Para Sailing at HMC

sirdavid

I have never Para Sailed before, but am going to try when we dock at HMC on our Volendam Southern Caribbean cruise. Silly question....I would like to take my video camera up with me and shot the experience in the new widwscreen format! Is this a stupid idea? Or is it a pretty safe gamble? From what I can read, most people land safely on the tow boat deck.

I have never Para Sailed before, but am going to try when we dock at HMC on our Volendam Southern Caribbean cruise. Silly question....I would like to take my video camera up with me and shot the experience in the new widwscreen format! Is this a stupid idea? Or is it a pretty safe gamble? From what I can read, most people land safely on the tow boat deck.

My DH took his and it turned out great! There was wind noise from the mic (to be expected) but the video was really neat. He knows that's the only way I'm going to see what it looks like from up there....:o

Hi! I was just wondering after reading these post if anyone knows if you can "pre book" para sailing at HMC? My DH's birthday is next weekend and it would make an awesome birthday gift for our upcoming (3-3) Massadam cruise.

TIA

Elaine

^..^

Hi! I was just wondering after reading these post if anyone knows if you can "pre book" para sailing at HMC? My DH's birthday is next weekend and it would make an awesome birthday gift for our upcoming (3-3) Massadam cruise.

TIA

Elaine

^..^

yes, you can book it either online or by calling HAL directly. They will have you pay for it at the time you book, instead of charging it to your room as they do when you book onboard.

Did this last year - you guys are gonna love it!! Taking off and landing on the back of the boat was so easy, and the guys running the boat were very helpful. I have seen that they sometimes like to do the toe dip, where they let you come down and skim the water and then take you back up. Not sure if the "fliers" requested it or if its just "one of those things they do sometimes. Just in case I'd make sure they know you've got your camera. Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Marie

Did this last year - you guys are gonna love it!! Taking off and landing on the back of the boat was so easy, and the guys running the boat were very helpful. I have seen that they sometimes like to do the toe dip, where they let you come down and skim the water and then take you back up. Not sure if the "fliers" requested it or if its just "one of those things they do sometimes. Just in case I'd make sure they know you've got your camera. Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Marie

If you don't want the "freefall" option ... where they let you float down and actually touch the water before speeding the boat back up again to raise you back into the sky ... just tell the guy before you go up. They want you to have a fun ride and won't add that "feature" if it would frighten you.

I parasailed on HMC twice now and loved it both times. The people running the operation are professionals and make it a very fun time.

Be aware, however, that the boat rocks and rolls heading out to the open sea. They usually have about six parasailers in the boat, with one hour to get everyone up and safely back down. So, they have to watch their time and will therefore really open the throttle to get the boat out to the parasailing point. If you have a bad back or whatever, you might want to take the extremely bumpy ride into consideration.

Personally, I found the ride to be just as much fun as the parasailing itself.

As a sidenote ... someone mentioned bringing his video camera ... ahhhhh, I wouldn't advise that. When I was attending a writer's conference in Maui back in 2001, I went parasailing with a friend. She brought her expensive videocamera on the boat. She wrecked it. Even though she had it wrapped in plastic, apparently a lot of salt spray got inside it. With the boat bouncing that much on the water, how could you not have lots of salt spray? The videocamera stopped working shortly after she got off the boat. I don't know how badly it was damaged, but I know she couldn't use it anymore during her trip and was planning to get it looked at once she got home.

And ... don't forget ... there is always the possibility (however remote) that you could drop it while you are up in the parasail. Frankly, my advice would be to bring a disposable camera on the boat. It's much more prudent.

Blue skies and have fun!

--rita

Archived