Will the Jade make it to Africa?

Lvntrvl

14 hours ago, casofilia said:

@mscdivina2016

...have it booked as one 36 day cruise.

Hello Steve

You have Athens-Dubai-Cape Town booked as one cruise?   Be very careful.

Last year we had the Spirit cruises; Dubai-Cape Town and Cape Town-Singapathens booked as a single cruise.

We received NO information about changes to the Cape Town-Singapathens cruise from NCL Miami directly, we only got it from Cruise Critic or actually on board.   Because we had a single booking through Sydney we were not actually in the data base in Miami for the second leg.

It actually took us 6 months and hundreds of emails between us and Sydney before the refunds, FCC transfers and so on were sorted out.   Luckily I had an excellent PCC in Sydney who admitted she only stayed with NCL till it was sorted and left the company as soon as it was.

We did get help from someone in NCL's British office's legal department who was brought in after about 5 months and sorted it out quite quickly.

All the best

Mike

Hi Mike,

I actually tried to split the 36 days into two 18 day sailings last week. That is why I was given a few extra days to decide. I have thru this weekend.

Steve

13 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Huntingdon1701

Even IF South Africa did open up would you still travel if you couldn't go to the islands?

My South Africa cruise doesn't go to the islands, so yes. In my earlier post I was referring to the caribbean islands, if that caused confusion.

After the past 18 months, I don't mind a cruise with more sea days than port calls, but I would like to get ashore a few times during it. Not interested in cruises to nowhere. Unfortunately, the 'safe' options at the moment are all ones I have cruised several times before.

14 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I suppose it is worth reflecting that both the UK and US had that sort of language in place, but both subsequently permitted very regulated cruising before the complete removal of other restrictions. South Africa could conceivably do the same, if their cases drop rapidly in Summer. But I would have expected cruise lines to need more advance certainty than that. 

The current situation requires the ministry to convene and remove all lockdown protocols. Basically declare Covid is over.

As long as levels exist, there are no cruises to Africa. They even specifically stare cruise ships in the lockdown levels.

Steve

Just now, mscdivina2016 said:

The current situation requires the ministry to convene and remove all lockdown protocols. Basically declare Covid is over.

As long as levels exist, there are no cruises to Africa. They even specifically stare cruise ships in the lockdown levels.

Steve

As my post acknowledged? The US and the UK also had similar situations with explicit bans on cruising but ultimately chose to amend and relax them as the pandemic evolved. Legislation can always be changed if politicians think there is a reason for doing so. 

1 minute ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

My South Africa cruise doesn't go to the islands, so yes. In my earlier post I was referring to the caribbean islands, if that caused confusion.

So you are booked on the 12 day around the horn sailings.

Many of us are Dubai to Capetown which had 5 island ports.

Steve

Just now, Huntingdon1701 said:

As my post acknowledged? The US and the UK also had similar situations with explicit bans on cruising but ultimately chose to amend and relax them as the pandemic evolved. Legislation can always be changed if politicians think there is a reason for doing so. 

Absolutely correct. 

Steve

• Like 1

Just now, mscdivina2016 said:

Many of us are Dubai to Capetown which had 5 island ports.

Steve

I am, and yes, I know. It's exceedingly unlikley my cruise will sail if yours doesn't, so I'm watching to get a sense of when NCL's nerve breaks and we become eligible for refunds without loss of deposit (UK rules). 

11 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@mscdivina2016

Steve

I had to smile; either Horn (Africa or South America) is a long way from the Cape!!  VBG

Mike

HI Mike,

Thats right, the African horn is North.  I should have said East and West ports of South Africa.

No, I am on the Athens to Dubia 18 day and Dubai to Cape town 18 day.

I have actually done the South American horn.

STeve

On 9/17/2021 at 9:48 PM, PE851 said:

Extremely odd. I will contact them in the morning. Our fares are fully paid!

I contacted them and they did not even appear to be concerned about the government gazette notice. The only thing that they mentioned, is that their MSC bookings are almost sold out and tht the NCL bookings were doing well! We can but only hope and pray now. This is my 88 year old mother's treat to herself and us. She is so looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PE851 said:

I contacted them and they did not even appear to be concerned about the government gazette notice. The only thing that they mentioned, is that their MSC bookings are almost sold out and tht the NCL bookings were doing well! We can but only hope and pray now. This is my 88 year old mother's treat to herself and us. She is so looking forward to it. 

