First-Time on MSC: Questions About Spinning and Solo Dining

TomNorth86

I was able to take advantage of the healthcare worker discount, and score a Meraviglia Fantástica balcony for $380 including taxes/port fees for a seven nighter early this November. 

I enjoy spinning, and typically do Peloton classes on my iPad. I noticed that there are spin bikes in the gym - does anyone know if these are available for solo use? I don’t feel as comfortable doing a group class. 

For dining, I probably won’t eat in the main dining room, but will rather stick to the buffet or room service (I save my extrovert energy for small groups at the bar). Does anyone have recent experience with room service for dinner? I know the service charge is free with Fantástica, but I can’t figure out based on my searches if there is a selection of complementary meals as well. I’m perfectly happy eating dinner on my balcony while reading a book (with a glass of wine, of course.)

Thanks for anyones insights!

Edited by TomNorth86

10 minutes ago, TomNorth86 said:

I enjoy spinning, and typically do Peloton classes on my iPad. I noticed that there are spin bikes in the gym - does anyone know if these are available for solo use? I don’t feel as comfortable doing a group class. 

As far as I remember these spin bikes are put away when there is no group spinning going on. 

According to my knowledge there is no free lunch 🙂 (and dinner) with room service. And especially not the normal menu from the restaurant. This will only be delivered to you if you are sick (confirmed by ship hospital). The happiness of the private balcony can only be enjoyed at breakfast. 

But with the probably low occupancy in November and Fantastica and the quite high number of tables for 2 I think there is a good chance for you that you get of these for you alone. 

23 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Following as I will be sailing solo and do not care to "join" for dinner.  I will say that there were almost NO tables for 2 recently on the Divina.  

Sure, but Fantasia Class and Meraviglia Class are very different in terms of table for 2. Not to speak about Musica and Lirica. 

12 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Following as I will be sailing solo and do not care to "join" for dinner.  I will say that there were almost NO tables for 2 recently on the Divina.  

Well, that’s disappointing to hear. Because I also don’t care to join a large table full of people just yet.

• Like 1

You’re getting wrong info. 
I sailed on the Meraviglia in September. There isn’t free room service for lunch or dinner, for Fantastica, but the fee is only a few bucks. Certainly cheaper than room service on land. As I recall, there were a few items that could be ordered free of charge, like a sandwich. But lunch and dinner items were available, for Fantastica, and it wasn’t expensive. 
You can also order additional items for breakfast. Continental breakfast items are no charge; there’s an upcharge for bacon and eggs. Not expensive and promptly delivered. 
There ARE tables for two in the Meraviglia dining rooms. I got in line early for my seating so I had more tables to choose from. I’m not a buffet person, but a couple of times I grabbed a salad and bread, delicious bread, at the buffet. Those items were handed to me; I didn’t serve myself. I sat alone, by a huge window with a sea view, with dozens of empty tables around me. And, there were several hand-washing stations at the buffet entrance. 
Enjoy your cruise. I enjoyed the Meraviglia so much that I booked another cruise in February, even though other MSC ship itineraries were ports that I prefer. 

3 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

There isn’t free room service for lunch or dinner, for Fantastica, but the fee is only a few bucks. Certainly cheaper than room service on land.

The fee is $7.95 for the food; delivery is free

40 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

The fee is $7.95 for the food; delivery is free

Thanks so much, not too bad. Maybe will do that option a couple nights. 

4 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

. I sat alone, by a huge window with a sea view, with dozens of empty tables around me. And, there were several hand-washing stations at the buffet entrance. 

Very helpful, thank you!

On 10/25/2021 at 12:12 PM, TomNorth86 said:

I was able to take advantage of the healthcare worker discount, and score a Meraviglia Fantástica balcony for $380 including taxes/port fees for a seven nighter early this November. 

For dining, I probably won’t eat in the main dining room, but will rather stick to the buffet or room service (I save my extrovert energy for small groups at the bar). Does anyone have recent experience with room service for dinner? I know the service charge is free with Fantástica, but I can’t figure out based on my searches if there is a selection of complementary meals as well. I’m perfectly happy eating dinner on my balcony while reading a book (with a glass of wine, of course.)

Thanks for anyones insights!

No need to worry about expending any energy at dinner plenty of space to sit alone at a two top. I didn't use room service except for coffee in the AM so not sure about lunch or dinner but I believe there is a charge if you book from the dining room menu.