Covid testing to enter Italy

muth cruiser

My husband and I are leaving on November 15th for Rome for the trans-Atlantic cruise to Miami. I have some concerns about the Covid testing for entering Italy.

We have purchased the Abbott BinaxNOW Covid-19 AG Card Home Test Kit.
Has anyone used this test personally to enter Italy?

If not, what test did you use to enter Italy?

17 minutes ago, muth cruiser said:
My husband and I are leaving on November 15th for Rome for the trans-Atlantic cruise to Miami. I have some concerns about the Covid testing for entering Italy.

Here is a link to the US Embassy in Itsaly addressing your question - COVID-19 Information - U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Italy (usembassy.gov)

• Beginning on August 31 and valid until October 25, 2021, travelers from the United States may enter Italy if they present a negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result carried out within 72 hours of arrival AND one of the following:
      • An Anti-COVID 19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA)-recognized vaccine.  At present, EMA recognizes the following vaccines: Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson, and AstraZeneca.  The date of the final vaccine dose must be at least 14 days prior to travel.  Travelers vaccinated in the United States can prove this via the “white card” bearing the CDC logo.
      • A medical certificate confirming recovery from COVID dated no more than six months before departure.
    • Passengers are required to complete the online EU Digital Passport Locator Form.
Edited by basor

7 hours ago, muth cruiser said:

YES!  We used this 20Sep for departure 22Sep and arrival 23Sep2021.  Flew via Paris CDG and arrival into Rome FCO. Delta looked at printed results at origination airport and at JFK (and the EU entry form). 

Upon arrival and connection in CDG, we cleared France immigration with passport, no request for other documentation.  We then got connecting boarding passes, checked into Air France lounge (again no documentation).  Upon arrival  into FCO we picked up luggage, walked through “nothing to declare” line, and out the door.  No passport stamp, no request for documentation!!

We used again (as well as two traveling companions- total 4 of us) on our departure from Italy for return to USA.  

We used printed paper forms outbound. Didn’t have a printer in our villa, so we used the NAVICA app on the return flights. The app was readily accepted upon departure checkin from Florence, and again in Paris CDG.  Matter of fact, the airline personnel were more familiar with the phone app than we were!  They asked for the phone, looked at the QR code, and swiped to the second page for the result details…something we didn’t even know was there! 😀

I Fully endorse the ABBOTT six pack test…it worked for us…six times!

Of course, you will be asked for proof of vaccination cards.  Also requested for entry into museums, restaurants, etc. where masks are also required. But no masks needed when outside…at all.

Edited by Jockocruiser
  • Like 1

We are in Italy now. Did the Binax NOW tests before leaving on plane to Rome via JFK. I had used the Verifly app that American Airlines recommended and was able to get it to accept my covid test results. You also scan the QR code of the Italy PLF and your vaccine card. My husband could not get Verifly to accept his results. So at the airport, they asked him to show is vaccine card. When I offered the test results, the rep said it's either or - the test or your vaccine card. No one ever asked to see his test results - not at MIA, JFK or when we went through passport control in Italy. So we found the test before flying absolutely unnecessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were in Italy in July and September.  We tested at Walgreens, rapid antigen, both times.  The test has to be performed 72 hours before entry so don’t forget the time change when calculating the 72 hours.  We needed the negative test to check in.  United would not issue a boarding test without it.  No one in Italy even looked.  Airport Senators lounge in Frankfurt required negative test and vaccine for entry.

IMPORTANT, you will need to complete their online locator (PLF) and obtain the QR code.  Italy requires it and United would not issue a boarding pass without it.  It is easy to fill out, everyone in a household can be listed on one PLF.

The PLF can be found here. https://app.euplf.eu/#/

We took a day trip on the train into Switzerland to see the Matterhorn.  On the way back into Italy, the train was stopped at the border and Italian police checked everyone on the train for the PLF QR code.

Have a great time!

• Thanks 1