Navigation deck, Zuiderdam

mim100

just booked aft cabins on the navigation deck, ms zuiderdam....looking at pictures at webshots.com I'm wondering if these cabins are in the shade ALL the time...the overhang from the lido deck looks like it might block the sun too much....have we made a mistake? help !! :confused:

We have been on the Westerdam and Oosterdam (sister ships to the Zuiderdam) - not in an aft cabin, but we have been aft on the Lido deck many times. From the back of the Lido deck you can look down on the decks below. They jut out in step fashion so that there is no overhang and lots of exposure to the sun. I'm sure that those who have had an aft cabin will post more about this. The aft cabins are highly prized by many and they go quickly. Have a great cruise.

Nav Deck wake cabins are completely covered. Look in my sig below for a photo of the Vista ship wake tiers (but not Noordam... they're stacked).

For the best wake verandas, book decks 5 or 6.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Nav Deck wake cabins are completely covered. Look in my sig below for a link to photos of the Vista ship wake tiers (but not Noordam... they're stacked).

For the best wake verandas, book decks 5 or 6.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Thanks for the info, Candy....awesome pictures !! I'm wondering about those aft verandahs on the Nav deck...if they never get the sun, will it be cold? will we be uncomfortably cool sitting in the shade all the time?

we were in cabin 8128 on the oosterdam last year and while we had a great cruise the only problem with the cabin was between 6 to 7 am and 10 to 11 pm they were unstacking and stacking the deck chairs above us and it was exremely loud but a very large verandah.

Thanks for the info, Candy....awesome pictures !! I'm wondering about those aft verandahs on the Nav deck...if they never get the sun, will it be cold? will we be uncomfortably cool sitting in the shade all the time?

Not in the Carib, but maybe in Alaska. Sorry, but I have no personal experience up north.

Candy <-- loves the wake cabins

We're booked for the Panama trip, April 2007...seems a long way off !! The good news is that we've still got time to change our staterooms if we find our VA's 8122 & 8129 never get any sun...we're considering biting the bullet and moving to the corner aft SC catergory...we'd lose privacy but hopefully we'd get both sun and shade...I keep looking at pictures of the aft verandahs and ours look so dark !!

Just got off the O'dam in February, with an aft on the Navigator deck. The overhang completely covers the balcony, but the position of the ship, and time of day, makes a big difference, too. There were hours of the day on portions of the trip when there was sufficient sun for several hours. One must trade the privacy factor with amount of sun, I guess....

For "full" sun, go for a lower deck, and be ready for those above you (including the Lido deck) to be able to see your balcony.... These verandahs, as well, are only "partial" shade, due to the dividers during the day. Aft corner cabins afford you even more sun availability throughout the day (at quite a "premium"!).

Hope that helps....

Paul

Actually, I have a Noordam (8141) in July and Westerdam (8122) in October booked. Both were booked before I actually sailed on the O'dam last month, and I've wondered about changing or not. (So far, "not"!)

At this point, I don't think I have much of a choice for the Noordam, but I might check availability on the W'dam. Unfortunately, I travel solo, so a corner suite (best of both worlds, IMO!) is out of my reach....

I enjoyed the privacy of the Navigation deck verandah, and just went poolside if I wanted more sun. Of course, in Feb. I got a bit more sun the first day by the pool than I intended, so it wasn't hard to forego poolside later in the week, and the balcony was pointing South for the final few days (with lots of sun!)....

Whether it's covered or open, I've been bitten by the "aft" bug, for sure! (Oh, the pain...first, cruising; now, aft balconies! When will I EVER learn???) :D

Paul ;)

Archived