Covid Test Required or Not Required for Vaccinated Guests Europe Cruises

doublebzz

The MSC web site currently states this about Covid tests:

"NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED*: All guests 2 years and older — regardless of vaccination status — must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test. See below for more details about tests."

On August 31st, I received the following email concerning my Sep 18th cruise:

"

All Guests need to present one of the following:
  • A molecular or antigen test certificate, taken within 48 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test is not required for Guests under 2 years old.
  • A vaccination certificate (full set of vaccine shots* received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise. Vaccines accepted: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson). *This applies also to Guests recovered from COVID-19 with one shot of vaccine, if their green/health pass is complete (or if they have all the relevant medical certificates)

Does anyone know which set of guidance is governing - mandatory tests for vaccinated guests or the guidance I received which states a vaccination certificate can be presented in lieu of the test?

1 hour ago, doublebzz said:

"NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED*: All guests 2 years and older — regardless of vaccination status — must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test. See below for more details about tests."

"

• A molecular or antigen test certificate, taken within 48 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test is not required for Guests under 2 years old.
  • A vaccination certificate (full set of vaccine shots* received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise. Vaccines accepted: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson). *This applies also to Guests recovered from COVID-19 with one shot of vaccine, if their green/health pass is complete (or if they have all the relevant medical certificates)

Does anyone know which set of guidance is governing - mandatory tests for vaccinated guests or the guidance I received which states a vaccination certificate can be presented in lieu of the test?

We just came back yesterday from Europe, we had an MSC cruise from August 28-September 4. They wanted to see the CDC vaccination card at embarkation. They also did a rapid test at the port before we could board. Enjoy your cruise, we had an absolutely fantastic time!

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We just came back yesterday from Europe, we had an MSC cruise from August 28-September 4. They wanted to see the CDC vaccination card at embarkation. They also did a rapid test at the port before we could board. Enjoy your cruise, we had an absolutely fantastic time!

Thanks for your response.  Just got off the phone with MSC Rep and they say the web site takes precedence and even fully vaccinated need the Covid test regardless of what my email stated.  On a related subject, were you required to take MSC tours if you wanted to debark in any of the Italian ports?  My understanding is you can travel independently in Spanish ports but must take the tours in Italy.

14 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Thanks for your response.  Just got off the phone with MSC Rep and they say the web site takes precedence and even fully vaccinated need the Covid test regardless of what my email stated.  On a related subject, were you required to take MSC tours if you wanted to debark in any of the Italian ports?  My understanding is you can travel independently in Spanish ports but must take the tours in Italy.

You're welcome. We are fully vaccinated, as well, and we needed to have the pre-embarkation Covid test also. We had a test done just a day before we flew to Italy and showed that at the airport in DC, but I don't remember MSC asking to see that. We were only required to use MSC-sponsored excursions in Italy, yes. Mask-wearing was strictly enforced and we had to present our CDC vaccination cards at the Frasassi caves. Some excursions require you to show the card and others don't. MSC was very helpful in explaining which did and which didn't. I believe only fully vaccinated people were allowed to disembark at the other, non-Italian ports.

19 minutes ago, Raymanator said:

So were you able to depart and tour on your own in the ports in Spain?

What ports did you visit?

Thanks

Was your question for me? I wasn't sure. The countries we visited were Italy, Croatia and Greece. We did not go to Spain so I can't comment on that.

On 9/7/2021 at 12:51 PM, doublebzz said:

"

I also found this confusing. In the email we received with e-tickets it said Antigen testing would be provided at the pier. But their US website also says you need to bring a test result with you. I find that the various version of the MSC website per country have different rules listed which don't help clarify what applies for this cruise.

10 minutes ago, jeds said:

I also found this confusing. In the email we received with e-tickets it said Antigen testing would be provided at the pier. But their US website also says you need to bring a test result with you. I find that the various version of the MSC website per country have different rules listed which don't help clarify what applies for this cruise.

We were tested at embarkation by MSC (for free), in Trieste. However, just to be on the safe side, we got a negative test at a local pharmacy (in our home town) the day before we left for Italy. I'd probably do the same thing, just to be sure. It might depend on whether the cruise is in Europe vs the US, regarding the requirement to show proof of a negative test. Just as a side note, even if you're looking at the MSC USA site, you have to click on which area you're sailing in (Caribbean vs Europe) to see the requirements, because they differ.

Edited by DCGuy64

14 hours ago, doublebzz said:

The latest on European cruises (changes daily) is starting September 15th, all guests have to be vaccinated.

I wonder if this is mandatory for all passengers or only for non-Schengen passengers. The German covid information page seems to have stern restrictions on US passengers (USA is listed as a risk country). Seaview departs from Germany.