Which port to go Panga fishing

Caribbean Drifters

I'm a die hard fisherman, I already plan on trying to catch a Roosterfish from the beach in Mazatlan, but dont want to make the whole cruise a fishing trip. If any one has experienced panga fishing in the ports of Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, which is the best of these ports to go bottom fishing, mostly jigging? thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

*** Anything I tell you is based on our pre-pandemic experiences since 2000. *** 

For Vallarta -

I am not a diehard fisherman.  I am from Wisconsin and fish the waters of MN, WI and Lake Michigan.  I have never seen that type fishing done down here.   We stay in a condo several weeks at a time most years and occasionally hire a panga right off the beach.  The panga skipper seldom speaks any English but it has been easy to get across the concept that he cleans two fish for us and he gets to take all the rest home for his family.  We go out in the bay and usually haul in a lot of Dorado.

Sport fishing out of Vallarta is a challenge for cruise ship passengers due to the travel time to/from the fishing areas.  Panga fishing inside Banderas Bay is very possible.  

I strongly suggest you contact a couple fishing charter outfits directly, explain what you hope to do and what time you will be in port.  The fishing charter boats, of all sizes, are in the Marina located right next to the port.  You might talk to:   https://www.puertovallartafishing.net  or https://masterbaiters.com.mx

Enjoy! . . .

Edited by MSN-Travelers
  • Like 1