ANTHEM UK - we were refused boarding as no PCR test provided.

1 hour ago, pdawson30 said:

I still cant get anywhere with RC.

Why cant they tell me the exact tests I need to take and when I need to take them traveling from the US as a fully vaccinated person?

I don't know what to do? I tried RC twitter and came up blank. They just posted from the website which is full of errors/ confusion as I already posted. I asked follow up questions but Im waiting to see if they can help.

Does anyone have the emails for Michael Bayley and Richard Fain.

I'm 100% sure I'm going to need them.

pdawson.

The U.K. government requirement for entry into the U.K. is a negative test (this can be a lateral flow with certification) within 3 days prior of arrival https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england  They also require a test within 2 days of arrival (I’d book one at the airport when I land). These tests have to be done for anyone, even for U.K. residents returning from holiday so they are a given even if fully vaccinated.  

On the mixed messages thread someone posted a screenshot of an app they use.  Look at that. 

For boarding purposes your U.K. guests can get a private test (boots for example) and they will get onboard credit for that.

Whether you need extra tests at the port before boarding (antigen for example) I don’t know sorry.  Good luck 👍🏻

Edited by *Fudge*
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, *Fudge* said:

I have been told by RC reps that what is posted there is incorrect.

It also makes no sense? Why do UK guests need a PCR test yet the only requirement for overseas passengers is an antigen test...... YET the RC reps claim we need a PCR test..... yet it doesnt say that anywhere there......Again I'm being told 10 different things.

I’m fairly sure the test that you take within 2 days of arrival is a PCR test? Therefore you would have had a PCR test within 3 days of sailing as long as you sail within 3 days of arrival that is.  Or am I mistaken 🤷‍♀️  🤔

Edited by *Fudge*

2 hours ago, pdawson30 said:

I have been told by RC reps that what is posted there is incorrect.

It also makes no sense? Why do UK guests need a PCR test yet the only requirement for overseas passengers is an antigen test...... YET the RC reps claim we need a PCR test..... yet it doesnt say that anywhere there......Again I'm being told 10 different things.

Royal doesn’t require a PCR test for international guests because the assumption is they’ll already have had one shortly after arriving in the UK, as mandated by the government.

To be absolutely clear, an international guest joining Anthem at Southampton needs three tests:

1) an antigen test up to three days before they fly to the UK (a government requirement);

2) a PCR test up to two days after they arrive in the UK, which must be booked before departure or the airline will deny boarding (also a government requirement); and

3) the free antigen test at the port (a Royal requirement).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Royal doesn’t require a PCR test for international guests because the assumption is they’ll already have had one shortly after arriving in the UK, as mandated by the government.

To be absolutely clear, an international guest joining Anthem at Southampton needs three tests:

1) an antigen test up to three days before they fly to the UK (a government requirement);

2) a PCR test up to two days after they arrive in the UK, which must be booked before departure or the airline will deny boarding (also a government requirement); and

Exactly.

And reps on the phone on the USA are confused because this is an anomaly.....most of the ships are sailing from US ports with different rules and there are very few American passengers on this one ship.

Some updates:

Totally given up on the RC reps who have no clue and will tell you 10 different things.

To recap for the 9/19 sailing we have 2 British guests and 2 US guests.

We could not get anyone to send the emails for the British guests so we I ended up arranging PCR tests

this Thursday.

For US guests the healthy sail center is a joke. It really doesn't help. It leaves you guessing what tests you do or do not need.

Example when you travel from the US to the UK it says you can use either a PCR test or Antigen test.

This is the airline and British Gov regulation yet... see the difference between these two on the same page.

image.thumb.png.2a1e5c45189a5926ceccfb6050df09a1.png

Yet further down the same page

image.png.ff9e837ff9bbab54dabb23721d3a2ccf.png

You will notice it now says a "PCR test", we will also be taking a PCR test when we land in the UK at the airport as part of the Day 2 procedure. Again it makes no sense, which is correct?

Covid-19 test normally means any of the test?

On 9/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, gumshoe958 said:

According to the Healthy Sail center they may not be true.

covid1.jpg

And because nobody has a clue we are probably going to end up taking 4 tests just to cover all the bases.

Not RC finest hour.

The crazy thing is when you get on board a RC ship the service is incredible.

