Templeton Tours abord the Zaandam

Szaftoo

My mother and her cousin just booked a cruise to Alaska through the above listed cruise line. This is a cruise that is sponsored by a Christian organization and will have speakers and entertainment by Christian artists. I have done my homework and it looks good but wondered if I could get other opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

My mother and I did the Alaska cruise last year on the Amsterdam and we enjoyed it very much. The food was good, the service was good, the dinning room and stateroom attendants were wonderful. There was a very knowledgable naturalist onboard who narrated our cruise thru Tracy Arm. The other passengers were excited to be there, polite, and interesting. We took a float plane trip over several glaciers. We did not actually stop - just flew over - and WOW! What a highlight for us. Your family will have a wonderful and memorable trip.

• 2 weeks later...
My mother and her cousin just booked a cruise to Alaska through the above listed cruise line. This is a cruise that is sponsored by a Christian organization and will have speakers and entertainment by Christian artists. I have done my homework and it looks good but wondered if I could get other opinions.

I am a Christian and also an avid cruiser. I've often wanted to take a Christian cruise, but I find that the cost is generally much higher than the same identical cruise booked on one's own. Especially when one is a solo cruiser ... and the single supplements on these cruises are generally at around 100% ... that could get pretty expensive.

In fact, it's not just Christian cruises, but any kind of "special event" type cruise that's so expensive. Someone has to pay for those berths the sponsoring organization needs for their speakers, entertainers, etc. And, believe me, they don't generally travel in inside cabins either. When I took my Maui Writer's Conference cruise in 2004, all of those instructors brought on by the Conference were staying in suites ... one even in the Penthouse Suite. They weren't paying one single dime ... while I was paying top dollar and hunkering down in a shared inside cabin. I've since found that I could take two cruises ... with my own cabin ... for the money it would cost me to take a "special event" cruise ... and that's why I won't do them anymore.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived