What RCI Cozumel excursion do you recommend?

dino76

We are cruising to Cozumel on Enchantment next week. We can't decide what excursion would be best or a good value. We aren't drinkers or big eaters. Enjoy hiking, walking and sightseeing. A beach would be nice, but don't know if we want to spend all day at one. Any help for us two gringos would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

You might try going to the beach at the Chankhanaab national park there. They have a beautiful beach with chairs and umbrellas and some walking trails which are sort of like a botanical garden. There is a little floating pier out in the water for snorkeling. There is a little restaurant on the beach too. A few years ago it cost $10 for cab fare each way and $10 per person admission to the park. It's just a few miles from the pier. We found out about it on these boards and loved the place.

Having just been there in December my recommendation would be to go over to Tulum. Everything on Cozumel is so destroyed from Wilma and we found it very depressing. We stayed and did a snorkel trip which was informative as far as the hurricane damage goes but the reefs are still covered with sand and there is not much to see. Our friends had a wonderful day at Tulum, you can see ruins and still enjoy a beautiful beach.

We didn't do an excursion through RCCL. We just caught a taxi to Paradise Beach, and had an awesome day. (I'm not typically a 'beach person' ...but I loved this place.) It's a beach with a lot of activity...water trampolines, water iceberg, kayaks, floats, etc. All included for only $5 per person. There is parasailing and waverunners about a 5 minute walk down the beach...also a place to get beach massages. We went before the hurricane...you might want to check the Cozumel Ports of Call board to make sure they've re-opened from the hurricane.

I was on the Enchantment 3 weeks ago. I suggest planning something close by like one of the local beaches.

I say this because there has been lots of tendering problems in Cozumel so an excursion like to Tulum or Xel Ha or somewhere like that would require a longer drive or ferry or something really will eat into your day.

For us, it took until 11:30 am for the first tender to get people to the dock. They let passangers with organized excursions thru NCL off on the very first tender. Then after that everyone else takes a tender ticket and waits their turn. I was on the first tender (after the organized tour tender group) and we didn't get off the tender until 11:30!

That tender was huge, I think it held like 600 people so as soon as it was at the ship it got almost everyone off that wanted to go but it was really late in getting there. I'm thinking it must have been tendering at another ship before ours and that is why it took so long to get the tender process started. Maybe you will be lucky with the tenders, who knows but just be prepared for a long tender wait in Cozumel because they just aren't used to the tendering business.

I know that I sound like a broken record, but I really recommend Harry with CozumelTours.com. His island tour is tailored to your interests, and he has lots of fun suggestions on things to do. Go to his website for details. We had the best time ever when we were on Coz in January 2006, and our son had the same experience on February 6. Young or old, you will have a great time with Harry as your personal guide.

LL

Cozumel is the perfect place to not take an excursion. If you like snorkeling, take a taxi to Dzul-ha or Corona Beach. The snorkeling is free. Chankanaab Park is OK, but not one of the better places for snorkeling. Paradise beach would not be good or snorkeling, fish don't like sandy beaches.

last week we took the all terrain truck and snorkle at 2pm..there was only my family of 3 and a family of 3 from swenden. Most of the 4 hour tour was just driving on a long deserted road to the light house. Royal carribean advertised a mexican buffet at the beach. We did not get any food, we were given sodas while the truck bounced around....thus we wore the sodas. Royal caribbean informed me that it is not their problem that we did not get what they advertised... we should have asked the tour guy to eat. We took the tender over at 10 am... our tour was from 2-6pm our son was hungery before the tour...but I said wait... we will eat at the beach. I do not expect to get all 54 dollars per person back...but I thought that royal carribean would at least refund us a few dollars for false advertisment just to keep possible future cruisers happy. I was greatly impressed with the service on the ship....but the shore excursions dept needs to work on their public relations.

I have had same problem with almost all excursions booked thru cruise lines. Just like the old TV show Mission Impossible, the cruiseline "denies all responsibility of your involvement".

My dream is that most cruisers would stop booking excursions thru the cruise lines for a few months. Guaranteed all prices would drop and excursions would be fantastic. Unfortunately, most passengers are so happy to be on a vacation, that they accept almost anything.

I also dream that I will hit the lottery.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the Radiance of the Seas and did the Fury sail snorkel and beach tour - my 5th time and despite the destruction in Cozumel it is awesome!!! The guys are great and there is sun and shade, great snorkeling and a photographer taking under water photos of you, party (free beer and soda and margeritas) and then you sail to a BEAUTIFUL beach and spend one hour there with mats, volleball, open bar, sun and shade, kyacks...I love Cozumel and the shopping part of the day and this tour the rest...Have fun!

lanniepoo - we did the same tour last week, what a ripoff!!! When I booked it on the internet it said 10am, plus LUNCH on the beach. Did not get my tickets, so asked at the Pursers Desk, said I would have them that evening, still no tickets, went back at 11:30pm and they reprinted my tickets, to our surprise it said 1pm. We were on Cozumel by 12:30pm, walked around, came back about 12:50pm and stood around and waited till 1:30pm before the truck finally arrived. We had made dinner reservations for Chops at 7pm, thinking our tour was at 10am, so we would have no trouble getting back to the ship on time. It was the biggest waste of $54 I have ever spent. Certainly was not a scenic tour to the beach, and as you said they gave us drinks as we are riding around in this truck, spilling it all over us. When at the beach I asked the tour guide where our lunch was, he said, "this tour doesn't come with lunch". Boy was everyone surprised. There was a family with 4 kids and they were complaining they were hungry. I told everyone to complain at the Tour Desk, I did and they made me write the complaint, two pages worth, I did get back 20%, still feel I was taken!:mad:

In January, we did the mini jeep tour and had a wonderful time. We took a 4 x 4 jeep to a beach, and then hoped into little 2 person jeeps. We had the time of our lives. It left early in the morning so we had some time to shop and go to Carlos and Charlies.

We were just at Cozumel last Thursday on Navigator. The tendering is a real issue. If you have an excursion booked then you get on the first tenders. if not you wait in line for a tender ticket # and they call them by number. Many did not get off the ship until 1:00. We did the Cozumel Island Tour and Playa Mia Beach. It was fine. The ancient ruins were interesting and we got 1 1/2 hours on the beach. The problem was that we had to wait for people who didn't make the 1st tender for 45 minutes. The 4 hour tour became a 6 hour tour and we never got back to the ship for our planned lunch. Cozumel is a mess! The piers are totally destroyed as are most of the hotels. The main shopping street is up and running but kind of depressing to see all the destruction.

Archived