Mardi Gras (FAC) Fully accessible cabins

AtSeaWithChris

I'm looking in to renting a scooter for our October cruise since in 2 weeks I am having my 3rd cervical fusion update. I am having trouble seeing a room layout or photos / videos of a FAC balcony room. Does anyone have any info on this or a link to info? Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, SonoranDevil said:

I didn't grab any photos or videos, but I did get an opportunity to view a FAC, if you have any specific questions.  

Were there any weird (I don't mean to offend anyone) things about the layout? Regular shower and furniture? Was it a balcony room and was there any difference in access to the balcony? Is it just a bigger space to accommodate the scooter / wheelchair? thanks! The rooms look like they are almost twice the size of a regular cabin.

5 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Were there any weird (I don't mean to offend anyone) things about the layout? Regular shower and furniture? Was it a balcony room and was there any difference in access to the balcony? Is it just a bigger space to accommodate the scooter / wheelchair? thanks! The rooms look like they are almost twice the size of a regular cabin.

It was your pretty standard layout compared to other cabins, with the extra room.  The bathroom is much larger.  And I can confirm that there is no elevated lip between the room and the balcony, to allow an easy transition.  If you are smart about using the space, parking a scooter inside is certainly doable.  I did see several scooters parked outside of rooms, though I'm unsure if they were staying in FACs.  

We were in cabin 9504.  9502 and 9506, on each side of us, were FACs and both occupants had scooters.  They never left theirs in the hallways.

1 hour ago, SonoranDevil said:

It was your pretty standard layout compared to other cabins, with the extra room.  The bathroom is much larger.  And I can confirm that there is no elevated lip between the room and the balcony, to allow an easy transition.  If you are smart about using the space, parking a scooter inside is certainly doable.  I did see several scooters parked outside of rooms, though I'm unsure if they were staying in FACs.  

We were in cabin 9504.  9502 and 9506, on each side of us, were FACs and both occupants had scooters.  They never left theirs in the hallways.

Thanks! I had sent a question to access@carnival.com and they said that the policy is to not allow the scooters to be parked outside of the rooms at all except for dining and entertainment areas temporarily. So I do not want to chance anything messing us up. So I have an FAC Balcony, 15289, booked. Wow, it's almost twice the regular size.

• Like 1

The only major problem with the HC cabins are the closets.  A regular inside cabin is 185 square ft in the rest of the Carnival fleet and only 158 square ft on the MG.  Even these rooms have four sections of closet space, including a shoe drawer that slides out as well as two metal baskets that also slide.  

The videos I have seen online of both inside as well as an aft facing balcony both only have two sections of closet space, half the space of what a 158 square ft inside cabin has, and I am assuming no sliding show drawer or baskets as well.

8 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Would it be possible for some pictures? If you can get their permission. Thx

The balcony has an automatic door. Push the button, the locking handle turns itself and the door slides open. Then the threshold drops down flat. 

7A77970C-BC62-416F-B932-5FF6C9E94A49.jpeg

A4ADC0AF-3A55-4173-A4B9-1C6C972FA699.jpeg

C3DB58AC-CF70-4915-BBA0-F83DF0DBA96F.jpeg

317F557F-3CD3-4CBE-833D-6D5BEE73F5EB.jpeg

83E32648-95DD-4701-A932-ECB99CD8FF25.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

What's up with the pole in the middle of the cabin?  

My guess it's a support pole, because it's such a long and wide spans, they need the extra support for the floor above it. Just a guess, though. 

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

What's up with the pole in the middle of the cabin?  

I know!! They didn’t mind, but I was a little disappointed. The one to the left as you entered didn’t have that. I just picked off the deck plan for proximity to an elevator. This bank of rooms is offset by the 4 handicaps in a row on 15 starboard and on the other decks this support beam obviously lines up with the walls. This is room 15289.

Edited by KmomChicago

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

My guess it's a support pole, because it's such a long and wide spans, they need the extra support for the floor above it. Just a guess, though. 

I have seen YouTube videos of a standard inside HC, an extended aft HC by JH and an excel HC cabin, and none of those three had poles in the cabin.

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I have seen YouTube videos of a standard inside HC, an extended aft HC by JH and an excel HC cabin, and none of those three had poles in the cabin.

Yeah we just got unlucky. Might be the only such room onboard the daggone boat. 😬 I’m glad they didn’t mind. They were happy to get the extra space for the price of a regular balcony room and they never even mentioned the pole so I didn’t either. Honestly when we first walked in I immediately thought “oh $h1+ really?”

The bigger issue was lack of easy outlets. There was one he used for his Cpap machine but it was really hard to find and access. also they thought there should be another outlet near the bed so you can charge the chair close to the person using it, minimizing steps to the chair if the person really can’t walk. 

The wide room also means a larger balcony which they liked. The pole really didn’t cause any issues and there was ample space for the scooter to park and turn around. Overall they were happy with the room.

• Like 1