Mardi Gras what a beauty! Wowza

tmt3698

I just got back home from a 7 day cruise on the Mardi Gras from Port Canaveral, I've cruised a lot but never on a mega ship and never a new one.

I normally feel like the ship isn't that important to me I look at them as a mode of transportation. But the Mardi Gras is spectacular, very impressive. 

I've never paid for the spa package either so that was a treat. FYI for you all that like the Fun Times under your door everyday they aren't doing that 

the guy a guest services said the CDC instructed them not to do that it could be a cross contamination. So you either have to go get one at guest services, Java blue or just look at the Hub app.

The first day I headed to the Lido deck for Street Eats and had a lobster roll, I like to walk around and discover things. Then took a nap and headed down to my early dining time in the Palm dining room. I walked around some more then headed to bed.

The second day I was up early ate breakfast, walked around got some great pics without a lot people around. Went back to my cabin put on my bathing suit and went to the luxurious spa for two hours!! They have two steam rooms, the salt room, three different experience showers, Thalassotherapy pool/hot tub, dry heat sauna and the heated bed/lounger! OMG those things are the bomb! Stayed two hours then back out to explore some more. Ate in the Palm dining room that night then went over to the Mardi Gras theatre at 8pm waited 30 mins for the doors to open for Playlist productions Rock Revolution. It was okay not great compared to other shows I've seen on other ships. Then went to the Punchliner comedy room for Just June she's very funny but holds nothing back so don't be offended. There was singer at Grand Central Marcus Anthony from St. Thomas wow now he can sing if you see him on the schedule go see him!  Next morning up early again, had breakfast at the Lido we arrived in Cozumel at 10am, had an independent excursion lined up with Cozumel Cruise Excursions. I had to walk over to El Cid hotel took about 5-6 mins. Thought about taking a taxi but the gal inside the port gates told me it was a flat fee of $8 to go anywhere, I found the "regulated" price sheet online before I left it said about $2 so I just walked. Tip: if you walk out of the cruise terminal the taxi rates will be less. 

This excursion took us to 3 snorkeling sites, two reef and starfish row or something like that, then they took us to a shallow area we stood around in the water they gave us beer and margaritas then they made some yummy guacamole and salsa and handed everyone a large plate. This was a smaller type fishing boat we had to plop over the side and climb a smallish ladder to get back on just an FYI. They gave us a ride back to the ship. Overall I was very happy with this excursion. 

Back to the ship for a shower and nap, slept two hours so headed to the Lido buffett for dinner. 

Next day in Costa Maya didn't have any plans except to find someone to share a taxi with into town, found a very nice couple we shared a taxi, in Costa Maya they say the taxi rates have gone up now it's $4 pp no matter what. We went to the Krazy Lobster it's a free beach club if you buy drinks and maybe some food the owner Maurcio is very nice and gave a free beer. We were all experienced snorkelers so we swam out to the reef although the workers there tried to convince us not to do it. But we put on bright orange life jackets and went for it. Some very nice patch reefs out there. Came back drank some beer, then used their kayaks, then I got a wonderful massage for 30 minutes for $10, went back joined my new friends in the water for a few more beers. Then we came back to the ship. 

Another shower and nap. This night I ate at Chi Bang, then explored the ship and headed to bed. 

Next day is Mahogany Bay Roatan the main I reason I took this trip, I've been trying to get to Roatan to snorkel for awhile and it didn't disappoint. 

