Pregnant and cruising

MissouriGirl

I am taking my first cruise in a couple of weeks, and I am about 5 months pregnant. While the NCL literature states that they will not allow anyone past 24 weeks pregnant to sail, I have a note from my doctor and signed a waiver with NCL which allows me to sail. Has anyone been in this situation before? Did the cruise give you any problems when boarding? I just want everything to go smoothly.

I am taking my first cruise in a couple of weeks, and I am about 5 months pregnant. While the NCL literature states that they will not allow anyone past 24 weeks pregnant to sail, I have a note from my doctor and signed a waiver with NCL which allows me to sail. Has anyone been in this situation before? Did the cruise give you any problems when boarding? I just want everything to go smoothly.
I will be very honest, my boss had a client recently in the same situation. Yes, NCL gave her trouble. Has NCL said you are ok to cruise with the doctors note? The client was able to board and did have an awesome cruise, but it was not a very happy time when embarkation came around. Make sure NCL has approved everything ahead of time. Have a great time, everything will be fine as long as you have all the paper work in order. NMnita

Congrats Missouri girl!! I will be sailing in 2 1/2 weeks and will be 4 months pregnant. To be honest, and not that it might matter to you now, but I never disclosed that I was pregnant. My TA told me that this wasn't necessary and as long as I have a healthy pregnancy no one needs to know. If I find myself in an emergency situation my care would be handled the exact same way and the same precautions would be extended to me. Doc and nurse on board, etc. I will have to limit my shore excursions which is disappointing so I am wondering what type of activities you will attend. Hope everything works out for you!

Congrats Missouri girl!! I will be sailing in 2 1/2 weeks and will be 4 months pregnant. To be honest, and not that it might matter to you now, but I never disclosed that I was pregnant. My TA told me that this wasn't necessary and as long as I have a healthy pregnancy no one needs to know. If I find myself in an emergency situation my care would be handled the exact same way and the same precautions would be extended to me. Doc and nurse on board, etc. I will have to limit my shore excursions which is disappointing so I am wondering what type of activities you will attend. Hope everything works out for you!

smart but Missouri girl is a little further along: might be hard to hide. LOL

My daughter was with us on our cruise last summer, and began her 25th week the day after our cruise ended. She came with her Doctor's note, but as far as I know, she was never questioned.

Thanks for the insight, everyone. Mariah Ariana, to be on the safe side, you may want to have a doctor's note stating your due date and that your are healthy to travel. You may not need it, but it might be worth it to have just in case.

NMnita, I have already sent my doctor's okay to NCL and they faxed me a release to sign (basically stating that there are not neo-natal services on board so travel at my own risk). I was told to have the original signature documents upon boarding.

In 1989, DW was beginning here 7th month with our first child when we cruised NCL on the Seward, which was new at the time. The doctor cleared the flights and trip. We had no problems with the cruise line, but perhaps the TA informed them.

I don't know what ports you're going to, but the doctor did warn her to be careful when eating and drinking in some ports to avoid any potential problems.

We had a great time, and even won a bottle of bubbly in the twist contest. Everyone treated her like a queen.

I was in the same situation in Feb 2004. I was hitting my 25th week during the cruise. All the previous cruises were booked for weeks, and my 40th was coming and I desperately wanted to go on a cruise.

I had the note from my doctor, faxed it to them before my final payment, and NCL sent it to the ship's doctor, who had to OK it as well. If he didn't accept responsibility, they wouldn't let me go. I had all the paperwork with me, but since it was February in NY when we boarded, no one noticed my big belly under my winter coat. But they did tell me that they would deny you passage if you didn't have the paperwork ahead of time. And I didn't want to take the chance. Several people advised me to not even get the notes or tell NCL, but then they could give you a very hard time if, God forbid, something did happen during the cruise. It was my second child, and my 9th cruise, so I knew what I was getting into, and my doctor wrote as much on my note.

So if you've already gotten their approval, you should be OK.

But now, my warning... get those bracelets incase you get sea-sick. We hit 55 mph winds and 30 foot waves, and I was in bed a whole day, because I couldn't take my usual Marezine which keeps me feeling good. So someone suggested those bracelets, but I was too far gone by then. I was sick all day long. But that didn't stop me from cruising again, we went last summer with both kids, baby being 10 months then, and we leave this Sunday from NY again.

Good luck, and questions, just ask!

Kathy

Hi Everyone !!

Just putting in my 2 cents worth....

I work in OB/GYN and can tell you in the past few cruises I have taken there have been ladies who have been more than 24 weeks pregnant who were cruising. (I can tell by looking) One on a recent Christmas cruise I would estimate she was over 30 weeks....I noticed because I was surprised knowing they have this "policy".

I think if I was in the same situation I would probably go as well....last hurrah before the baby comes.

What you do need to consider is a few things though. Should you deliver (highly unlikely at that gestation) they have the amenities to assist in doing so ...but they do not have the capabilities onboard to support a neonatal. This is the issue. They can take care of mom but not baby should you deliver prematurely. There just wouldn't be enough time as well to Medi Vac to a center that is capable of it as well.

The second issue is cost. Should you be sent to a facility in the islands it would not be covered by ANY insurance policy for payment....in my situation and many others being from Canada...even if it was Miami my insurance policies would not cover this. No insurance policy will cover you if you are out of the country and receive care for complications of pregnancy after 24 weeks. It's sort of the risk you take.

Having said all that....and to show that I am not being a party pooper I would take the chance as well. Just stating the facts.

I am sure you will have a great holiday.....there is hardly such a thing as a bad one.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I was 5 months pregnant when I went on NCL in 2004. I did get a note from the doctor and I was never asked for it on the cruise.

I did meet quite a few pregnant women who were 6+ months and one woman never got a doctor's note and they never questioned her and she looked very pregnant.

I would get the note and go. If you do not look pregnant, they probably won't even question you.....

But I will say that I was treated like a queen :) :)

Enjoy!!!

Riz, I agree with everything you say, plus a couple more things.

I'm a labor nurse and it's amazing how many women (at any point in their pregnancy) come in contracting because of a bladder infection or dehydration. So be very careful about getting enough fluids--especially if you're seasick (but who wants to drink water when they're sick?). And if you start having symptoms of a bladder infection, get thee to the infirmary right away.

The good news is you get to eat all the wonderful food for two!!!

I'm pregnant too, and will be cruising! Sooooo looking forward to it also! I already have my "note" from my midwife saying I'm a-ok to travel. This is baby #4 for hubby and I, so a vacation is needed FOR SURE!! ;) When I told my midwife, about NCL's pregnant policy she just laughed and said, with 4 kids on your hands soon, you are going to NEED this vacation, LOL!

Angela

I saw the same woman in the Olympics Women's Skeleton. Of all of the events, this is the least likely one for a pregnant woman. As a nurse who used to manage a maternity center, I was scared for her - going 80 miles an hour downhill on ice face down, WOW!!

Re: cruising, the others nurses on this board have covered all contingencies (hmmm, do more nurses cruise than those in other professions:? ;)) Just be cautious in the same ways that you would at home and see the MD/Nurse onboard for any concerns. Have a great trip and a healthy baby!

Thanks for the insight, everyone. Mariah Ariana, to be on the safe side, you may want to have a doctor's note stating your due date and that your are healthy to travel. You may not need it, but it might be worth it to have just in case.

NMnita, I have already sent my doctor's okay to NCL and they faxed me a release to sign (basically stating that there are not neo-natal services on board so travel at my own risk). I was told to have the original signature documents upon boarding.

You sound like you have covered all bases. Have a great cruise. NMNita

Archived