Anyone experience thefts during excursions?

djmckinn

We did not have any problems personally, but a couple at our table on the 4/25 Inspiration cruise went on a stingray/snorkeling tour and the Belize snorkeling (I think it was the Barrier Reef Snorkeling) booked through Carnival. They reported that people had money stolen from them on both trips, especially on the Belize outing (we are talking hundreds of dollars per person in some cases). They also said the rum punch on the Belize outing was very strange because after just a few drinks people started just going wild and the drinks didn’t taste like they had a lot of rum. Carnival didn’t seem to care too much about people’s complaints (not that Carnival is responsible, but they should probably at least sympathize and say they'll review the companies they do business with, etc).

I was just curious if others had any experiences with money being stolen or heard of any such accounts. Also wondered if this is more of a problem on Carnival booked excursions since you really don't know the company they've contracted with. Thefts occuring with independent companies would be very harmful to their reputation on this and other boards I would think.

Anyways, just a reminder to be careful about your belongings and don’t bring more money than you need.

They carried "hundreds" of dollars each? That sounds like an awful lot to carry on an excursion. I've never had a theft problem on any of my 14 cruises or excursions with private vendors. As for the tour operations, their living and reputations depend on we tourists being satisfied.

We never had a problem on the ship or on excursions-we use common sense and I carry money, credit cards, sail and sign cards in one of those plastic containers around my neck.

On our ship last Oct, we had a couple leave the ship with another couple in St Thomas and they decided to WALK into town. Both couples were retired, so maybe NOT the best idea to WALK to town in that heat? Part of the way into town, they got tired and went into a shelter type bus stop to wait for the local bus. Woman was telling anyone who would listen how they were robbed by the locals. Not exactly sure how to phrase this but looking at and hearing this woman talk-they were putting themselves in a dangerous position-she was wearing a TON of flashy jewelry in the pool as she told us of the incident. No one "deserves" to be a victim of crime but in many situations you can avoid it by using common sense-don't wear flashy jewelry, don't carry large amounts of cash, don't go off the beaten path, TAKE A taxi to avoid LONG walks. Criminals ARE everywhere looking for people who are NOT careful-the EASY victims. Most people use caution at home but many forget it on vacation. Good idea also to READ as much as you can about the ports you will be visiting.

Was the excursion recommended by Carnival? If so I would think that they would be interested. Unhappy people let others know and business is lost.I am sure the Carnival gets a kickback for recommending them so would doubt that they want disgruntled guests.

We go once a year and have only lost a camera that I left sitting on a table during the Muster Drill. My fault.

Any money I take on an excursion never leaves my body. Even while snorkeling, it goes inside my bathing suit or my waterproof waist pack. I never leave anything of value for anyone to steal.

Judy

Celebration 2/96

Imagination 2/97

Fascination 12/97

Imagination 3/99

Spirit 11/01

Sensation 1/02

Pride 11/02

Voyager of the Seas 5/03

Conquest 10/04

bethee -

Yes both excursions were booked through Carnival on the ship. That's why I was a little surprised. However, since it is booked through Carnival, you have no idea who the company really is. Of course it could have been other people on the excusrion stealing, and not the people running the excursion.

Good advice to keep track of your belongings regardless of where you are off shore.

During a jeep tour in Aruba, booked through Royal Caribbean, our backpacks and beach bags and the bags of two other couples were stolen out of the back of the open jeeps at one of our first tour stops. During the very first stop, we all took our bags out of the jeep and carried them with us to look at the sites. At the next, I guess we got complacent and didn't even think about it, just left the bags. We spent the rest of our time in Aruba at the police station writing up a report, which was basically a waste of time but did get us a letter to provide to the ship so we could get back on board (some of us lost our ship cards AND photo IDs). We were careless and learned a big lesson.

Why anyone would carry "hundreds of dollars" on a snorkel excursion is beyond me. That is absurd.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

The safes in your room are to store your money and anything you don't want stolen. I only carry essentials when on shore tours. Plastic is accepted in most all the stores and $50 will buy anything else I need. It is all kept in my bathing suit or waterproof waistpack. Carrying anything of value on shore is asking for trouble. As Tom Said, Why would you carry hundreds of dollars, that is just crazy.

Judy

Celebration 2/96

Imagination 2/97

Fascination 12/97

Imagination 3/99

Spirit 11/01

Sensation 1/02

Pride 11/02

Voyager of the Seas 5/03

Conquest 10/04

Yeah, I would have to agree. When we cruise we bring those disposable cameras, ( we leave the digital camera in the safe) never wear our good jewelry off the ship ( aside from a plain wedding band) and any cash, credit cards, passport etc. in a plastic pouch on our bodies. My cash did get a little wet, but the vendors really didn't care about accepting wet American cash.

It's crazy to go to a third world country, leave stuff laying around, and expect it to still be there when you come back for it. Give me a break!

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Legend 2/03 ( had to cancel at last minute)

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

Archived