Took the Carnival Tabyana Beach break excursion they meet you right in the cruise port, FYI if your doing an independent excursion which I was going to do you have to walk out of the cruise terminal and up a very steep hill to reach your tour operators. We took a mid sized van with AC to the West Bay about 45 mins of winding roads and they drive pretty fast. Got there they have lockers and snorkeling gear if you didn't bring any, lots of plastic loungers and shade huts. Our excursion didn't include drinks or food, they have tea and lemonaide for free or a tip, there are clean bathrooms and changing rooms, and a showers outside to rinse your body and feet. They have the area roped off so the hawkers can't come up onto the beach and their guys stand there the whole time and gaurd the area. They also have their guys with kayaks and boogie boards who will take you out to the reef where it drops off about 50 feet into the abyss. I gave my guide $10 bucks the fins they gave me were rubbing my foot and he towed me back in. After that I went back into the water w/o the guide and found a couple heading out the deep part and swam with them. The reef out there is amazing with tons of fish. You can also snorkel close to shore where it's fairly shallow and that is good snorkeling too. They have a few times the van goes back to the ship, got back showered took at nap then headed out for dinner at Cucina. I think I tried another show in the Mardi Gras theatre same singers this night was Broadway songs, got there early the theatre filled up to capacity, I wasn't very comfortable with that and the singers and dancers aren't that great IMO so I left after 10 minutes, walked around then headed to bed. 

The next two days I made a point to head back to the spa for two hours each time to get my time in and good use of my $129. Loved that place. Went up to the Serenity Deck and sat in a hot tub for a little while, this is adults only and they have a ton of chairs and loungers up there. Very nice. 

One morning I happened to be by the Havana Bar and the door to their private area was wide open so I went in and poked around and took some pics. 

Happened to go by the Carnival shop and they were having a blow out sale tshirts two for $20 got there early they open at 9am: tip for you if you want a good selection. By 10am they announced the sale and it was a mob scene! The next two days I kept busy doing I don't know what, the ship is so big you just wonder around and by the time you know it it's time for dinner! Had a great time the bed and pillows were very comfy, I think the sheets could be softer. The AC in my room was freezing cold, I turned it down at one point but that was a mistake, leave it alone, it had two blue bars and that kept it freezing in there. Other folks were complaining their room was hot. They have sinks with soap around the ship I washed my hands everytime I saw one and used hand sanitizer everytime I ate at the buffet after touching the tongs or anytime I touched something. I wiped my room down with Lysol wipes and made it through without getting sick. Had a great time! Wow what a ship, love all blue/white decor. Pictures to follow 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tmt3698 said:

I just got back home from a 7 day cruise on the Mardi Gras from Port Canaveral, I've cruised a lot but never on a mega ship and never a new one.

I normally feel like the ship isn't that important to me I look at them as a mode of transportation. But the Mardi Gras is spectacular, very impressive. 

I've never paid for the spa package either so that was a treat. FYI for you all that like the Fun Times under your door everyday they aren't doing that 

the guy a guest services said the CDC instructed them not to do that it could be a cross contamination. So you either have to go get one at guest services, Java blue or just look at the Hub app.

The first day I headed to the Lido deck for Street Eats and had a lobster roll, I like to walk around and discover things. Then took a nap and headed down to my early dining time in the Palm dining room. I walked around some more then headed to bed.

The second day I was up early ate breakfast, walked around got some great pics without a lot people around. Went back to my cabin put on my bathing suit and went to the luxurious spa for two hours!! They have two steam rooms, the salt room, three different experience showers, Thalassotherapy pool/hot tub, dry heat sauna and the heated bed/lounger! OMG those things are the bomb! Stayed two hours then back out to explore some more. Ate in the Palm dining room that night then went over to the Mardi Gras theatre at 8pm waited 30 mins for the doors to open for Playlist productions Rock Revolution. It was okay not great compared to other shows I've seen on other ships. Then went to the Punchliner comedy room for Just June she's very funny but holds nothing back so don't be offended. There was singer at Grand Central Marcus Anthony from St. Thomas wow now he can sing if you see him on the schedule go see him!  Next morning up early again, had breakfast at the Lido we arrived in Cozumel at 10am, had an independent excursion lined up with Cozumel Cruise Excursions. I had to walk over to El Cid hotel took about 5-6 mins. Thought about taking a taxi but the gal inside the port gates told me it was a flat fee of $8 to go anywhere, I found the "regulated" price sheet online before I left it said about $2 so I just walked. Tip: if you walk out of the cruise terminal the taxi rates will be less. 

