Air Canada? Anyone know anything?

United & Air Canada did not ammalgamate. They are however, part of the Star Alliance (I believe it's called) which means you can collect air miles (aeroplan with A.C) and use them on another member airline. You an also buy a ticket from one of the alliance airlines and find yourself flying on one of the other members such as United or U.S. Air.

However that is as far as it goes. They are seperate companies who own and operated their own airlines.

Parrothead: I have two cents to add. I travel a lot, almost always on Air Canada. Last week I flew from Vancouver to Toronto, a 4-1/2 hour flight - as reported above, no food other than muffins and sandwiches for sale ($2 for muffins and $8 for sandwiches).

What I really objected to was the pillow & blanket cost $2 !! So, bring your own inflatable travel pillow and wear a sweater!

Suzanne (SeaBaby)

Good tidbit..thanks Suzanne. I have come to the conclusion we may starve on the flight to and from;) . Good thing the cruise food is all 'Included'!!:D I guess we will pack a snack/maybe sandwiches and chips and just have a 'air picnic'. Ive been looking at some cute eateries in Vancouver and I guess we will rent a car for the day and take it back the next morning before we go to the peir. Oh, boy..Oh, boy..I ve always wanted to visit Canada and was bummed by the thought of just landing and runnign to the ship. so this will be cool, eh? And my 2 teen daughters really cant wait...they have always had an intrest in Canada..(may have been Canadian in a past life I suppose):eek: ...:p ...;)

Hey Lynnees...long time no see! Keeping warm today? I guess winter has finally arrived...eh? LOL

Mike & Tracey

long time no see is right.

I haven't stuck my nose out the door today. lol It's been such a warm winter I thought we would never get this weather. Oh well, I guess the best way to look at it - it can't last too long - we're more than 1/2 way through February. :D

Now we are looking forward to our Tahitian Princess cruise for sure. We're leaving on March 16 so we have less than a month to go know.

Did the Canada thread disappear? I haven't seen it in months.

parrothead - you won't regret for a minute going early to Vancouver. There is so much to see and do it takes a week really.

If your not sure where you want to go, you can take a bus tour (we did that last time we were there even though we've been several times before - just because we knew where we wanted to go) You can take the full day tour that takes you over to the Island and you can visit Victoria and the Buchart Gardens. Stunning. Or you can take the one that just takes you around Vancouver, Stanley park etc.

As for the weather, you're right, it's cold enough here right now to freeze your booty off. First time this winter we've had it this cold. I would love to have it in the 20's here :)

Thanks, Lynnees! Actually we are on the Serenade and our Ketchikan stop was canceled and Victoria was added so it is a port of call for us as well..

So we will see a bit more of your beautiful country than I originally thought! Ye-Haw!

I like the 'winter' we have been having...it's been above 70's most days and several times been mid 80's!!! Sending warm thought to your form the lower states!:)

We almost always fly Air Canada and have found their service to be superior to any other airline we've been on. The Embraer isn't a bad plane to fly on - I'm not a fan of small planes but I didn't notice the size so much because the plane was so comfortable. Have fun!

We flew Air Canada last August to vancouver for our Alaska cruise. What a nice airline. We also flew in a day early to see Vancouver. We walked to Stanley park. Very nice would love to go back again.

;) We are coping you!!;) Hope you don't mind.

Did you love the trip?? I cant wait!! 153 more day..oh wait...152, cuz Im leaving early!!!!:D

;) We are coping you!!;) Hope you don't mind.

Did you love the trip?? I cant wait!! 153 more day..oh wait...152, cuz Im leaving early!!!!:D

We loved it. The Serenade of the Sea's is a beautiful ship. We fell in love with this ship as soon as we boarded. It was our favorie cruise. Alaska is very beautiful. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Even my 11 year old daughter had a great time.

Hey, Parrotthead. Just another heads-up on AirCanada Tango... that's the cheapest class, right? I think you have to pay for advance SEAT ASSIGNMENTS if you go Tango! We always fork out for Tango Plus because of that.

And one more thing... if you're flying through Toronto, you'll be clearing customs there both ways (they have a pre-clearance centre for US flights) so you need extra layover time. And, whatever you do, don't try to take any fresh fruit onto the Toronto-Texas flight! They go berserk in the customs preclearance area over that...I had an apple seized and trashed in a bin and one lady mentioned on another board that they even grabbed her blueberry muffins, for heaven's sake! :(:confused:

We'll be on one of the Serenade sailings this summer, but we didn't get bumped to Victoria. So now I'm kind of wondering whether we shouldn't take an extra day and go over from Vancouver... I'm an east coast girl and I've never been.

Parrothead, you will not regret going a day early, Vancouver is very beautiful, lots to see and do there. Lynnees, I think the Canada thread has disappeared, have not seen it for awhile. I know what you mean about getting ready for your cruise, we booked a last minute one on the Jewel about three weeks ago, so really looking forward to it. As to the cold, this is how cold it is, we had some beer in the garage to keep cool, opened it and it froze as we poured it!! It is cold out!!

