Xploration Return to Service Delayed

mahdnc

Back in May, Celebrity announced their Galapagos return to service for Flora (Jul 4), Xpedition (Jul 24), and Xploration (Sep 18).  A few days ago Celebrity suspended the first 4 Xploration sailings.  No specific reason was cited other than the general health/safety planning statements made for other recent cruise modifications/cancellations.   

If all the sailings were fully booked, this would affect only 64 passengers.  Affected passengers were not given the 125% FCC option.  They either could receive a 100% refund or be re-accommodated (similar to lift & shift) to another Xploration or Xpedition sailing next year (four week window limitation applies).

Here is the link to Celebrity's notification: Xploration sailing suspensions

Well for your sake, I hope that it still is on, @cincykellers.  The fact that Flora and Xpedition have resumed sailing is a very good sign.  For that reason, it is curious as to why Xploration is being delayed.  Lack of demand?

I imagine that Xploration is less profitable than Xpedition or Flora. 

But compared to the Celebrity ships not back in service, she's more profitable than those!

19 hours ago, cincykellers said:

I am wondering why as well. There are only 8 cabins on board and they are all booked currently. Is the Xploration a lower profit for X? More passengers = more money. 

Celebrity had no intention of keeping Xploration once Flora began sailing. They assumed (incorrectly) they could just combine and transfer the park licenses of Xperience and Xploration to the Xpedition. The government took them to court and that is why Xpedition is only sailing with limited capacity (taking over the Xperience licenses). 

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, cincykellers said:

Received an email this afternoon. We are on! 

The same email that we received today for our Xpedition cruise in Nov 2023?

image.thumb.png.6f77c0a29ea86db6aa5915db1497070c.png

Edited by mahdnc

7 hours ago, cincykellers said:

Well, poop. Yes. Now I am nervous again. If they are going to cancel, fine. But give me time to make other travel arrangements.

Well, I hope you your cruise goes as scheduled.  We will see.

The Xploration cruises have been cancelled through December. 

September 13, 2021
Dear Guest,
We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation in the Galapagos Islands. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety protocols. As we return to service, we are continuously evaluating all itineraries and our ability to maintain these protocols. Currently we have decided to postpone our return to service for Celebrity Xploration. Therefore, all Galapagos Island sailings aboard Celebrity Xploration, departing October 16, 2021 through December 25, 2021 will be suspended.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes as we value your vacation time and want to ensure you have the best experience possible on a Celebrity Cruises vacation. At this time, we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to our award-winning, 48 passenger, Celebrity Xpedition. You may also choose to be re-accommodated on a Celebrity Cruises Galapagos vacation in 2022 or receive a 100% Refund.
From now through September 20, you have the option of keeping your cruise vacation plans to the Galapagos on your originally planned departure date, at no additional cost, aboard Celebrity Xpedition. You may also choose to reschedule at prevailing rates aboard the all-Suite, Celebrity Flora departing on Sundays. If you would like to move your vacation to 2022 and continue to sail on Celebrity Xploration we will shift your current reservation, at the same daily rate, for any 2022 sailing within four weeks of your original departure. Guests interested in sailing aboard Celebrity Xpedition or Celebrity Flora in 2022 may do so at prevailing rates.
Please contact us or your travel partner at your earliest convenience for details and your reservation will be shifted. Guests interested in adding or changing any pre/post cruise package may do so at prevailing rates.
If you are unable to rebook by or if you simply prefer a 100% refund to your original method of payment, you may contact us anytime up until September 20, 2021. With the choice of cancellation, guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity would be refunded automatically. Guests with independent air arrangements would need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required cancellations.
Please contact your Travel Agent or Celebrity Cruises at 1-888-751-9303 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide, to discuss available re-accommodation options as space on our alternate Galapagos ships is limited. Rest assured we will do all possible to accommodate you on the same departure date with minimal disruption to your travel plans.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through these unique circumstances. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.
Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

7 hours ago, twoguysinsocal said:

The Xploration cruises have been cancelled through December. 

