FLL Hotels are Ripping us Off!!! Anyone stayed at LaQuinta?

JWMom

I cannot believe how expensive these hotels in FLL are!! Just looking for one night pre and post cruise. I just will not spend hundreds of dollars for a hotel room-it's crazy!! I finally got a rate of $119 at the LaQuinta Airport which still makes me cringe but that's about the best I can find right now-anyone stayed there recently? Pretty good ratings on TripAdvisor. I've never used Priceline or Hotwire-any advice there? Thanks for your help!!

We have stayed at this LaQuinta pre-cruise several times and have already booked for Oct and Dec of this year. The rooms are spacious and very clean, the staff friendly and accomodating; they offer a nice deluxe cont'l breakfast with make-your-own waffles and a comp'y newspaper. It's also conveniently located to several restaurants. We've always been very satisfied with this hotel. Did you get that rate directly from the hotel or from the national toll-free reserv line?

We have stayed at this LaQuinta pre-cruise several times and have already booked for Oct and Dec of this year. The rooms are spacious and very clean, the staff friendly and accomodating; they offer a nice deluxe cont'l breakfast with make-your-own waffles and a comp'y newspaper. It's also conveniently located to several restaurants. We've always been very satisfied with this hotel. Did you get that rate directly from the hotel or from the national toll-free reserv line?

Thanks for the responses-we're staying there March the 18th and 25th-I got the rate on their internet website (military rate)-is that a good rate?! Thanks!

Our tourist season in Lauderdale is October until April, and all hotels charge more (and some a lot more) during this period. The week dates you are looking at are very popular. Sounds like you got a very decent rate for this time of year, and the La Quinta is very adequate.

Hey, we live in a market driven society. Have you been to New York, Boston, San Francisco or Chicago?

And you better never think about visiting London, Tokyo and Oslo to name a few.

We've been lucky, or spoiled for some time now.

Sea-hawk

Thanks for the responses-we're staying there March the 18th and 25th-I got the rate on their internet website (military rate)-is that a good rate?! Thanks!

Your rate doesn't sound too bad, especially for late booking. Now, just to make you cringe, I booked my pre and post cruise on Priceline several months ago for $60 per night plus tax.:o

Hey, we live in a market driven society. Have you been to New York, Boston, San Francisco or Chicago?

And you better never think about visiting London, Tokyo and Oslo to name a few.

We've been lucky, or spoiled for some time now.

Sea-hawk

How true! It is called supply and demand!

I thought about switching to La Quinta. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 84 one night precruise (we're aware that it's not a great tourist location) The rates at HIE are sky high. The 2006 AAA book states a maximum of $159.00 from 12/16-4/15 . We booked over a month ago. Its costing us $179.10. and this room is now $224.00. :eek: Perhaps the King Tut exhibit is driving demand up.

I just want some help trying to find a reasonable place to stay for pre and post cruise. I have looked at the Hampton Inn Airport or the Best Western Marina. I would like to have a clean and secure place to stay, but I don't have to have fancy. We would like to have airport and cruise port shuttles, but that may not be possible. We don't arrive into the airport until 12:23 and most shuttles stops by then. The Hampton Inn Airport says they have a 24 hour shuttle, and the Best Western Marina must be called by 12:45 for pick up. Does anyone have suggestions, we don't have much time the cruise is 3/19 and everything is getting booked up fast.

Terri

Doesn't sound like a rip off to me. FLL is a tourist city & you are visiting at a peak time...hotel rates will obviously be higher than at other less desirable cities.

I guess I'm just amazed at hotel prices in general-in FLL and lots of other places (like many posters said New York, San Francisco etc...). It is supply and demand, no question...I guess it makes the cruise prices look pretty reasonable when you compare what you're getting!! Some of these hotels want $400 a night (without even a free breakfast!!)-I'm paying $600 for one person for a whole week of cruising!!!

I've been looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel in Las Vegas for April. The rates for Vegas hotels have gone through the roof since I was there a year ago. New York City has always been high and now the median rate is $300 a night. So yes, FLL and MIA hotel rates are nuts but they're right up there with all of the other major tourist cities in the country. :confused:

JWMom, Our pre-cruise stay at the Hollywood LQ in Oct is $115. It's a CC group cruise and I was able to get that rate for our group, even tho it's the weekend of the International Boat Show in FLL when the rate will be substantially higher. The rate for our pre-cruise stay for Dec. 21st is $99.90 (AARP/AAA/Senior) through LQ's website res. As others have pointed out, your date happens to fall during spring break (supply & demand), so your rate really is pretty good. It's conveniently located to the airport and pier; you'll be well pleased with this hotel.

JWMom, Our pre-cruise stay at the Hollywood LQ in Oct is $115. It's a CC group cruise and I was able to get that rate for our group, even tho it's the weekend of the International Boat Show in FLL when the rate will be substantially higher. The rate for our pre-cruise stay for Dec. 21st is $99.90 (AARP/AAA/Senior) through LQ's website res. As others have pointed out, your date happens to fall during spring break (supply & demand), so your rate really is pretty good. It's conveniently located to the airport and pier; you'll be well pleased with this hotel.

What ship is the cc group cruise?

Just got off the phone with snowbird cousin in Palm Beach county, who commented on how expensive the hotels have become in Palm Beach County this winter. We came to this conclusion, "Hurricane" and trying to make-up for lack of business.:mad:

JWMom- what cruise are you on? We are staying at LQ Airport on the 17th and 25th for our cruise. The cheapest I was able to get was $140 total (taxes included already). Everywhere else I looked it was $148 before texes.

BEWARE...I made reservations a few weeks ago at the Holiday Inn Express near the FLL airport...before I knew any better...for a May 2006 cruise out of Miami and they charged me $186.00 for two people for a basic room...I tried to cancel when I found out I had been screwed and they said I could not and if I did I would be charge the full amount..period..they said it was because they were giving me a special rate..thats why I could not cancel!!..You ever heard anything soo crazy???

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Archived