Help!! Will I be able to dive??

Dgonza

Hey everyone,

Let me try this again. I wrote this earlier, but for some reason it didnt post. Anyway, I am going on my first cruise on March 25th (Golden princes....Southern Caribbean) I am certified through Naui. As I was reading through the New Waves Scuba tours booklet, I found this:

Quote: Unfortunately, we are unable to accommmodate certified divers with either a junior open water or a scuba diver rating due to the depth limitations imposed by these certifications.

So I pulled out my nifty little Naui Card, and it says "scuba diver". So does that mean I am not going to be able to participate in these diving excursions. I was really looking forward to diving. It has been a few years since I dove. I am taking a refresher class next week.

So has does anyone have a Naui Certification? Were you allowed to participate? Has anyone experienced a situation similar to this? I am kind of worried now. Thanks in advance for any info.

do you know what your depth limitation is? There's more than one certification agency with the "scuba diver" cert level. They may be talking about another one. Then again their dive may be to 80ft and if you've got a 60ft limitation, you shouldn't do the dive.

Grenada and St Kitts both had really good shallower dives available. I'm open water certified but I prefer the shallower dives due to the longer bottom time. I haven't been to aruba or isla margarita. And DW had plans for us in st thomas. St kitts had tons of carribean lobster all over the place in 10ft of water close to shore they were like locusts. Interesting to watch on the way back in from a shore dive.

Dgonza-

Here is the training progression from the NAUI website. http://www.naui.com/recreational_divers.php

Certifying agencies use differing names for their levels, which can cause confusion.

The 'scuba diver' rating to which Princess is referring is a partial open water course that carries restrictions on depth, and diving companions. http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/begin/scubadiver.asp

Have a great trip!

Wendy

We're going to cross down there in the south - we're on the Empress March 27th - April 7th.

St. Kitts - check out Kenneth's Dive Center - http://www.kennethsdivecenter.com We dove with them on a trip back a couple of years ago, and are diving with them again on March 29th.

St. Thomas, there are many reviews and tips on this board if you do a search. We used Blue Island Divers at Crown Bay, and here is a link to my review of that trip. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=121707

For Aruba, we are scheduled with Clive at Dive Aruba for April 5th.

I found this link for Margarita Island diving, but we were not in port long enough to try it. http://www.casatrudel.com/scuba-diving-snorkeling.htm and the shop they are working with http://www.aquanauts.com.ve/index.html

We were supposed to visit Grenada on this trip, but it got dropped off the list. This was our second try to get down there, so I guess we just have to go again to get it!

Dive pix are posted at http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Have a great time!

Wendy

I must admit to being perplexed by your dilemma. Naui certification is one of the better ones. l agree with Garrick. Maybe you should contact Naui and find out what your depth restrictions are, and get in in writing. I just don't see that you should be having this problem. In any event, in St. Thomas, we dove with Admiralty Divers, who picked us up at the pier with their dive boat. Great diving! In Grenada were used Dive Grenada, which after the hurricane last year, was the only option. We've dove with them twice, and have had good dives both times. In Aruba, we went with Dive Aruba. Also good choice, although it's probably the smallest dive boat I've ever been on. you will probably be given the option to dive the Antilla in Aruba, which is a pretty neat dive if you do have to dive with the ship's operator. All the operators I mentioned have web sites. If possible, book your own dives, not via the cruise ship. You always get a better dive and better prices this way. Just make sure you have ample time to get back to the ship. We've dove this way for years, in multiple ports of calls, and have never had a bad experience. Have a great cruise!!

Hey everyone,

Let me try this again. I wrote this earlier, but for some reason it didnt post. Anyway, I am going on my first cruise on March 25th (Golden princes....Southern Caribbean) I am certified through Naui. As I was reading through the New Waves Scuba tours booklet, I found this:

Quote: Unfortunately, we are unable to accommmodate certified divers with either a junior open water or a scuba diver rating due to the depth limitations imposed by these certifications.

So I pulled out my nifty little Naui Card, and it says "scuba diver". So does that mean I am not going to be able to participate in these diving excursions. I was really looking forward to diving. It has been a few years since I dove. I am taking a refresher class next week.

So has does anyone have a Naui Certification? Were you allowed to participate? Has anyone experienced a situation similar to this? I am kind of worried now. Thanks in advance for any info.

I hold a naui, padi and ymca. I helped instrut for years. Don't dive thru the ship and you should be ok. Once you get certified, you are for life. Most of wht you can see is 30ft and above. Get use to the 30 and 40 and then take an advanced class.

