NYC - 2 ships/same pier-what happens?

WaldosPepper

We're boarding the Dawn this Thursday, and will be driving to the Pier and parking there. On Sunday 3/5 when we return, the Spirit will also be returning. In watching the WiredNY3 cam, it appears that both the Dawn and the Spirit utilize the same Pier. Now, when we return and they return at the same time, what happens to the second ship? Obviously they've got to berth at a different pier - and those who've parked at the pier will now be probably a significant distance from their cars. Am I correct in assuming that it could be an absolute nightmare trying to get to the cars, and also to navigate the area with a second shipload of passengers all trying to do the same thing?

Just trying to prepare myself in advance, so anyone who has previous experience with this - any info would be helpful. Also, during the summer when the Crown is in port with the Dawn, they are always at different piers, so that scenario would be completely different - they loaded at different piers, and unloaded at their same respective piers.

Am I making any sense at all? :confused: Just trying to get a handle on what we might expect.

I'll try again - previous attempt disappeared mid-sentence.

Last time we sailed into NYC, on a Sunday, 9-02, we were the 4th and last ship in - having been delayed 6 hrs by heavy Atlanitic storms West of the Azores.

There were only enough customs, immigaration, and longshoremen to handle one ship at a time, and buses and cabs could not get near the terminal.

Several hundred of us Princess passengers missed our flights. Princess stepped up to the plate, put us in hotels and fed us, and reticketed & rescheduled our flights.

We were all docked down by the Intrepid - and I believe several cruise lines have relocated to other facilities.

Good luck!

Last year on our Dawn cruise I had to park my car at the next pier over from the Dawn. There was no problem. It's just a short walk over and up the escalator. I've been parking and cruising out of the NYC pier for 5 years now. I have never really had a problem.

We're boarding the Dawn this Thursday, and will be driving to the Pier and parking there. On Sunday 3/5 when we return, the Spirit will also be returning. In watching the WiredNY3 cam, it appears that both the Dawn and the Spirit utilize the same Pier. Now, when we return and they return at the same time, what happens to the second ship? Obviously they've got to berth at a different pier - and those who've parked at the pier will now be probably a significant distance from their cars. Am I correct in assuming that it could be an absolute nightmare trying to get to the cars, and also to navigate the area with a second shipload of passengers all trying to do the same thing?

Just trying to prepare myself in advance, so anyone who has previous experience with this - any info would be helpful. Also, during the summer when the Crown is in port with the Dawn, they are always at different piers, so that scenario would be completely different - they loaded at different piers, and unloaded at their same respective piers.

Am I making any sense at all? :confused: Just trying to get a handle on what we might expect.

Pepper: We've been in the NYC port when the Sea and Dawn were there together. It's not a problem. Usually we pick up our luggage, and take it outside away from the crowds. I stay with the luggage while Rex get the van. He said that no matter what dock is used you're never more than a city block from the parking. We also keep our cells on so that we can stay in touch.

The NYC piers can get a little chaotic when that many people are coming and going at the same time, but it's never taken more than 15 or 20 mins to get the van, load the luggage and be on our way home.

Carole

The Dawn will be at Pier 88 Berth 2 on 3/5 and the Spirit will be at Pier 92 Berth 5 that day.

We have sailed twice with the Crown in port on the same day also and it's not any worse than when one ship is in town.

We usually have someone pick us up across 12th Avenue at the traffic light. We call them when we dock and are off in about 1 1/2 hours with the VIP passengers. It's a suite perk.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Monty - now I'm more confused than ever! :o

Please, could you just reassure this country girl that I'm gonna be able to figure out where to pull in when we arrive on Thursday to board? Please tell me it's clearly marked, and I don't have to drive around in circles trying to figure out which turn to make. :eek:

BTW - where did you locate the information about which ship will be in which berth? That's VERY COOL! :D

When you drive in, and go up the ramp 'all' the ships are clearly visible, right in a row. Sometimes they will have a sign, but it's really not necessary. Not a problem at all.

Just take note which pier your car is parked, of the last 6 cruises out of NY most times we were not docked at the same pier we left.

As someone else explained, upon departing take all the luggage to the curb and have someone wait with the luggage and the other go get the car. Try to choose a spot with the least congestion, upon exiting you may need to walk to the left or right to get a clear area by the curb. Avoid an area where the cabs are dropping off/picking up. The driver will then know where to pick you up.

Although it can be quite crowded, it really is very easy if you know what to expect. We never had to cross 12th Ave as others have done even when we were the last of 5 ships to disembark!

Here's the website,(go to cruise schedule, click on ship) but we've always just looked for the ship, you really can't miss it!

http://www.nypst.com/

NY is the worst port I have ever seen. The lay out forces people entering and leaving the port to all merge on the second deck of the pier. Cars are every where and the NY city attitudes of the employees do not help. Our cruise on the Carnival Legend last year was a great cruise once we got past the port of NY. It was so bad we will never take a cruise departing from NY again, unless it is from a new port in NY. Just a heads up.

NY is the worst port I have ever seen. The lay out forces people entering and leaving the port to all merge on the second deck of the pier. Cars are every where and the NY city attitudes of the employees do not help. Our cruise on the Carnival Legend last year was a great cruise once we got past the port of NY. It was so bad we will never take a cruise departing from NY again, unless it is from a new port in NY. Just a heads up.

We have cruised out of NY twice already (once out of Miami as well), and we look forward to another EASY (drive to the pier, park, walk on the ship, and begin our vacation) sailing out of NY in April again. :)

Departure is the same. Generally pretty simple. Disembark...This year with priority...AB accomodations, I have to be at school (Institiute of Integratrive Nutirtion) by 10am...Hubby picks up the jeep, circles around to get us and our bags, drops me off at Columbus Cicle, and takes the boys home. :)

I'm curious Spoarzy, what is your experience with "the NY attitudes"? :)

A deflection in the space time continuum occurs. This causes the clocks to run much slower. This is a good thing as you have more time than you imagine (to stand in line). Of course once you depart the clocks start moving at the regular pace (which is a bad thing once you get on the ship!).

Then before you know it, you're back sitting behind the screen banging away at the QWERTY graveyard, digging through the spare change to see if you have enough to cover deposits on your future cruises. Such is the cycle of life. :D

Cheers,

Norman

:)

A deflection in the space time continuum occurs. This causes the clocks to run much slower. This is a good thing as you have more time than you imagine (to stand in line). Of course once you depart the clocks start moving at the regular pace (which is a bad thing once you get on the ship!).

Then before you know it, you're back sitting behind the screen banging away at the QWERTY graveyard, digging through the spare change to see if you have enough to cover deposits on your future cruises. Such is the cycle of life. :D

Cheers,

Norman

:) Enough Said. :)

Yet another cold night but we're about 8 deg ahead of the thermo compared to 24 hours ago. Just increased the demand on the Espar. Firing rate is now 4 gal / hour. Electric blankets are wonderful but you never want to leave the bunk and those cabin soles are like ice cubes...

Oh the WX outlook is interesting. Funny how the lines intersect now.

Cheers,

Norman

Archived