Abbott ID Now Covid-19 rapid test

cruise to live

Has anyone used the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 rapid test.  Reading everything, I had one person say it is acceptable, and on another topic, not acceptable.  I sent an email to Carnival on Wednesday, with all the information about it, to see if I can use it.  I imagine, if they respond to me, it will not be for awhile.  My cruise is on Sept.18.  A simple yes or no from them is all I need.

If it is not the kit that is  proctored via video chat like the one from emed.com, then no, it’s not acceptable. It is then a just simply a home test kit and not allowed. They are only accepting proctored home kits where someone certifies your results and you get the digital certificate.  If no one certifies your results via the video proctoring how can the cruise line be sure that’s your swab sample that’s negative. You’d have no documentation to show them, just a test stick to wave at them. . 

• Like 2

To Bafinegan:  The ID NOW, that you show, saids results within 24 hours.  The Abbott test has a different time.  I sent the following email to Carnival, hoping to get approval from them.  AFC Urgent Care South Plainfield, the Urgent Care I use, offers the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 rapid test to detect cases of the live COVID-19 virus.  I would like to know if this is acceptable, to get on the Ship in Sept. This rapid test provides positive results in 5 minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.  It is performed via a molecular instrument, which is more accurate than rapid antigen tests. The Abbott ID NOW test is available under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the FDA. Click here for more information showing the Abbott ID NOW’s COVID-19 testing performance of 95.0% sensitivity and 97.9% specificity within seven days of symptom onset. If you have recently been exposed to someone who has subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 or are exhibiting symptoms of the virus, visit AFC Urgent Care South Plainfield for rapid testing.

15 minutes ago, cruise to live said:

To Bafinegan:  The ID NOW, that you show, saids results within 24 hours.  The Abbott test has a different time.  I sent the following email to Carnival, hoping to get approval from them.  AFC Urgent Care South Plainfield, the Urgent Care I use, offers the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 rapid test to detect cases of the live COVID-19 virus.  I would like to know if this is acceptable, to get on the Ship in Sept. This rapid test provides positive results in 5 minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.  It is performed via a molecular instrument, which is more accurate than rapid antigen tests. The Abbott ID NOW test is available under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the FDA. Click here for more information showing the Abbott ID NOW’s COVID-19 testing performance of 95.0% sensitivity and 97.9% specificity within seven days of symptom onset. If you have recently been exposed to someone who has subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 or are exhibiting symptoms of the virus, visit AFC Urgent Care South Plainfield for rapid testing.

test2.PNG

Edited by bafinegan

Per the Carnival Site, the Abbot ID Now is a NAAT molecular test and is acceptable.

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or 
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR 
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above) are acceptable.

17 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

Per the Carnival Site, the Abbot ID Now is a NAAT molecular test and is acceptable.

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above) are acceptable.

The ID Now test is a rapid test and is not a PCR test (it is a molecular test) and therefore according to the above it is not acceptable.

10 minutes ago, Aussie65 said:

The ID Now test is a rapid test and is not a PCR test (it is a molecular test) and therefore according to the above it is not acceptable.

That is how I interpreted it also.  

I wonder, though, if this is an intentional differentiation or just oversight with terminology. But without further clarity, I’m going the extra mile to pursue a rapid PCR or rapid AG test.

22 minutes ago, Aussie65 said:

I think they are clarifying that if a test says it's a "rapid test" it still counts. NAAT tests listed are all acceptable no matter how fast or slow your results come back. 

ETA: Because the ID NOW test is a molecular test, it is included in the list and is acceptable.

Edited by sassy0930
added clarifying information

22 minutes ago, Aussie65 said:

A rapid test is acceptable if vaccinated. If unvaccinated it has to be a PCR test.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sassy0930 said:

I think they are clarifying that if a test says it's a "rapid test" it still counts. NAAT tests listed are all acceptable no matter how fast or slow your results come back. 

ETA: Because the ID NOW test is a molecular test, it is included in the list and is acceptable.

That’s the ambiguous part.

It says rapid antigen or rapid pcr are acceptable.

not rapid antigen or rapid naat.

ID Now is rapid naat, not rapid pcr.

You may be right,  but it is ambiguous. Why leave it to the interpretation of individual document verifiers at the port?

46 minutes ago, crooooze said:

That’s the ambiguous part.

It says rapid antigen or rapid pcr are acceptable.

not rapid antigen or rapid naat.

ID Now is rapid naat, not rapid pcr.

You may be right,  but it is ambiguous. Why leave it to the interpretation of individual document verifiers at the port?

I think they need to change the wording to 

A rapid antigen or rapid NAAT test (of the test types listed above) is acceptable

but at the very least they need to remove either the first "is acceptable" or the second "are acceptable"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aussie65 said:

From the list above, bold is mine.  NAAT Molecular tests are acceptable, which is what the Abbot ID Now test is.

From the list above, bold is mine. Abbott IDNow test is NOT acceptable because it is a rapid test and not a PCR test

Just a FYI. 
I booked a rapid test through Walgreens here in SWFL   Kind of a test run

well when I got to my appointment the Walgreens said they are not doing Rapid any more. Hopefully get the test results in 72 hours 

Just checked the website again.

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable guests?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test

I looks like they updated the the 1st paragraph to specifically say NAAT test. The Abbot Now is a NAAT test. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

Just checked the website again.

I looks like they updated the the 1st paragraph to specifically say NAAT test. The Abbot Now is a NAAT test. 

It is the last paragraph I am concerned about, the IDNow test is a rapid NAAT test, but it is not a PCR test. (see image attached)

Carnival Covid.png

Edited by Aussie65

9 minutes ago, Aussie65 said:

It is the last paragraph I am concerned about, the IDNow test is a rapid NAAT test, but it is not a PCR test. (see image attached)

Carnival Covid.png

That last line says that rapid antigen and rapid PCR are acceptable.  That line doesn't that only rapid antigen or rapid PCR test are acceptable.  

Additionally, John Heald has responded that the ID Now test was acceptable.

2 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

John Heald has responded that the ID Now test was acceptable.

John Heald has also said he is not a medical person and does not know which specific tests are acceptable and to take the list and ask my pharmacist, that is all good but my pharmacist will not be at the port to tell the person checking my test if it is acceptable. What do the people at the port use to determine if a test id acceptable ( I am assuming they will not be medical people).

I just think this could have been handled way better.

As for me, I will take a standard PCR test 3 days before the cruise and hope the results get back before the cruise, I will also take a rapid antigen test 2 days before the cruise and an IDNow test 2 days before the cruise as a backup.

I would rather have too many of the right type of test than 1 of the wrong type.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sd63 said:

We used the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 rapid test this past Wednesday. We have just boarded the Mardi Gras today. 

Thank you so much for this information, that is what I was looking for. Was there any questions about the test or anything? Did the have a list of acceptable tests. To check against?