One (small) cruise line adds free medical insurance including COVID - plus RCL news on testing

Robjame

I really don't know why he thinks that the free insurance offered by Atlas Ocean Voyages might ever be considered by mainstream cruise lines. This $$$$$ cruise line includes complimentary direct private charter jet service for Antarctica cruises, so does Don also think that Celebrity might start flying me to FLL by private jet in the future? I suppose that speculative pieces have a place in his vlogs, but this one is way out of whack with reality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

cruises, so does Don also think that Celebrity might start flying me to FLL by private jet in the future?

I didn’t hear him mention that but one thing we can all agree on -  cruising has been affected by COVID and the inability of Canadians to get insurance which covers COVID (You have referred to that often).

This glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, one cruise line offering insurance which includes COVID, is a possible solution. 
Will other lines begin offering it? I don’t know but wouldn’t it be great? In retail often “Monkey see, monkey do”.

Let’s wait and see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

The YouTube screengrab of Don in @Robjame 's OP frightens me.

Not gonna click on it.😬

Sadly, that's part of his silly schtick. Most of his Youtube video "thumbnails" have him making some ridiculous gesture like this. Amazingly, some people lap it up and love his stuff.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 3:19 PM, lx200gps said:

Sadly, that's part of his silly schtick. Most of his Youtube video "thumbnails" have him making some ridiculous gesture like this

Yes I can see how it would be strange to those not used to vlogs and YouTube. Unfortunately about half of the vlogers do these silly thumbnails and headlines in an attempt to grab attention. Google YouTube vlog and see what you get.

20 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Sadly, that's part of his silly schtick. Most of his Youtube video "thumbnails" have him making some ridiculous gesture like this. Amazingly, some people lap it up and love his stuff.

At a certain point, the ranting and the drama-queen stuff becomes self-limiting. He would do well to study PewDiePie, who has 110M viewers, way less shtick, and thumbnails that don't scream 'I am a ranting clown'.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

I didn’t hear him mention that but one thing we can all agree on -  cruising has been affected by COVID and the inability of Canadians to get insurance which covers COVID (You have referred to that often).

This glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, one cruise line offering insurance which includes COVID, is a possible solution. 
Will other lines begin offering it? I don’t know but wouldn’t it be great? In retail often “Monkey see, monkey do”.

Let’s wait and see.

I agree with you that insurance is an issue, but I don't think that the step taken by Atlas is one that can be taken by mainstream lines. It's a very small line running highly expensive All Inclusive (real AI, not Celebrity's pared down Always Included version) cruises and the insurance is just one more amenity to go along with their unlimited high-end wines and private jet flights. 

I won't be holding my breath as we wait and see! 😇

• Like 2

NCL - Norwegian, Oceania, Regent Seven Seas - adds free condition-based Covid Insurance

NCL accepting only fully vaccinated passengers

US - Mixed mRNA vaccines accepted

Elsewhere - AZ/mRNA vaccines accepted

Conditions

1. Have a negative Covid test 72-96 hours before embarkation

2. Have a Covid test at embarkation

If this test is positive, NCL will pay for your hospitalization, medical care, quarantine, travel home (to the extent it is beyond any insurance (if any) that you have).

3. If this embarkation test is negative - NCL will pay for your hospitalization, medical care, quarantine, travel home, MedEvac if you test positive for Covid while on the cruise.

Canada's "Do Not Cruise" declaration is not an issue.

While this would not cover usual medical insurance, it seems this could supplement what is already available. 

It seems to be another step towards solving the concerns of Canadians cruising.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Would you happen to know if this is for new bookings only -- or are existing reservations also covered?

I believe it is a policy, rather than an offer.

As there are 3 Cruise Lines, I would suggest you contact your TA and get clarification as it is quite complicated.

If you go to the forum for one of the particular cruise lines, you will probably find a lot of threads having to do with pre-cruise testing. I know there are a lot of threads on Oceania.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I'll be looking up HMS Garbage Scow

You might find MSC more to your liking.

‘They are also offering free  COVID insurance.

Here is a cruise critic article on this growing trend of cruise lines offering free COVID insurance.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5673

Cheers.

• Thanks 1