Glacier Helicopter dogsledding excursion question

Ellen495

Hi! We are booked on Holland America this summer (hoping cruises go). Anyway, I decided to book the excursion for the helicopter/dogsled which you all convinced me is a must 2 years ago (like everyone, our trip was cancelled).

So I went on my booking page - and found the trip. It offered either North Glacier (more expensive and longer) or Mendenhall (which is the one I've heard most about). Which is better? (price doesn't matter)

Further, I tried to book Mendenhall and it said sold out. So I put myself on a wait list - but that says for 9:30 and I vaguely recall that they open more times as it gets closer.

Lastly, would it be safe to book direct? When I say safe, I'm not discussing Covid or helicopter safety as  I assume the cruise line books with the same people  - but rather safe as far as getting there and back without missing the boat.

Thank you.

Ellen

On 10/22/2021 at 12:39 PM, Ellen495 said:

Hi! We are booked on Holland America this summer (hoping cruises go). Anyway, I decided to book the excursion for the helicopter/dogsled which you all convinced me is a must 2 years ago (like everyone, our trip was cancelled).

So I went on my booking page - and found the trip. It offered either North Glacier (more expensive and longer) or Mendenhall (which is the one I've heard most about). Which is better? (price doesn't matter)

Further, I tried to book Mendenhall and it said sold out. So I put myself on a wait list - but that says for 9:30 and I vaguely recall that they open more times as it gets closer.

Lastly, would it be safe to book direct? When I say safe, I'm not discussing Covid or helicopter safety as  I assume the cruise line books with the same people  - but rather safe as far as getting there and back without missing the boat.

Thank you.

Ellen

My dog sledding was in Skagway and departed around 10:00 AM in nice weather.   It remains one of the highlights of my cruising history.

Several years ago, I was in Juneau when a severe fog rolled in and stopped all flights.  43 passengers, most from the Holland America ships in port, were stranded on Mendenhall Glacier,   Taku Lodge, and on a dog musher excursions.  With the tide going out, the ships had to leave Juneau.  Those stranded on the glacier spent the night in an emergency tent.  Taku lodge had rooms for those stranded there and those at the musher camp were returned to Juneau by vehicles around midnight.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/juneau/P7140128.jpg

HAL chartered a whale-watching boat from Allen Marine , provided meal vouchers, and delivered 26 passengers to our ship just as we left Glacier Bay (next afternoon).  Six passengers were put on planes at HAL's expense to their next destination.  Nine passengers on private excursions had to pay their own to pay to the next port to catch their cruise ships.  Lots of stories from the returning passengers who said they loved their overnight experiences.  

Juneau had lots of aircraft and pilots.  Many cruise ports do not have extensive transportation assets and would require a large expense for a passenger to get to the next port.  The few extra dollars I pay for a ship-sponsored excursion is an insurance policy to me that guarantees vendors are reputable, vendor craft/vehicles/operators are safe, any medical expenses would be covered, and I will be delivered to the next port at no expense to me.  FWIW I have met a number of HAL cruisers that had falls during an excursion and HAL paid every expense for several years of recovery.

• Like 1

Thank you so much. We are booking the North Glacier (8:30 am was all that was available) for now via Holland America as Mendenhall is booked. We are on a wait list for that one - so we'll see. We will stick with booking through the cruise line. I appreciate your response.