Everyone is beyond wonderful and with over 20 cruises I have almost no complaints about anything.

Yet the shore based CS needs a lot of work.

They need cheat sheets on what tests are needed from each country. They have no clue what we need to do or even how to send us the promised testing emails (they never turned up for the British guests)

Its pretty bad when the passengers seem to know more about what is needed than the company.

They clearly need better editing for the healthy sail center and its disconnect from the FAQ's which contradict the same information.

As mentioned we even had CSR's (and their supervisors) tell us what is written on the Healthy Sail center is incorrect.

So as a customer what do I believe?

27 minutes ago, pdawson30 said:

According to the Healthy Sail center they may not be true.

covid1.jpg

That is incorrect. The pre-departure test doesn’t have to be a PCR. It can be, but it can also be an approved antigen test.

The advice xxHadleyxx and I have given you upthread is correct. 

I’ll repeat it one last time: if you’re coming from the US to join Anthem in Southampton, you currently need to take:

(1) an antigen (or PCR if you wish) test in the US, no more than three days before your flight to the UK;

(2) a PCR test in the UK, no more than two days after you arrive, which must be booked before you leave the US; and 

(3) the free antigen test Royal will provide at check-in at Southampton.

(1) and (2) are government requirements and you won’t be allowed to fly to the UK without proof you’ve bought them. They are nothing to do with Royal and, as international guests, you shouldn’t need to show the results to board the ship so it shouldn’t matter if you haven’t yet got the result of (2) when you check in. Royal only cares about the result of (3).

For the UK residents in your party, they WILL need to take a PCR test no more than three days before the cruise, which can either be the complimentary one arranged by Royal or one they’ve bought themselves (in which case they will be reimbursed $140 in OBC). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

That is incorrect. The pre-departure test doesn’t have to be a PCR. It can be, but it can also be an approved antigen test.

The advice xxHadleyxx and I have given you upthread is correct. 

I’ll repeat it one last time: if you’re coming from the US to join Anthem in Southampton, you currently need to take:

(1) an antigen (or PCR if you wish) test in the US, no more than three days before your flight to the UK;

(2) a PCR test in the UK, no more than two days after you arrive, which must be booked before you leave the US; and 

(3) the free antigen test Royal will provide at check-in at Southampton.

(1) and (2) are government requirements and you won’t be allowed to fly to the UK without proof you’ve bought them. They are nothing to do with Royal and, as international guests, you shouldn’t need to show the results to board the ship so it shouldn’t matter if you haven’t yet got the result of (2) when you check in. Royal only cares about the result of (3).

For the UK residents in your party, they WILL need to take a PCR test no more than three days before the cruise, which can either be the complimentary one arranged by Royal or one they’ve bought themselves (in which case they will be reimbursed $140 in OBC). 

Hi, Im not saying you are wrong BUT......I have to take your advice over what is written on the RC website......As a customer should I believe something written on a forum or what's written on the Official website of the company.

This is what makes this whole thing maddening....

2 minutes ago, pdawson30 said:

Hi, Im not saying you are wrong BUT......I have to take your advice over what is written on the RC website......As a customer should I believe something written on a forum or what's written on the Official website of the company.

Yes, I can totally see your point.

Trust me, most Brits are utterly confused about the UK travel testing rules which constantly change (and are rumoured to be changing again next month), so I’m not surprised Royal are giving conflicting advice - not that it’s right or at all helpful for you.

I’m sure it will all work out fine. It sounds like you’ve covered all the bases and if it’s any reassurance the operation on the ground at Southampton seems very slick so you should be good to go. Have a great cruise next week.

And at least as US residents you can come to the UK. If you could just have a quiet word with your President about letting us come over there, that would be great! 😊 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pdawson30 said:

Gumshoe958 and I do have a clue.. but hey, sure, insult those with experience trying to help you.  🙄

I get not trusting strangers online as your only source of information...but we've also repeatedly pointed you to the official UK government website, which is obviously the definitive source of credible information....not the cruise line.  There's obviously lots of good information online about the UK requirements...you can avail yourself of that and take the required tests...or get annoyed that RCI got it wrong in one area and decide that means noone, not even the government requiring these tests, knows and test yourself extra.  I think that's a silly way to go, but you can do as you please.

