Traveling w/young kids...help!!

ovion

I'll be traveling with my 3 young children (1yr, almost 3yr, 5yr) this April on Mariner (Western Car). Any advice from seasoned parents about best dining options, not-to-miss entertainment for the kids? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My kids have been on 3 cruises, the first one they were 2 and 5. They really had a good time in Adventure Ocean. Please remember that they have to be at least 3 and potty trained in order to participate. The do have a program for toddlers now that you can take them to, but you will have to stay with them. My kids loved the pools, the beach, the food, the dancing, everything about cruising they love. Have a FAB time!

My kids have been on 3 cruises, the first one they were 2 and 5. They really had a good time in Adventure Ocean. Please remember that they have to be at least 3 and potty trained in order to participate. The do have a program for toddlers now that you can take them to, but you will have to stay with them. My kids loved the pools, the beach, the food, the dancing, everything about cruising they love. Have a FAB time!

My neice wants to bring her son along on a cruise we are planning for my in laws (her grandparents) 60th anniversary. Her son will be just about 6 weeks shy of 3 yrs old. If he is potty trained will they let him into the kids program? Do they have any kind of program for 2 yr olds? I know he is used to the day care setting since he goes every day, so he would probably adjust well. I just need to know what to tell her, so she can decide if she REALLY wants to bring him if she won't be able to get a break. Thanks a bunch..Melissa

They are very strict about the 3 years old rule. They have to be, otherwise every parent with an "almost 3, potty trained, well behaved" child would expect an exception, and then the rule is meaningless.

There is a program (Aquababies and Aquatots) for those younger than 3. It's a 45 minute or so session where a parent (or other adult) has to stay with the child. I guess it's kind of like a "baby and me" type program with toys and such.

beachchick

Hi-

We cruised the Mariner when my kids were 3 and 5 years....we had such a great time! The AO program is awesome as already stated and I cannot agree more with taking them to the ice skating show! We only took ours into the dining room one night...we were with a large group and had the late seating. In my opinion....that was way too late to expect "good behavior" from them and they were starving by that time anyway! We ate exclusively in the WindJammer and we were all very happy with it. We aren't a picky bunch and thought the food was quite good, especially the asian food. Kids liked picking out their own food etc. Oh yeah....we also ate in Johnny Rockets a few times which was a nice treat! I took my kids with me to afternoon bingo one day and they LOVED helping find the numbers...just an idea if you are getting too much sun! The ice cream machine by the pool was the absolute highlight of their trip!

Enjoy your trip....you are in for the time of your life!!

My best advise is to keep with the child's schedule as much as you can. The afternoon naps are imprtant. We chose to take turns for this duty but it meant a happier child at mealtime. Also, the stroller is invaluable. If the child is old enought Adventure Ocean is great. I can't say enough about the program.

For those under three there is Aqua-Tots but an adult must remain with the child. The program is run by Fisher-Price. There is also in-room babysitting available. Up to 3 children is the same family it is $10/hour.

FYI, while I am not a Carnival fan, their kids' program allows children 2 and up and potty training is not a requirement.

We took our older two on Mariner in October.

Go to Guest Relations the first day and get a sitter for those romantic late nights. We LOVED our sitter. LOVED her. Yes there was a language barrier but she was top drawer and really loved our boys. We never felt a moments hesitation about leaving them and I don't like leaving my kids with sitters. Not even family (of course the inlaws give them pop, something we do not allow).

Only your 5 year old can to to AO, but she will have a ball.

Naps are important. Don't forget them. It's great advice and not mine origanally, but they saved us. We napped and our 6 and 8 year olds napped.

They really work hard in AO to have fun with the kids.

No one may no the answer but here goes anyway.......

My son will newly be 3 by the time of our cruise. He is potty trained, very well I might add. The only concern I have is, does the AO bathroom have a step stool so the small children can reach the potty on their own. If not I may have a problem with my son going to the restroom at AO. I know the counclers are not allowed to assist them..

My son will newly be 3 by the time of our cruise. He is potty trained, very well I might add. The only concern I have is, does the AO bathroom have a step stool so the small children can reach the potty on their own. If not I may have a problem with my son going to the restroom at AO. I know the counclers are not allowed to assist them..

According to my boys, no it does not. They said the "baby room" has "shorter potties". I would not rely on the words of a 6 and 8 year old but it's a start.