Ooops wrong word( immallgamate) my bad they are sistas!!!Part of the same group.oooo my bad!!!!

Anyway...Vancouver is an awesome place I was posted to Jericho beach many years ago and loved BC. When we went on the Visions it left out of Vancouver and I had an opportunity to see the old detachment after ten years...boy has DND let the area slide.It used to be called the resort posting to those of us in the CF but know I can't see thm using that as a nickname for it.

My folks live on the Island if you get a chance to visit Victoria do it. BC is gods country and rain aside is a great place to visit.

Check out gas town, granville Island market,china town,and stanley park. If you have alot of time on your hands go to Whistler Mountain for a horseback ride.

Karen

Oh, and one more thing about renting a car... if you're going to decline the insurance 'cause you're covered in the US, make sure you ask your US auto insurance company for an "insurance card." Tell them you're going to Canada and they'll know what you mean. You probably won't need it, but it's a hassle if you get pulled over for any reason and adds to any fines if you don't have it.

Parrotthead, I would check with United to see whether the other leg of your trip has food included or for purchase. As another poster had mentioned, the two airlines are part of the Star Alliance but that doesn't mean that they both don't have food included, it depends on the individual airlines. I've taken anything from sandwiches, salads, etc. on...there was no restrictions as far as I could see as to what you could bring. US and Canadian dollars are accepted. Make sure you get your aeroplan points if you are set up with that program! Also, a trip to Gastown to see the steam clock, up Grouse Mountain in the gondola and going to the Capilano Suspension bridge is a must! You'll love Vancouver...our city is beautiful and the views are spectacular.

I know that one of the best pilot stories I ever heard was about Air Canada, if you're interested, do a search for the Gimli Glider. Absolutely awesome pilots.

Wraithe

He was awesome because he was ex-Air force! (ex air force myself) A Boeing 767 doesn't glide very well but he did a great job.

Thought I'd get my 2 cents in about Air Canada - I travel quite a bit in Canada and the US. If you can avoid Toronto do it!! I try to avoid Toronto airport, its undergoing renovations and in terrible shape. The best airline by far in Canada is WestJet, they are modelled after Sourthwest.

Yes most large Canadian airports have US customs, you can do the customs in Canada and you don't have to go through US customs when you land in the States.

Thought I'd get my 2 cents in about Air Canada - I travel quite a bit in Canada and the US. If you can avoid Toronto do it!! I try to avoid Toronto airport, its undergoing renovations and in terrible shape. The best airline by far in Canada is WestJet, they are modelled after Sourthwest..

Avoid Toronto airport if possible, I second that!

Yes most large Canadian airports have US customs, you can do the customs in Canada and you don't have to go through US customs when you land in the States.

Parrotthead, you need to know there's no CAN about it... if the airport you fly out of Canada at has a preclearance centre, you HAVE to go through customs there. That means you'll need extra time to get on that flight. Don't let them schedule you for 45 minutes between flights... for Toronto, I like to see at least an hour and a half.

Oh, and another thing about customs preclearance on your return flight to the US... you can't check your baggage through. Or maybe you can get the tags to check it though, but if you fly Vancouver - Toronto - Texas, you have to say hello to your bags in Toronto. That means waiting around the conveyer belt till they unload the flight's baggage, hauling the bags over to customs and immigration, and slinging them onto the "connecting flights to US" conveyer belt. Then (in Toronto at least) you have to GO THROUGH SECURITY again because you're dumped out of the secure area after exiting customs and immigration.

Any way you can route yourself so that your FIRST return flight (the one leaving from Vancouver) lands in the US and you make your connection on a domestic flight? Customs preclearance is a real pain in the neck in mid-route because of the baggage.

Oh, and one more thing about renting a car... if you're going to decline the insurance 'cause you're covered in the US, make sure you ask your US auto insurance company for an "insurance card." Tell them you're going to Canada and they'll know what you mean. You probably won't need it, but it's a hassle if you get pulled over for any reason and adds to any fines if you don't have it.

WOW, thanks...I love this site!! I am getting so many good tips and advice on things that frankly, would not have occured to me!! Thanks an million!:)

OK, here's what Ive come up with...

Out of Texas(DFW) into YYZ, approx 1.5hour layover with 'terminal change' , YYZ to YVR.

Return: YVR to Denver (DEN), approx 45 min layover, DEN to DFW.

Only way to avoid YYZ is one that gets us in (sorta) late for my liking...this way we are on the ground at YVR atround 2ish.

All contigent of availiblity, havent booked yet...

How does all that sound to you seasoned travelers? :o Will we have to get our luggage at YYZ or do they do that?

oh, TangoPlus, least expensive available.

Archived