MSC did not get government approval to sail South Africa so there is no 2021 sailing and as of now, no 2022 sailings yet.

STeve

5 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

There's one MSC sailing to Durban in May 2022, but that's a lot further off than the Jade situation. 

I assume no-one on the Suez Canal cruise has had a cancellation yet? The delay is a bit frustrating. 

Here's the info on cancellations. 

https://www.capetown.travel/msc-cancels-all-cruises-to-cape-town/

I do not see a mention of 2022, yest I have not seen online that they are approved for 2022.

Steve

5 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Here's the info on cancellations. 

https://www.capetown.travel/msc-cancels-all-cruises-to-cape-town/

I do not see a mention of 2022, yest I have not seen online that they are approved for 2022.

Steve

It's advertised on the website - Musica cruise leaving Dubran on 11 May 22 for Venice.  

Your link only covers the 2020/21 season, and actually says "The company is hoping to resume all operations in the country during their next local cruise season which begins in November 2021."

And 

"we are optimistic for the future about cruise holidays in South Africa and for the 2021/22 season we will offer our guests, with whom we already have a long-standing relationship, memorable, relaxing and safe holidays on board two MSC Cruises ships based in the country for the first time.”

"MSC are planning to bring two ships to South Africa during their 2021/2022 cruise season where one of the ships, MSC Lirica, will be homeported in Cape Town. This will mark the first time that two different class MSC Cruises’ ships will be deployed in the country simultaneously."

I think that messaging is obsolete (doesn't have a publication date), but it could be what is influencing the travel agents mentioned earlier. 

Edited by Huntingdon1701
Added bold to 2022 references

But if you do actually look at the MSC website for South Africa, it has 13 cruises available starting from 13 November 2021 and running through to 4th May 2022. 

Perhaps they're hoping for a local restart with South African passengers only. That's what happened in the UK, aimed at giving the Government proof that they could operate safely and at a later date open up to international passengers. 

Not sure it necessarily helps us predict what will happen with the Jade though. 

25 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

But if you do actually look at the MSC website for South Africa, it has 13 cruises available starting from 13 November 2021 and running through to 4th May 2022. 

I see/saw that.   I am actually am booked on 3 MSC cruises with the latest booked 2 weeks ago, this year and they are advertising Grand Cayman as a stop.    Grand Cayman is closed this year, yet I am sailing there this year with them. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-cayman-islands-plans-to-reopen-for-cruises-in-late-january-2022/53157

Yet they are still selling up to 2 weeks ago. LOL

Steve

@aussie cruzer

Since early September I have been watching the prices of the 4 Jade cruises we are on next year in NZ currency Inside.

Jade 2022   4-Sep 19-Sep 26-Sep

Athens Return   1585 1585 1795
Athens-Dubai   4601 4886 5306
Dubai-Cape Town   4763 4763 5043
Cape Town Return   3300 3300 3300

How much more will they go up? especially after this years cruises are cancelled!!

Mike

7 minutes ago, aussie cruzer said:

Ncl are playing games..I believe in the tooth fairy too.

I find it borderline unethical, that they sell cruises for ports, that are not only closed, but does not show any signs of opening anytime soon. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EnClair said:

I find it borderline unethical, that they sell cruises for ports, that are not only closed, but does not show any signs of opening anytime soon. 

Very true,I'm booked on the Dubai to Athens return leg.Flights payed,2 nights accommodation in Dubai pre cruise fully payed.

There is no way this years Cape Town cruises are 3-4 thousand cheaper than next year..why.

Personally I've paid 2 K in shore excursions for a cruise that won't happen.

I have paid deposit and for the flights booked through NCL. I would like to know, what happens if  I choose to book a different cruise. Can I transfer the deposit to a new cruise? And what about the flight tickets? Will the money be refunded? It is not very likely, that I will use the same airline at a different cruise. 

I have tried to contact NCL several times, but I have not received an answer yet.

2 hours ago, EnClair said:

I have paid deposit and for the flights booked through NCL. I would like to know, what happens if  I choose to book a different cruise. Can I transfer the deposit to a new cruise? And what about the flight tickets? Will the money be refunded? It is not very likely, that I will use the same airline at a different cruise. 

I have tried to contact NCL several times, but I have not received an answer yet.

You are booked on the Africa cruise leaving in mid November?