On the navigator last year, I am pretty sure that the toilet in AO was lower to the ground, and possibly a smaller size. My sone was 3 yrs 2 months and had no problem with it -- I remember peeking at it at the open house so that we could explain anything to him.

volleymasha

You just need to know that they are very strict about the 3 years old thing. A polite request might work and I am sure that some have been able to get their kids in but just be prepared for a no. Remember they have his exact age via his birth certificate. A couple of years ago the Miami based manager of the AO program wrote to a CC member about the enitre issue including swimmies in the pools and his letter was posted here. It was very stern.

We cruised with two grandchildren under three and they still had a ball and that was before Aqua-tots. Enjoy!.

I understand totally. I am against bringing him. He won't remember it and his mother won't get a break. I know this sounds stingy, but we suffered through vacations with toddlers ( mostly camping and visits to family) and I would not plan on offering to watch him for her. He can stay home with his

Dad since he is not planning to go.

Aqua-babies and Aqua-tots is wonderful for the very little ones, but keep in mind that it is only for 45mins.-1hour, once a day. A parent or adult care-giver must attend session with the child. My grand-daughter enjoyed it recently on the Majesty.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only grandma taking her grandbaby (along with his mom and dad of course!). We're having a family reunion on the Navigator in Oct and our grandson will be 2. I'm looking forward to a whole week with my little guy and his parents will want a babysitter!

TANKER Good For You.

My little guy will be 3 in march, we live in Indiana. He has been to Disney World 4 times and to FL keys twice. He has become quite the traveler. Grandpa always travels with us also and I think at times he has more fun than my husband and I.

It will be difficult at times with your grandson. He isn't going to be the angel you know him to be all the time. But those wonderful times when he is will be completly unforgetable. And it will make all the headaches worth it. The bad memories will fade over time but the pictures and good memories will last forever.

There have been many frustrating moments on our vacations with my son. And at the time we may have been at our wits end wondering why we had done this. But when we get home and look back, we laugh, and those bad memories have turned it something great.

I'm sure you will have a terrific time.

My neice wants to bring her son along on a cruise we are planning for my in laws (her grandparents) 60th anniversary. Her son will be just about 6 weeks shy of 3 yrs old. If he is potty trained will they let him into the kids program? Do they have any kind of program for 2 yr olds? I know he is used to the day care setting since he goes every day, so he would probably adjust well. I just need to know what to tell her, so she can decide if she REALLY wants to bring him if she won't be able to get a break. Thanks a bunch..Melissa

*Very* strict. We took a cruise over Christmas once and my nephew was two weeks shy of his third birthday, and they wouldn't take him. It wasn't that big of a deal, I don't think he would have gone anyway. At that point in his life he had only ever interacted with adults and didn't know what to do with other kids. Now, at 8, he loves the kids programs.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. I am planning on suggesting that he stay home. I was never able to cruise when my kids were young, we drove to Mississippi evry year to visit my parents who had retired there from Chicago....20 hours in a car with 6 kids !!! Not sure NOW how we did it, but we went every year and that was the extent of what we could afford and all the time hubby had off.I don't regret visiting my Mom, since she is gone now though. I am grateful that 1/2 my kids somewhat remember her.

She left it up to me to find out all the information about the kids club and stuff, so I will give her the lowdown and an honest opinion of what I would do. Since she is not going to be able to cruise often, this will probably be it for a long time, I think she would have much more fun not worrying about her 2 year old. The father is not coming so his care would be all up to her, or other family members. Since I have 6 of my own to be distracted with, I don't think I will be able to help much. Besides they already booked 4 adults in the cabin..I don't think they can add a 2 yr old can they?

No, four is the limit in any cabin.

I love my babies, I realy do. I think they are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Still the thought of chasing Hernie-Roo (2) and JJ (1 and a half) around a ship. That does not sound like a vacation to me. If I had one toddler and no other children and two parents (outnumbering is always good) then maybe but the last trip we were lucky to have a good sitter for our babies. We did take our older two (6 and 8) so I do not believe children do not belong. Please do not get me wrong.

I do agree with you. It would be different if he could go in the kids club and his mom could have a break. He is typically 2....you know....temper tantrums and very active. I would not want to chase him either. Like I said before, he can stay home with his Daddy, who is not going.

Archived