23 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Gumshoe958 and I do have a clue.. but hey, sure, insult those with experience trying to help you.  🙄

I get not trusting strangers online as your only source of information...but we've also repeatedly pointed you to the official UK government website, which is obviously the definitive source of credible information....not the cruise line.  There's obviously lots of good information online about the UK requirements...you can avail yourself of that and take the required tests...or get annoyed that RCI got it wrong in one area and decide that means noone, not even the government requiring these tests, knows and test yourself extra.  I think that's a silly way to go, but you can do as you please.

Hadley, I apologize if I upset you, that wasn't the intention. I'm just frustrated at RC. And TBF its not just one area of the website that has conflicting information. If you read the official FAQ's they also have problems there too. Surely you must see it from my point of view. I have read all the official websites and as I pointed out there is conflicting information. Do I think you and Gumshoe958 are correct, yes probably but if I get this wrong we wont be able to sail as per the person in the first post in this thread. My complaint/annoyance is with RC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pdawson30 said:

Hadley, I apologize if I upset you, that wasn't the intention. I'm just frustrated at RC. And TBF its not just one area of the website that has conflicting information. If you read the official FAQ's they also have problems there too. Surely you must see it from my point of view. I have read all the official websites and as I pointed out there is conflicting information. Do I think you and Gumshoe958 are correct, yes probably but if I get this wrong we wont be able to sail as per the person in the first post in this thread. My complaint/annoyance is with RC.

Hello.  I am sorry that I cant help but you are right there was (or still is) conflicting information on the website.  I would hate for what happened to us happen to you or anyone else - it was awful AND humiliating.  What I would would say is take screen shots of everything so if there is a problem at the port you at least have evidence to back you up.  Perhaps if I had taken a screenshot which stated my daughter did not need a test they might have acted differently.  Good luck with everything.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pdawson30 said:

Thanks.  It seemed like you were annoyed with everyone, even those trying to help here...glad that is not the case.

I get being frustrated. 

I was anxious as all get out to not have the "correct" information on what RCI required of non UK residents on the UK sailings until literally 4 days prior to sailing, after 11 hours speaking to reps, three resolutions people, two calls to Eurofins and about a dozen emails.  

However, I wasn't annoyed or upset that the US reps were not more up to date on what the regulations were for my particular plight...I knew we are a TINY fraction of the guests they deal with.  At 90 of us last week, that is considerbaly less than 1 perent of current passengers, even with reduced capacities ...and then not even all of those 90 would have been through the US office (we had a group of about a 12 Chinese guests on our sailing, some via the German office, etc).  

I 100% get your frustration with RCI not sending the emails with registration links for the 2 UK based passengers.  That is on them to do get you what they require you have in order to sail on their line.  Absolutely!  No question.

On the other hand, I admit I do not really understand being frustrated that the cruise line is not telling you clearly enough what the governement of the coutnry you sail out of requires you to do to get to port.  I mean, it is nice that they try to get you some of that info as a courtesy, but it has ALWAYS been up to the passngeer to confirm with local governing authorities rules are to travel to the port itself.  Those rules are not set by cruise lines, whethere it is about covid testing for the UK, or pre covid what visas I needed to visit China and sail from Shanghai in 2019.  That said, yes, the UK has super convoluted rules which are confusing and frustrating in general...which is yet another reason I don't want to rely on anyone else getting it right and went straight to the government website to figure that out. https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

If you are landing at LHR; here is the place on Heathrow's website where I booked our day 2 tests for when we landed.  We felt this was the easiest option, priced similarly to everything else and we got the emails with the numbers we needed for the passenger locator forms right away.  Maybe it'll help?

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airport/fly-safe/covid-19-test

8 hours ago, miaandmum said:

Hello.  I am sorry that I cant help but you are right there was (or still is) conflicting information on the website.  I would hate for what happened to us happen to you or anyone else - it was awful AND humiliating.  What I would would say is take screen shots of everything so if there is a problem at the port you at least have evidence to back you up.  Perhaps if I had taken a screenshot which stated my daughter did not need a test they might have acted differently.  Good luck with everything.

