Nieuw Amsterdam “newbie” questions

markwfpb

Hello,

I posted this in the “HAL for Dummies” thread on Monday and it’s been radio silence. Seeing as it’s now the wee hours of Sunday, thought I’d try to get some traction as a new topic so here goes - 

We're new to HAL, having sailed Princess, NCL and MSC (twice per line). I have a fairly good understanding of the differences between HAL and the others, but have a few specific questions. I've done searches and found bits and pieces of answers but thought it clearest to just directly ask. Looking at Nieuw Amsterdam and possibly a Neptune Suite, if that makes a difference. I've been following the various NA Alaska threads (glad she's sailing!) but these are definite newbie questions so more appropriate to this topic.

1. Are the sofabeds the old-school type with the bar that hits across your back and your head is up in the "sofa" part? OR are they the type where the seat of the sofa lifts out to form half of the bed and the back of the sofa slides down to be the other half of the bed (so you're sleeping longways)? 

2. When requesting the special menus I've seen posted (both Vegetarian/Vegan/Gluten-Free and Indian), do you have to order the evening before or can you just order them when you sit down for the lunch or dinner?

3. Here's a super specific one - has anyone taken watercolor or acrylic paints and small canvases on board? I haven't seen that there would be a issue with it based on the HAL site's banned materials, but thought I'd ask. 

4. Lastly, in general, are the pools as much of a zoo when finding a lounge chair as the other lines?! Yes, I know my mileage will vary but want to mentally prepare if that will likely be the case!

Thanks for your  insights.

• Like 1

I can help you with #4.   Lounge hogs live on all ships.  That being said, N.A. has cabanas down one side of the covered pool deck for extra $.  At the head of the pool deck are tables for the burger place as well some more tables along the other side so loungers are at a premium imho.  And if it is an Alaska cruise it's the only game in town .  For warmer cruises the aft pool is the best place to find loungers and a quieter atmosphere.  Also there are more cabanas just above the pool deck but for more $$. Hope that helps..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, markwfpb said:

Hello,

I posted this in the “HAL for Dummies” thread on Monday and it’s been radio silence. Seeing as it’s now the wee hours of Sunday, thought I’d try to get some traction as a new topic so here goes - 

1. Are the sofabeds the old-school type with the bar that hits across your back and your head is up in the "sofa" part? OR are they the type where the seat of the sofa lifts out to form half of the bed and the back of the sofa slides down to be the other half of the bed (so you're sleeping longways)? 

It’s been a while since I have been on the N Amsterdam but IIRC the sofa bed I saw that was open was so that you slept longways - that was in a Neptune Suite.  If you take a look at pics at halfacts.com you might find some with the sofa bed open to confirm.

2. When requesting the special menus I've seen posted (both Vegetarian/Vegan/Gluten-Free and Indian), do you have to order the evening before or can you just order them when you sit down for the lunch or dinner?

There is usually a vegan entree on the menu every night.  For Gluten free and full vegan I believe you order the night before.  The waiter brings the menu and you circle the items you would like.  I am unaware of an Indian menu although there can be choices in the Lido.

3. Here's a super specific one - has anyone taken watercolor or acrylic paints and small canvases on board? I haven't seen that there would be a issue with it based on the HAL site's banned materials, but thought I'd ask. 

I haven’t taken them personally but I know roll call members who did and I don’t recall them having any issue.  This was B.C. (Before Covid).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markwfpb said:

When we stayed in a Neptune that could accommodate 4 people it had the "old-school" type. In our most recent corner aft neptune that would only allow 3 people it was the other style.  I have no idea if the room capacity is the reason or if it is just a mix of the two options. Also, you can request foam toppers for them which makes them a little more bearable.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for this excellent information. 

I think we'll stick with the bed "pushed together" and if the sofabed is just too uncomfortable (even with the foam), separate the bed into two. And we'll plan to order meals ahead of time if that's the routine. 

I don't think we'll pay up for a cabana but good to know it's an option. We went ahead and booked a Neptune Suite. From the videos I've seen, it looks like the deck for our cabin type (SA) has a table and chairs plus two chairs with ottomans. If that's the case, I can ask if they could be swapped out for loungers. Or maybe that's just not done - I asked for that one time in the Haven on the Jewel and it was a solid no!

I'll buy a fresh set of (small) acrylic paint tubes and pack them unopened in my checked luggage. Worst case, they won't let me take them onboard. The watercolor class sounds very fun. Does HAL have daily listings of these types of classes and other activities they leave on the bed every night like other lines? I've searched for pics of them but didn't find anything. Just wondering if they have yoga, cooking demos, that type of thing. Also, are there movies shown on a big screen or on TVs in the cabins?

THANKS all.

There is a fairly long list of movies on the TV and a couple of nights there was a movie in the mainstage theater. HAL does have a "When and Where" that is left on the bed at turndown. You can also access all the information in the Navigator App. On our Alaska cruise there were two Port to Table food presentations that we went to. 

Karen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markwfpb said:

Thanks to all of you for this excellent information. 

I think we'll stick with the bed "pushed together" and if the sofabed is just too uncomfortable (even with the foam), separate the bed into two. And we'll plan to order meals ahead of time if that's the routine. 

I don't think we'll pay up for a cabana but good to know it's an option. We went ahead and booked a Neptune Suite. From the videos I've seen, it looks like the deck for our cabin type (SA) has a table and chairs plus two chairs with ottomans. If that's the case, I can ask if they could be swapped out for loungers. Or maybe that's just not done - I asked for that one time in the Haven on the Jewel and it was a solid no!

I'll buy a fresh set of (small) acrylic paint tubes and pack them unopened in my checked luggage. Worst case, they won't let me take them onboard. The watercolor class sounds very fun. Does HAL have daily listings of these types of classes and other activities they leave on the bed every night like other lines? I've searched for pics of them but didn't find anything. Just wondering if they have yoga, cooking demos, that type of thing. Also, are there movies shown on a big screen or on TVs in the cabins?

THANKS all.

The chairs with the ottomans can recline just like a lounger so you can stretch out or lay flat if you would like. 

Bob

• Like 1