Live from Splendida

soloadventurer

Boarded in Barcelona 5th Oct. 

Boarding was absolute chaos, people jumping the queue. Elderly left in wheelchairs for 1.5hrs. 

Our boarding time had changed 3 times prior to the cruise. So 4pm was our slot, we arrived around 3.30pm and it took 3hrs to get onboard. 

PCR test prior to the cruise and a PCR before boarding. 

Once onboard cruise card was wrong with NO drinks package on it and the dinning time had been changed. So another 30mins at guest services. 

Guests are NOT allowed off on their own and must use excursions. 

Now the plus points. 

Staff onboard fantastic so friendly. 

Food has been very good and special mention to the Butchers cut. 

Ship is spotless clean and looks in great order for its age. 

I'd say the ship is 70/80% full. 

Weather has been very good. 

Great to hear the onboard experience is good.   I’ve read several reports similar to your embarkation experience.  Can’t understand why they can’t sort these problems out. 

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise.  Thanks for sharing. 

Hello from the same ship. 👍

YC embarkation was faster but still chaotic and poorly organised. I'm finding on board crew a bit variable. My last two cruises were among the first sailings for those ships, so the crew were very fresh and excited - can't decide if it's given me unreasonable expectations. 

Looking forward to Butchers Cut. Not been there yet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Hello from the same ship. 👍

YC embarkation was faster but still chaotic and poorly organised. I'm finding on board crew a bit variable. My last two cruises were among the first sailings for those ships, so the crew were very fresh and excited - can't decide if it's given me unreasonable expectations. 

Javier in Butchers cut will look after you. 

Tell Mr John sent you 😎

13 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Great to hear the onboard experience is good.   I’ve read several reports similar to your embarkation experience.  Can’t understand why they can’t sort these problems out. 

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise.  Thanks for sharing. 

One reason given which holds some weight and Huntingdon can confirm this. Is the ship hit stormy weather before docking late in Barcelona. 

2 minutes ago, soloadventurer said:

One reason given which holds some weight and Huntingdon can confirm this. Is the ship hit stormy weather before docking late in Barcelona. 

That would explain it, I’m sure.  The Med has been rough over the last couple of days or so.  Our friends on Grandiosa, sailing from Italy, experienced quite a bit of motion and a lot of wind. 

Two other things. 

Not once was our COVID  travel insurance checked !! A must requirement they said!! 

A large party from the U.S arrived with lateral flow/Antigen tests and were refused boarding - it became quite heated after 30mins they were allowed onboard. Another couple had to rush into Barcelona for a PCR Tests. 

Another great plus Ivana a pianist and singer - La prua bar and I believe the YC

11 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

We love BC and it’s the only Speciality Restaurant we go to for our Diamond perk (when we’re onboard the ships that have one).   Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

We love BC and it’s the only Speciality Restaurant we go to for our Diamond perk (when we’re onboard the ships that have one).   Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

Yeah we used it with our Diamond perk and service up on the Top sail. 

• Like 2

Just now, Beamafar said:

That would explain it, I’m sure.  The Med has been rough over the last couple of days or so.  Our friends on Grandiosa, sailing from Italy, experienced quite a bit of motion and a lot of wind. 

Yes, they arrived about 3 hours late to Barcelona because of it. Not sure it accounts for all the issues, but surely a factor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soloadventurer said:

Not once was our COVID  travel insurance checked !! A must requirement they said!! 

I was on the phone to MSC today enquiring about our tickets as we haven’t received them yet (it’s an issue to do with the flights).   The agent did a quick check through our booking to make sure everything was in order and mentioned that there was no indication of insurance and did I want to add MSC’s.  I said I have insurance, including for Covidand she said that they didn’t have the info.  I told her that I’ve never had to submit insurance info in any of our 23 cruises with them.  She said she’s been told to ask but that it’s not necessary.  I think they’re just trying to sell it to people!  

Just now, soloadventurer said:

Two other things. 

Mine wasn't either. They did before letting me on board Virtuosa in June. It's all a bit erratic. 

Customer services had taken some insurance details ahead of boarding, but they couldn't know about the Covid cover. 

2 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Mine wasn't either. They did before letting me on board Virtuosa in June. It's all a bit erratic. 

Customer services had taken some insurance details ahead of boarding, but they couldn't know about the Covid cover. 

Maybe the ship being delayed getting into port meant they just wanted to speed up the embarkation process by letting that go?