This excursion took us to 3 snorkeling sites, two reef and starfish row or something like that, then they took us to a shallow area we stood around in the water they gave us beer and margaritas then they made some yummy guacamole and salsa and handed everyone a large plate. This was a smaller type fishing boat we had to plop over the side and climb a smallish ladder to get back on just an FYI. They gave us a ride back to the ship. Overall I was very happy with this excursion. 

Back to the ship for a shower and nap, slept two hours so headed to the Lido buffett for dinner. 

Next day in Costa Maya didn't have any plans except to find someone to share a taxi with into town, found a very nice couple we shared a taxi, in Costa Maya they say the taxi rates have gone up now it's $4 pp no matter what. We went to the Krazy Lobster it's a free beach club if you buy drinks and maybe some food the owner Maurcio is very nice and gave a free beer. We were all experienced snorkelers so we swam out to the reef although the workers there tried to convince us not to do it. But we put on bright orange life jackets and went for it. Some very nice patch reefs out there. Came back drank some beer, then used their kayaks, then I got a wonderful massage for 30 minutes for $10, went back joined my new friends in the water for a few more beers. Then we came back to the ship. 

Another shower and nap. This night I ate at Chi Bang, then explored the ship and headed to bed. 

Next day is Mahogany Bay Roatan the main I reason I took this trip, I've been trying to get to Roatan to snorkel for awhile and it didn't disappoint. 

Took the Carnival Tabyana Beach break excursion they meet you right in the cruise port, FYI if your doing an independent excursion which I was going to do you have to walk out of the cruise terminal and up a very steep hill to reach your tour operators. We took a mid sized van with AC to the West Bay about 45 mins of winding roads and they drive pretty fast. Got there they have lockers and snorkeling gear if you didn't bring any, lots of plastic loungers and shade huts. Our excursion didn't include drinks or food, they have tea and lemonaide for free or a tip, there are clean bathrooms and changing rooms, and a showers outside to rinse your body and feet. They have the area roped off so the hawkers can't come up onto the beach and their guys stand there the whole time and gaurd the area. They also have their guys with kayaks and boogie boards who will take you out to the reef where it drops off about 50 feet into the abyss. I gave my guide $10 bucks the fins they gave me were rubbing my foot and he towed me back in. After that I went back into the water w/o the guide and found a couple heading out the deep part and swam with them. The reef out there is amazing with tons of fish. You can also snorkel close to shore where it's fairly shallow and that is good snorkeling too. They have a few times the van goes back to the ship, got back showered took at nap then headed out for dinner at Cucina. I think I tried another show in the Mardi Gras theatre same singers this night was Broadway songs, got there early the theatre filled up to capacity, I wasn't very comfortable with that and the singers and dancers aren't that great IMO so I left after 10 minutes, walked around then headed to bed. 

The next two days I made a point to head back to the spa for two hours each time to get my time in and good use of my $129. Loved that place. Went up to the Serenity Deck and sat in a hot tub for a little while, this is adults only and they have a ton of chairs and loungers up there. Very nice. 

One morning I happened to be by the Havana Bar and the door to their private area was wide open so I went in and poked around and took some pics. 

Happened to go by the Carnival shop and they were having a blow out sale tshirts two for $20 got there early they open at 9am: tip for you if you want a good selection. By 10am they announced the sale and it was a mob scene! The next two days I kept busy doing I don't know what, the ship is so big you just wonder around and by the time you know it it's time for dinner! Had a great time the bed and pillows were very comfy, I think the sheets could be softer. The AC in my room was freezing cold, I turned it down at one point but that was a mistake, leave it alone, it had two blue bars and that kept it freezing in there. Other folks were complaining their room was hot. They have sinks with soap around the ship I washed my hands everytime I saw one and used hand sanitizer everytime I ate at the buffet after touching the tongs or anytime I touched something. I wiped my room down with Lysol wipes and made it through without getting sick. Had a great time! Wow what a ship, love all blue/white decor. Pictures to follow 

