Deciding on Rebooking Alaska (Again)

strickerj

Just some random thoughts and comments after reading through this thread...

Balcony vs. Lanai - I am cheap, but Alaska is the one itinerary where I would always recommend getting a true balcony cabin. We have done two Alaska cruises (a 7 Day & a 14 Day) and spent hours and hours on our balcony enjoying the scenery and wildlife. Booking a Lanai cabin may give you two reserved chairs, but you will see very little sitting in those chairs if other people are lined up along the railing in front of you. Knowing how much more expensive it would be to get a Vista Suite on the Volendam would cause me to eliminate that ship (which it sounds like you have done anyway.)

Even if you choose to not visit Denali, we found there was still plenty to see in the Seward/Kenai Peninsula area. Our cruises ended in Whittier (as will yours) but we took a shuttle to Anchorage where we rented a car for a few days to explore on our own. The one-day wildlife cruise we took from Seward was a highlight for us! 

Also the northbound cruise on the Noordam visits College Fjord as well as Glacier Bay. College Fjord was absolutely stunning. 

Our first Alaska cruise left from Vancouver. To use credits that we had with SW Airlines, we flew into Seattle and took the train from there to Vancouver. Even if we hadn't saved money, I think I would still consider doing it again because the train ride was so fun...more like an excursion than just transportation! 

Hopefully things will go well if you decide to do the 2022 cruise. Alaska is one of those places that people might consider a "once in a lifetime" trip but then return again because it is just SO BEAUTIFUL!! (I have embedded some links in this post to my blog which has lots of photos and maybe some logistical info that might be of help to you in your planning!)

Edited by AryMay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Than

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

Just some random thoughts and comments after reading through this thread...

Balcony vs. Lanai - I am cheap, but Alaska is the one itinerary where I would always recommend getting a true balcony cabin. We have done two Alaska cruises (a 7 Day & a 14 Day) and spent hours and hours on our balcony enjoying the scenery and wildlife. Booking a Lanai cabin may give you two reserved chairs, but you will see very little sitting in those chairs if other people are lined up along the railing in front of you. Knowing how much more expensive it would be to get a Vista Suite on the Volendam would cause me to eliminate that ship (which it sounds like you have done anyway.)

Even if you choose to not visit Denali, we found there was still plenty to see in the Seward/Kenai Peninsula area. Our cruises ended in Whittier (as will yours) but we took a shuttle to Anchorage where we rented a car for a few days to explore on our own. The one-day wildlife cruise we took from Seward was a highlight for us! 

Also the northbound cruise on the Noordam visits College Fjord as well as Glacier Bay. College Fjord was absolutely stunning. 

Our first Alaska cruise left from Vancouver. To use credits that we had with SW Airlines, we flew into Seattle and took the train from there to Vancouver. Even if we hadn't saved money, I think I would still consider doing it again because the train ride was so fun...more like an excursion than just transportation! 

Hopefully things will go well if you decide to do the 2022 cruise. Alaska is one of those places that people might consider a "once in a lifetime" trip but then return again because it is just SO BEAUTIFUL!! (I have embedded some links in this post to my blog which has lots of photos and maybe some logistical info that might be of help to you in your planning!)

Thanks, we are sticking with the Noordam from Vancouver to Whittier for next May then. As part of checking off all 50 states before we turn 40, we're flying to Portland a couple days early and taking the train or a rental car to Vancouver. (The former would be my preference but it isn't running past Seattle right now, and I'd prefer driving myself than taking a bus.)

We've got 4 nights in Anchorage after the cruise. I figured we'd take a day trip to Seward, possibly a day trip to Manatuska glacier depending on how far it is (I haven't actually checked yet), and maybe the rest of the time around Anchorage and Alyeska).

I am looking forward to College Fjords - does that go to the same glaciers as the 26 Glacier Tour out of Whittier, and have you been on it? My 2020 Noordam itinerary was scheduled to go to Seward, so I don't think HAL has started their cruises to Whittier, but I understand Princess has been there for years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, strickerj said:

I am looking forward to College Fjords - does that go to the same glaciers as the 26 Glacier Tour out of Whittier, and have you been on it? My 2020 Noordam itinerary was scheduled to go to Seward, so I don't think HAL has started their cruises to Whittier, but I understand Princess has been there for years.

I have not done the 26 Glacier Tour, but from looking at the tour description it does go to College Fjord plus other glaciers. I’m sure it would be a totally different experience seeing the glaciers from a smaller boat compared to viewing from a cruise ship. 

The drive from Anchorage to Seward is very scenic, take your time and enjoy! We stopped often and even saw our only moose (up close and personal) on the elevated boardwalk at Potter’s Marsh. 

• Like 2