Air Canada? Anyone know anything?

Ok, have decided to cancel my air thru RCI and book air myself and get to Vancouver a day early. Air Canada has the cheapest fares with dept/arrival times I can live with. Anyone have any experence with them,:confused: I am planning on booking thru their website and am not real sure I am doing the right thing, but it seems to be lining up..:o enough 'points' to stay at a chain hotel, so thats 'free' , hotel has airport shuttle, so thats 'included-free', and >5miles from Cruise ship terminal...What do ya think?? The return flight is 'operated by United' and the outbound is Air Canada. :)

Thanks-Kandy

My AirCanada flight was fine, but keep a close eye on their schedule. On our flight to Quebec City last fall, the flight times were changed and cancelled a total of 5 times between the time I booked and flew. The good thing is they are allied with UAL, so when they offered me a different time on the AirCanada flight that I didn't like they agreed to move me to a UAL flight more to my liking. I would recommend checking your reservation every week or so and if you see a change, find an alternative flight before you call them. If they offer something else, suggest the flight you found and you'll be ok. Also, be sure to confirm any seats. It seemed like every time the flight got changed, our seat assignments disappeared...

We fly AC all the time from Vancouver to LA, either on United flights "operated by AC" or AC flights where we register for United miles. They're fine, and booking online gets you some bonus miles. Their food is awful, though, so get something to eat or take onboard and don't buy their offerings.

Air Canada is fine, but you should check to see whether they are serving meals on your flight (the website should note that with the specific flight information). AC started not providing meals with certain flights...or offering them for purchase only. I'm not sure whether that is only for Canadian flights or ALL flights but you should check into that. Not very good PR on their part, in my mind, but since the food is average anyways I'm fine with bringing my own! I got caught one time flying to Toronto in that the flight there provided food, the flight back didn't and I forgot to check beforehand! I was sure happy to get my complimentary roasted almonds, I can tell you!

You can also get the 1-800 number from the website and call the airline before your flight to confirm the arrival/departure time. They are good about updating that frequently.

Thanks..checked and found out, on outbound flight (traveling their "Tango" Class...its most cost effictive for us) there is 'food avalible for purchuse'. On return flight (operated by United) there it is not noted, so I guess not... Travel time out is 5hrs+ time back is 9hr+( I think)..so thats kinda jacked-up. So I guess we will eat before and (what) bring a snack on with us? Is that allowed?:confused:

I don't think Air Canada offers food for free anymore, but it is available to purchase. Was on a flight to Montreal from Toronto last week, only cookies, coffee, tea and soft drinks were offered. I thought I saw a sign that you could by a Subway sub and some other items. Bring your own on board and you won't be disappointed. Service was good as usual...we normally fly Air Canada domestically.

Snacks are fine & almost expected these days.

Kandy, do you mind sharing which hotel you are staying at? I am not being nosy, you mentioned that you are staying five miles from the pier...that might put you in a very strange location. If you don't want to share, you want to try and be right in the downtown core (business district). Many of the RCL ships sail out of Ballantyne pier (we have two). This is not the most attractive port and ideally your hotel will not be anywhere close to this port. If it is the Holiday Inn on Broadway, the area is safe, but sightseeing can be difficult. If it is the Best Western on East Hastings, I would consider switching to another Best Western and pay the extra for the airport shuttle or airlimo.

Sorry to be nosy!

Air Canada is fine, but you should check to see whether they are serving meals on your flight (the website should note that with the specific flight information). AC started not providing meals with certain flights...or offering them for purchase only. I'm not sure whether that is only for Canadian flights or ALL flights but you should check into that. Not very good PR on their part, in my mind, but since the food is average anyways I'm fine with bringing my own! I got caught one time flying to Toronto in that the flight there provided food, the flight back didn't and I forgot to check beforehand! I was sure happy to get my complimentary roasted almonds, I can tell you!

You can also get the 1-800 number from the website and call the airline before your flight to confirm the arrival/departure time. They are good about updating that frequently.

Air Canada is NOT alone in the "food available for purchase" program-a lot of airlines are doing it. We are flying American Airlines to Miami in April-same thing. I wonder, if you have to buy it, is it better food?:D

Michelle! Thanks for the heads up! The hotel is on SE Marine Drive, somewhere between Knight and Main? From the map I was looking at it is near Queen Elizabeth park (?). What do you mean by strange location? Do you mean dangerous...or...? Don't want to get in over our heads. Is that location ok? Is it close to the peir? I think your right it is the one you mentioned..is that the same as 'port of Vancouver'? Im so confused!!:eek:

Here is my email...if you want to let me in on anything you dont want to post publicly. parrottheadbaby@yahoo.com

Friends just flew from Montreal to FLL on Friday, and there was NO free food, not even pretzels on their 3+ hours flight on Air Canada. They were able to buy muffins or submarine sandwiches, though. The drink cart only came around once. Muffin was $2 Canadian, and the subs were around $5.

AC will take US dollars for food or treats but may not give you as good an exchange as a bank. You will pay for food but the movies are free on AC. You will receive free headsets, whichare yours to keep afterward.

Air Canada ia a good airline that has been buying new planes lately. I think you'll enjoy your trip.

Hi there! I'm taking my 6th cruise in April and have flown Air Canada for all of them. So far, (fingers crossed), I've never had a problem! Last year I think I ended up buying a chocolate bar on the flight, but will probably plan ahead and bring something from home this year. Air Canada will accept US and Cdn money. Happy cruising!!

I was born and raised into an Air Canada family..DD and DB work for the airline. I can say that with out biase that A/C are by far the best. We went on Northwest last cruise( Never again) now I know why they are called north worst.

It is true that A/C does not offer meal for free but they do offer things from Montana's and Kelsey's menu as well. for a small fee..If you have any special meal requirement such as kosher meals or food allergies call the company directly before you leave ( at least two weeks).

As for the " small plane" the Dash 8 is a prop plane it seat approx 75 people, and yes it is small but not uncomfortably.It will be alot noisier that say a Air bus but just don't get a wing seat.

A/c and United immalgamated a few years ago as a cost cutting measure and to save each other from bankruptcy.

If you need anymore information let me know.

Regards and safe cruising

Karen

Archived