enhance

Palm Dining room/ MDR

enhance

French Quarter

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Grand Central

enhance

Hallway to the  Havana cabins

enhance

enhance

Private Havana deck

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

Havana Bar

enhance

enhance

Seating around Grand Central

enhance

enhance

Cucina del Capitano

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Red Frog Tiki Bar

enhance

enhance

Guy Ferrari's burger joint.....yummy

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Pig & Anchor

enhance

enhance

Lots of tables and chairs all around the Lido buffett

enhance

enhance

Main pool

enhance

Cloud 9 Spa

enhance

enhance

enhance

Serenity Deck adults only

enhance

enhance

Here she is big & bold

enhance

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

thank you for this review and the wonderful pictures!!!

hugs from texas!!

Your welcome, I love to write these reviews. And before I go on my cruise I read and read some more!

• Like 1

Currently on Mardi Gras... Not thrilled with the size of the cabins, or the bathrooms therein.  The showers are an improvement.

The public spaces are nice. It feels like an adaptation of the Royal Promenade on Freedom Class ships. Though the placement of some venues is inexplicable on upper decks.

Overall, I think I prefer Vista or Dream Class ships.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mike_ga said:

Currently on Mardi Gras... Not thrilled with the size of the cabins, or the bathrooms therein.  The showers are an improvement.

The public spaces are nice. It feels like an adaptation of the Royal Promenade on Freedom Class ships. Though the placement of some venues is inexplicable on upper decks.

Unless the bigger ships come to galveston I have only dream and Vista class, however I love them!!!

thanks to all you wonderful reviewers I get to experience them all of the ships!!

and I am extremely grateful!!

hugs from texas!!!

Edited by princess76021

42 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

Unless the bigger ships come to galveston I have only dream and Vista class, however I love them!!!

thanks to all you wonderful reviewers I get to experience them all of the ships!!

hugs from texas!!!

Had fun taking all the pictures, I like to get up early so I can get pics with no people.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

hugs from texas!!!

Hi Mike, bathroom still small but felt the shower was bigger. My interior was small, I think the smallest I've ever had but the closet had a ton of space. My remote control for the tv seemed wacky, I think some of the buttons didn't work.

5 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. The pictures show the beauty of this ship.  

Your welcome, I was impressed. I really liked the French Quarter how the lights change

from blue to purple to pink. Reminds me of the Carnival Liberty

• Like 1

7 hours ago, princess76021 said:

hugs from texas!!!

There is a very good chance the third Excel class ship will homeport in Galveston. I'm not too sure I'll be happy with the narrow cabins; down from 185sf to 158sf.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike_ga said:

1 hour ago, Wendilui said:

Booked on the Mardi Gras in March but dreaming now. Have you found any true coffee bars? I bought the Cheers! package for the alcohol, but I love good coffee in the mornings. Thanks from NC!

Hello, I went down to the Lido buffet to get coffee but I did watch a You Tube video and he recommended Java Blue. Have fun, I'm having ship life withdraws getting back to the grind of cooking and cleaning!

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Hi tmt3698,

Thank you for posting & I hope you're still following it? I will be doing the Carnival "Tabyana Beach Break" Feb 1 2023. The Glory is in Port from 8am - 6pm. The excursion states it is 4 hours in length. Do they adhere to the 4 hrs as stated? Does the 4 hrs include the 1.5 hr road time? Can you tell me when the last transport to return to Mahogany Bay is? My concern is if I have time to snorkel & have a meal at a restaurant near by. I am pumped to return to the reef to snorkel! Any help from anyone would  be greatly appreciated. 🙂

1 minute ago, lidopuppy said:

Thank you for that report and photos. Looks great. We will be on Mardi Gras next year.  Could you please tell me what the PLAYLIST PRODUCTIONS shows were onboard?

This thread/review were from 2021. You might want to ask on a more current thread?