September 13, 2021
Dear Guest,
We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation in the Galapagos Islands. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety protocols. As we return to service, we are continuously evaluating all itineraries and our ability to maintain these protocols. Currently we have decided to postpone our return to service for Celebrity Xploration. Therefore, all Galapagos Island sailings aboard Celebrity Xploration, departing October 16, 2021 through December 25, 2021 will be suspended.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes as we value your vacation time and want to ensure you have the best experience possible on a Celebrity Cruises vacation. At this time, we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to our award-winning, 48 passenger, Celebrity Xpedition. You may also choose to be re-accommodated on a Celebrity Cruises Galapagos vacation in 2022 or receive a 100% Refund.
From now through September 20, you have the option of keeping your cruise vacation plans to the Galapagos on your originally planned departure date, at no additional cost, aboard Celebrity Xpedition. You may also choose to reschedule at prevailing rates aboard the all-Suite, Celebrity Flora departing on Sundays. If you would like to move your vacation to 2022 and continue to sail on Celebrity Xploration we will shift your current reservation, at the same daily rate, for any 2022 sailing within four weeks of your original departure. Guests interested in sailing aboard Celebrity Xpedition or Celebrity Flora in 2022 may do so at prevailing rates.
Please contact us or your travel partner at your earliest convenience for details and your reservation will be shifted. Guests interested in adding or changing any pre/post cruise package may do so at prevailing rates.
If you are unable to rebook by or if you simply prefer a 100% refund to your original method of payment, you may contact us anytime up until September 20, 2021. With the choice of cancellation, guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity would be refunded automatically. Guests with independent air arrangements would need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required cancellations.
Please contact your Travel Agent or Celebrity Cruises at 1-888-751-9303 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide, to discuss available re-accommodation options as space on our alternate Galapagos ships is limited. Rest assured we will do all possible to accommodate you on the same departure date with minimal disruption to your travel plans.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through these unique circumstances. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.
Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

I'd take the upgrade to Xpedition in a heartbeat!

I have wondered all along if X actually intends to put Xploration back into service.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:28 AM, cincykellers said:

Well, poop. Yes. Now I am nervous again. If they are going to cancel, fine. But give me time to make other travel arrangements.

Well, it happened.  I am sorry about that.  Hopefully you can take Celebrity up on their nice offer to rebook you on Xpedition.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, mahdnc said:

Well, it happened.  I am sorry about that.  Hopefully you can take Celebrity up on their nice offer to rebook you on Xpedition.

Thank you. We just found out today (Thursday). We booked through Delta SkyMiles Cruises and they sent the usual pre-cruise paperwork email. When I linked to Celebrity's site from there I saw it was cancelled. Not a peep out of X yet. 😞 I was just starting to get re-excited about our trip too. On hold waiting to see what they have to offer. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 2:29 PM, sippican said:

I'd take the upgrade to Xpedition in a heartbeat!

I have wondered all along if X actually intends to put Xploration back into service.

This is interesting. We’re booked on the Xploration for Feb 2022 - had two Xpedition cruises cancelled - 1st was when it run aground and 2nd because of COVID.

I hope if they are pulling Xploration from service we get the offer of the Xpedition at no extra cost - this was our original choice.

On 10/29/2021 at 2:59 PM, IAN TREVES said:

This is interesting. We’re booked on the Xploration for Feb 2022 - had two Xpedition cruises cancelled - 1st was when it run aground and 2nd because of COVID.

I hope if they are pulling Xploration from service we get the offer of the Xpedition at no extra cost - this was our original choice.

We just returned from our 2nd Xpedition sailing. I saw Xploration achored offshore and asked about future plans, I was told they “hoped” to have her back in service within a year. Sorry that’s not a very helpful answer. Since Xpedition is in service, and that was your original booking, I don’t understand why they didn’t rebook the same cruise for you. 

1 hour ago, sippican said:

We just returned from our 2nd Xpedition sailing. I saw Xploration achored offshore and asked about future plans, I was told they “hoped” to have her back in service within a year. Sorry that’s not a very helpful answer. Since Xpedition is in service, and that was your original booking, I don’t understand why they didn’t rebook the same cruise for you. 

Any reason cited for keeping Xploration inactive?  It cannot be lack of demand.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, sippican said:

If we wanted to book the Xpedition again we would have to have added some more money whereas the cruise credit covered the Xploration fully.

• Like 1