Culinary Discovery Tours on the Riviera, Western Med GV

AlexCherie

We have booked a Grand Voyage as our first O trip - on Riviera next April. The discussions here proved the final impetus to pull the lever, and I am excited beyond control at the thought of getting a Concierge (A2) room. (For any particular insight you'd like to offer, 9th floor, 9069).  

I haven't seen this topic discussed (prolly didn't look hard enough) and the entire idea of a complete, restorative trip with such small ports ... wow. So, seasoned O cruisers, tell me about Culinary Discovery tours. My history includes an extensive past in professional kitchens so you can imagine my excitement to work with world class chefs, picking out the produce and products.

How often can I expect these excursions? Are they difficult to secure a seat? Do I have any inside advantage to do so? What happens after the tour ... and tell me, while we're at it, how the O line incorporates this experience with time in the test kitchens (assuming they do, in some way)? Any hidden secrets you'd like to share? My expectations tell me that these will be likely not among the included excursions in our lineup.

We haven't taken a vacation in three years, and our entire lives have been built around experiences around the world. I am feeling like this trip is going to be akin to Tom Hanks in the "after" party in Castaway ... just bursting with every sensory explosion.

TIA.

Edited by AlexCherie

19 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

My history includes an extensive past in professional kitchens so you can imagine my excitement to work with world class chefs, picking out the produce and products.

We have taken a couple of these, one in Tangiers and two in the Caribbean. They were interesting in the sense that we met in the culinary centre beforehand, left the ship in this small group and shopped, had a meal together which showcased the food of that country and then we returned to the ship and cooked a few dishes. They were experiences that you can't do by yourself. They are not cheap.

With your past experiences, don't set your expectations too high. In the The cooking tips and experiences are set for the average home cook for the courses we took. The prep was pre-done. Nevertheless they were a lot of fun.

Tip? Arrive early at the culinary centre and grab a front table. Sit near the Oceania chef on the bus and at the meals.

Speak to one of the sommeliers on board about the wine tastings - usually paired with interesting canapés. We really enjoyed these.

Attend one or more of the La Reserve dinners - - fantastic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robjame said:

We have taken a couple of these, one in Tangiers and two in the Caribbean. They were interesting in the sense that we met in the culinary centre beforehand, left the ship in this small group and shopped, had a meal together which showcased the food of that country and then we returned to the ship and cooked a few dishes. They were experiences that you can't do by yourself. They are not cheap.

With your past experiences, don't set your expectations too high. In the The cooking tips and experiences are set for the average home cook for the courses we took. The prep was pre-done. Nevertheless they were a lot of fun.

Tip? Arrive early at the culinary centre and grab a front table. Sit near the Oceania chef on the bus and at the meals.

Speak to one of the sommeliers on board about the wine tastings - usually paired with interesting canapés. We really enjoyed these.

Attend one or more of the La Reserve dinners - - fantastic.

Fantastic response. 

I've spent time in the Culinary Center on the Pinnacle class HAL ship. That was barely okay - for much of what you said. Without the "tour" part, I'm not so sure I need someone to tell me that Italians never break their spaghetti.

That said, I'm open to learning. It seems to me that we've become a world of YouTube videos and self-instruction, and even more today we've lost community enhancement. 

I'm so looking forward to this trip I'm about to burst. 

I never took one of the culinary shop and cook tours but I have taken cooking classes on the O ships on sea days.  I did not learn much of anything new but it was a lot of fun (each person has their own station so all get to try every technique,etc) and we did get recipes from some of the most popular specialty restaurant menus.  It is way cheaper than the culinary tours.  Just do not make early dinner reservations on a night that you do a class.

• Like 1