had plenty of appointments, so scheduled Wednesday afternoon at 3:45 Pm and promised results by Thursday noon. If both of us are negative, we will start packing!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, FloridaMommyof3 said:

I live in Central Florida and just looked it up at the Minute Clinic at CVS and appointments and testing is wide open.  I could get an appointment tonight if I wanted one.

Maybe for a PCR test but the antigen tests are booked solid around me thankfully I made my appointment two weeks ago and go in tomorrow for Saturday. 

10 hours ago, roboref said:

Here in Albuquerque, I found a locally owned lab that provides the Rapid test for $50. I would not lie to my insurance company just to get a free test. Had plenty of appointments, so scheduled Wednesday afternoon at 3:45 Pm and promised results by Thursday noon. If both of us are negative, we will start packing!

We are also in ABQ.  If you don't mind sharing the name of the lab, it would be appreciated.   Thanks!

30 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Got tested today at cvs for my Saturday sailing walked in gave em my Drivers license and did the test and walked out didn’t have to pay anything.

Also now have my negative test result for Saturday 

Which test did you do? How fast did you get the results?

FWIW, this morning we went to a Walgreens drive-thru in the Richmond, VA suburbs and took the antigen test for our Saturday cruise on the Magic. We truthfully answered all of the questions when signing up the past Monday morning - basically 'yes' to travel and 'no' to all of the Were you referred / Have you been exposed / are you showing symptoms questions. They didn't charge us anything and didn't ask for our insurance information - 45 minutes after leaving we received our negative test <tosses confetti> so we leave tomorrow! Also - this was our last-minute Plan B after CVS nonchalantly cancelled the tests we had scheduled two weeks earlier without reason. We received the cancellation on Monday morning, panicked, but were relieved to find appointments available at Walgreens.

Go Walgreens, boo CVS! If you're concerned, try to determine your Plan B in advance in case of Cancellation Drama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, imallears said:

You can only book your appointment up to 3 days in advance of when you need to be tested. That is why you are seeing no availability. 

CVS let's you book a rapid test 2 weeks out. I scheduled one for the 28th for a cruise on the Magic the 30th. Unfortunately I have to drive 80 miles round trip but it's the closest one that does rapid 

Three of us took the Rapid PCR/NAAT test and the 4th member of our team took the Rapid Antigen test at CVS that we booked two weeks ago for our Saturday sailing on the Vista.   

The Rapid PCR/NAAT test results (negative wooo hooo!!!!!!) came back in about 90 minutes; the Rapid Antigen Test came back in about 20 minutes (negative also WOOOO HOOO!).  We accessed the results on MyChart (a CVS platform to get your info) and were able to print which meets CCL standards.  

Answered yes to #1 and no to the rest on the questionnaires from CVS when signing up.  All that was required from us was a Photo ID.  No insurance required.  No fee.

Now, bring me the horizon! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 6:29 AM, dragonsdesyre said:

We are also in ABQ.  If you don't mind sharing the name of the lab, it would be appreciated.   Thanks!

Southwest Labs

ABQ Osuna
4500 Osuna Rd NE Suite 130
info@southwestlab.com
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM

505-433-3985

They had appoinments available all days this week. Arrived at 325 out by 4pm and had results by 540pm.

$50 + tax No insurance

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH

We cruise in 2 weeks. We live at Port Canaveral and we have called around, they are so swamped around here, they are saying no tests for travel, only exposure or illness.

So, cash or no cash, it's now lie or no cruise.

Good thing is, so bad here, no one would question potential exposure