Train or Plane from Venice to London

I will be disembarking in Venice and spending 1 night before returning to London for a few nights before my flight home to San Francisco.

Should I take the overnight sleeping car or fly?

Whenever I have investigated train vrs flight, the train has always been more expensive. Venice to London will probably require a train change in Paris. We love train travel in Europe, but you need extra time for it and more $$$$..........:)

Here is a website for raileurope:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm?souce=Google_europe_trains&ref=

OK, if we're listing airlines, this is the collection:-

From Venice Marco Polo:-

bmi to London Heathrow (Lufthansa also sells this flight under its own code) (about once daily)

British Airways to London Gatwick (about 3 times daily)

easyJet to London Gatwick (about twice daily)

From "Venice" Treviso:-

Ryanair to London Stansted (about 3 times daily)

(I'm always puzzled why people insist on saying "British Air". Anyone know?)

We once took an overnight train from Rome to Paris and it was a pretty long, tiring and mostly sleepless trip. The train rocked a lot (not like a ship), there were many stops, clanging bells and whistles, lights from outside flashing by, and there wasn't much to see in the dark anyway. Of course, I wouldn't have missed it for the world but now I would definitely opt for an airplane.

I will be disembarking in Venice and spending 1 night before returning to London for a few nights before my flight home to San Francisco. Should I take the overnight sleeping car or fly?

We ended in Venice on our Med cruise this past Oct. I would suggest more time in Venice if you can afford the time. We spend three days and then fly on to London for another three days.

Flying was so much easier. Ours was about $125 ea and flight time was a little over an hour. Venice airport is easy to get into and the flight was short. Only disadvantage for us was getting from Heathrow to central London. We arrived late afternoon during rush hour and the taxi ride into Victoria Square area was 60 pounds instead of the normal 40-45.

Archived