Yeah, your situation defintely added to my anxiety as we were getting conflicting info about RCI's own requirenments before our sailing.  It really sounds like Eurofins, acting on behalf of RCI, steered you incorrectly and that should not have impacted your vacation.  Under the circumstance it really seems like they ought to have given your daughter an at the terminal antigen test and allowed you to sail.  I did notce 2-3 days after you started this thread the Healthy Sail Center wording was updated to make it more clear that kids need both the PCR test and test at the port...so clearly they realized the issue was at least partly on them.  I am glad you did get a refund but feel terribly for you that you did not get your holiday.

To be honest, seeing that you were denied boarding when the info from RCI about it's own procedures was conflicting and you followed what Eurofins told you when registering for teh test from the email link is WHY I spent hours and hours on phone calls and with email to make darn sure it was clear I was doing MY part and the issues and conflicts for their own requirenments were on their end...so thank you for posting.  

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1

RCI don't really know what they are doing as I experienced myself. I'm a French national but have lived in the UK for 25 years. Didn't expect any issues but as soon as they saw my French passport, they asked for a resident card. 

I explained we don't have resident card in the UK but my English address was stated in my French passport which was renewed 2 months ago. Not good enough. 

In the end, the piece of 'evidence' they accepted was my credit card size NHS record of vaccination. This made me laugh as not only dors RCI not accept it as evidence of double vaccination, hence having to show confirmation on the NHS app, which I'd already done, but this no proof of residency anyway as the NHS did start vaccinating anyone they could get their hands on, whatever the nationality and residency! 

I didn't argue with them though! So I don't blame you for wanting to triple check, especially coming as far as the US but the advice here from people who've been through it is definitely the most reliable.

Beats me why anyone is using the Royal/Eurofins PCR test for UK residents.

I arranged my own test at a far more convenient location with a result guaranteed in 24 hours that cost £75, so Royal effectively paid me £25 to get tested! Some providers offer them even cheaper than that.

Miaandmum, I really don't think the information was wrong in your case. It was stated clearly that under 18 would need a PCR test. The error was with Eurofins who told you she didn't. I think that's different to RCI messing up. 

I'm very glad that they refunded though as it was totally unreasonable not to when they do in all other circumstances.

14 hours ago, pdawson30 said:

I can understand your frustration but I think you really need to follow the British government advice about entering the country and listen to those who have already done it about requirements for the ship. Our government are changing the rules for travel on a regular basis, it's confusing for everyone so you can hardly blame Royal for not wanting to give you any info which could be wrong next week. Yes, they should be able to give you info about the ship but the US office probably has only a handful of passengers on Anthem where the rules are different from other ships so you can surely see the problem.

Trust me, the problem is usually the other way around, us Brits normally have to get our info from US cruisers which is why this forum has been invaluable to me over the years.

Just cover all your options, take a deep breath and remember it will all be worth it once you step onto the ship.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ententecordiale said:

Miaandmum, I really don't think the information was wrong in your case. It was stated clearly that under 18 would need a PCR test. The error was with Eurofins who told you she didn't. I think that's different to RCI messing up. 

I'm very glad that they refunded though as it was totally unreasonable not to when they do in all other circumstances.

Never said that Royal messed up as such as RC gave the contract to Eurofins to provide their tests and it was Eurofins who failed to provide the test.  But, the way we were treated at the port, having the phone put down on me by RC staff when we were stranded, in need of help and in shock was a RC issue.   To be fair, following my email RC agreed that the email received was not clear and could have been open to interpretation.  We love cruising and RCI is our favourite cruise line.  They have restored my faith in them but to be quite honest I will always be a little wary now whenever I book a cruise with any cruise line in future as I know how it feels now to be left high and dry and I wouldn’t ever want to be left in a situation like that again.

I really don't think it was open to interpretation if you read it carefully. I did and it was very clear, however I totally agree with you that they should have shown sympathy and understanding and certainly agree to a refund there and then. That was indeed poor customer service.

I really think it esse trial, especially in these time of confusion to take extra time to read every word of every email received and take time to note everything relevant. There are many emails, it feels overwhelming but ultimately, it is crucial to ensure not to miss anything.

Oh and come here to post for advice. I was worried they wouldn't accept my Dad's driving licence and indeed, the first person we accounted said it wouldn't be accepted until someone chipped in to say that this cruise was different as only UK based. I had however made sure to take note of the person we'd spoken to on the phone and told us it was fine and printed their small print on the email that said it was ok too.

A harsh lesson to learn but hopefully you've already rebooked the cruise and can look forward to it trouble free.