Mini Outlander & Snorkel Excursion With Pictures

AUTUMN SUN

From Wendsday, Jan. 4, 2006.OK, so this is better late than never. This being my first cruise and trip to Cozumel, I was so excited. Originally I planned to spend the first half of the day at Chankanaab park and the second half of the day at Nachi Cocom beach. Well after the hurricane, my plans had to change. My husband and I decided we would spend the day at Paradise Beach and let the kids enjoy Camp Carnival. We were looking forward to some quiet time!:D Well, I had a alot of family traveling with me and my sister decided to surprise all of us( all 11 of us!) with an excursion. Her and her hubby bought all of the groups tickets so we could all go on the same excursion together. :eek: Wasn't that sweet!! Actually it would have been 17 of us but we lost 6 of them at our first stop of Grand Cayman. They had to disembark after by brother fell (or jumped)from deck 4 to deck 3, fracturing some ribs. How he missed the ocean is all a mystery to us. Well thats another story, when I finally get around to my trip report. Onward.... I am not sure of the exact name of the excursion it but maybe you can figure it out once I describe it. I do remember her saying it was $99.00. We arrived in Cozumel around 9:00 am.We were first off the ship as this was a Carnival excursion.

HERE IS A PICTURE THE TENDERS USED IN COZUMEL

6103.jpg

THIS IS THE INSIDE. IT WAS VERY COMFORTABLE

102_2501.jpg

We were tendered to Puerta Maya. This is one of the first things we saw when arriving.

102_2423.jpg

When we walked through the area it was clean and nice.

102_2494.jpg

There were people standing around holding up signs so you new where to meet for your excursion. This is a pic of our guides and for the life of me I cant remember their names. But they were a hoot!!

102_2463.jpg

First we all walked to a long line of parked jeeps. They had an open top. My hubby and I do not know how to drive a stick!:p Pretty sad I know. Somehow the family had already grouped themselves into different jeeps leaving my hubby and I to fend for ourselves.( Can you tell were not in the inner circle!!:D ) We ended up riding in the back with two nice ladies we did not know up front and doing the drivin!!102_2489.jpg I was amazed and saddened at all the devastation we saw as we drove along. We passed Paradise Beach and I looked longingly at the the entrance!

We ended up in Punta Sur and we left our jeeps and boarded mini outlanders. They were automatic so hubby and I were able to ride just him and I. Now these things were cool!!

102_2442.jpg

Our first stop were these mini Mayan Ruins

102_2444.jpg

We also saw this crocodile( or alligator?) while we were stopped there.

102_2449.jpg

Then we had a blast riding through the sand to get to beach area. I think it is (or was) the only accessible way to get there. This is upon arrival.

102_2452.jpg

The beach was beautiful and secluded. Just our excursion group was there. Here is a picture. They did have chairs on the beach with an umbrella type thing over them for shade if you needed it.

102_2454.jpg

This stop was for snorkeling. The snorkeling gear was supplied. Here is a group shot before entry!

102_2458.jpg

My hubby took the picture and did not partake in this adventure!:rolleyes: Actually I did not last long as I'm new to snorkeling and not good at it. Hey, but you see all those little kids, they did not have a problem! They served us sodas and bags of chips. We were all under the impression it was going to more. Oh well. After we left here, we went to the lighthouse. We all went to the top. WOW, those were alot of stairs!!! 102_2462.jpg

The view from the top of the light house was great!

102_2472.jpg

Inside the lighthouse looking out the window.

102_2475.jpg

I should mention there was a little museum type shop here as well and restrooms!. It was at this point we received our final speech from our guides and we tipped them. We then went back to the jeeps and went back into Puerta Maya. Hubby and I in the back with those nice ladies driving!!:D We had time to shop and look around. I really liked that shop Los Cincos Soles.

102_2490.jpg

Fat Tuesdays was looking good.

102_2493.jpg

All in all we really enjoyed this excursion, even if it wasn't Paradise Beach. Which by the way we plan to hit on are next go around! I would recommend it without reservation. Any questions just ask!

Great pictures. Looks like a beautiful day. We are heading to Cozumel in 3 weeks and can hardly wait. Our children are more interested in the water toys at Paradise Beach, but we are hoping to try their snorkel trip while we are there. A couple of questions for you:

Were those the San Gervasio ruins? Did the children in your group find the water to be cold?

Great pictures. Looks like a beautiful day. We are heading to Cozumel in 3 weeks and can hardly wait. Our children are more interested in the water toys at Paradise Beach, but we are hoping to try their snorkel trip while we are there. A couple of questions for you:

Were those the San Gervasio ruins? Did the children in your group find the water to be cold?

I do believe that was the name of the ruins. The water temp was fine and kids went right in. This was over a month ago, so it could be a little cooler now. I dont think it ever gets to cold to swim.:)

great review - i was interested in this excursion - do the outlander only hold 2 people? - we have 4 of us 50, 40, 19 and 16 - can the 19 year old drive one vehicle?

also how much time is spent in the vehicle driving around verses time at the ruins and the beach - how much time wasted waiting to go?

great review - i was interested in this excursion - do the outlander only hold 2 people? - we have 4 of us 50, 40, 19 and 16 - can the 19 year old drive one vehicle?

also how much time is spent in the vehicle driving around verses time at the ruins and the beach - how much time wasted waiting to go?

As far as the outlander, it had two seats up front and a little storage area in the back. The 19 y/o should be able to drive one with no problems. Here is a run down time wise of the tour.

We arrived around 8:30 am(early) in Cozumel and were on the first tender. We were on shore and at the meeting place by 8:50. By 9:00 we all gathered and were divided into jeeps and left that area around 9:20 headed to Punta Sur. It took about 20 min to get there putting the time at 9:40. We then exchanged the jeeps for the outlanders. It took about 20 min to settle into the outlanders and get to the ruins putting the time at 10:00. We were at the ruins and visiting the crocodile for about 30 minutes. Then on to the beach for snorkeling. It only took about 5 min. to get to the beach. We were on the beach around 10:40 and in the water by 11:00.(our choice) We were there about 2 hrs. We left around 12:45 and arrived at the lighthouse around 12:50. We were there for about 45 min.(1:35) and then headed back to transfer back into the jeeps. It only took a few minutes to get there. We left Punta Sur and headed back into town around 1:50. We were back in town a round 2:15. We then shopped for an hour or so and headed back to the ship cause we had the early seating for dinner. I do not think we spent to much time traveling in the vehicles and when we were driving it was enjoyable. I hope this helps.:)

Archived