Hey guys thanks for all the info. I feel a lot better now. I believe I am certified down to 60 ft so that should be a problem. Nice Pics Wendy. Do you have a underwater camera? I just bought some disposible underwater cameras. They are good down to 50 ft. Well, I look forward to the cruise and diving. I have been trying to get my sis to take dive lessons but she is working 3 jobs etc.... So there is little spare time for her to take lessons. Money is probably an issue for her too. But I did see some excursions that are "discovery". So basically you get a mini class/brief for about an hour and then you stay with an instructor while on your dive. Anyone ever done this? If she were to do this would I be able to go with her as a certified diver? would it be too boring for me?? Or lets say I am just going to be the one to go diving. I dont really want to leave my sis alone. Would she be able to ride the boat out? Any suggestions? Thanks again!!

Excuse me for jumping on this thread, but that comment caught my attention. Where did you get these? I thought underwater cameras only were good to six feet or so, and I don't have any fancy camera equipment for my upcoming trip to the Caribbean. I'd love to find a disposable camera. I didn't know any of them were good to 50'. Thanks so much!

Jane :)

I got the kodak disposible underwater camera from Walmart. They were about $9 each and have 27 exposures and of course you know they are waterproof down to 50 ft. If they dont have them at your local walmart, try walmart.com. So you live in Santa Ana? I used to live in Ventura while I was in the Navy. I loved it there. Now I am freezing my you know what off here in Michigan. I have lived in Michigan for 3 1/2 yrs now. Good Luck with the Disposible cameras.

Thanks for the disposable camera info...that's how long ago I used one, they only used to be good at ten feet or so! I found a couple on ebay, so perhaps I can use them on a couple shallower dives in the Caribbean.

Yep, I live in Santa Ana, southern California (Orange County); Ventura being way north on the 405 from me.

Great diving to all!

Jane :)

Hey everyone,

ok a junior diver is under 16 yrs old and they are limited by certification to 1 atm, after that age they are upgraded to reg open water which is recommended 60 ft and shallower, but for an open water diver you can still go to the 80 ft depths but remember the rule , plan your dive and dive your plan. also go with what you are comfy and some experience with.just my 2 cents,have a great trip!!!

btw, you will be able to do the dive, take c card and log book, the DM on the dive boat checked my log. im open water, and o2 provider

Yes, I do have an underwater camera. It's a SeaLife digital, which was about $250 on St. Thomas for the camera, underwater case, charger, batteries, cords, etc. maybe 3 years ago or so. Then, I spent about $50 on a memory card, and was off and running.

When it dies/floods/quits, I'll probably go for a nice camera and case, but I didn't want to spend too much $ to see if I liked photography or not.

There are several fairly cheap film camera models, but film and developing can get expensive fast.

Of course, EBay is always an option to look for a used camera.

A Discover dive would be fine for your sister (you can check it out on http://www.PADI.com). Just be aware that she won't get any credit for that when she is ready to certify.

Most operators are quite happy to have 'bubble watchers' on the boat. Most charge a reduced rate, some the full rate, and very few don't charge if there is sufficient room. A couple of bubble watching trips are usually a good motivator to get certified.

Also, if you want to dive on St. Kitts, here is a link to a site that has a 15% off coupon for Kenneth's Dive Center, as well as lots of other cool stuff. http://passengerdiscount.dxine.com:54321/affiliates/cruiseshoppes/

Are you stopping on Curacao? If so, Suzy at The Dive Bus would be an excellent choice http://www.the-dive-bus.com/

Have a great time wherever you dive!

Wendy

HI wendy, thanks for the info and links. We are not going to curacao. We are going to st thomas, st kitts, grenada, isla margarita, and Aruba. We are going to dive the reef at coki beach being that my sis is not certified. She is going to take the Discover Scuba course and then we will dive together with an instructor. Not a bad deal. Its $40 for me and if I want a 2nd dive its and extra $20. That includes all rental equipment and a guide. For my sis it will be $60 includes rental equipment, crash course, instructor and a guide. They are even going to pick us up at the ship at 8:30am. Anyone ever dove here. I have read that it gets crowded later in the afternoon etc..... I think the biggest thing is that I want my sister to be able to experience diving. What better way than to go with her big brother..lol They said depending on her comfort level, that we will go down to a maximum of 40 ft. I think this is a good deal. What do you guys (figure of speech.....and women too) think?

I think you will both have a great time!

Doing a Discover off the beach will lessen the anxiety level a bit, because she won't have to deal with the additional instructions for boat diving.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Archived