Checking in at home

loohoo1

We cruise next week on the Horizon from Miami. I'm debating cancelling since my mom is not well. She wants us to go, my sister (her caregiver) says to go. If we do, I'd like to check in each day, just a minute or two. Is it best to use the ship to shore calling, texting, or buy the ship's wifi package (I literally would not use it other than to check in at home via email). My main concern is the 4 sea days. We have 4 port days where I'm sure I can find wifi. Any advice is appreciated. TIA!

10 minutes ago, loohoo1 said:

We cruise next week on the Horizon from Miami. I'm debating cancelling since my mom is not well. She wants us to go, my sister (her caregiver) says to go. If we do, I'd like to check in each day, just a minute or two. Is it best to use the ship to shore calling, texting, or buy the ship's wifi package (I literally would not use it other than to check in at home via email). My main concern is the 4 sea days. We have 4 port days where I'm sure I can find wifi. Any advice is appreciated. TIA!

If your Mom wants you to go - go! Life is short. Wifi is cheap. No regrets... Bring pics back for Mom to enjoy!

Edited by cruiseracer
  • Like 4

If texting from iPhone to iPhone then ship's wifi package will do.  If not iPhone then you can use an app like WhatsApp for texting or voice.  I've got WhatsApp to do video a few years ago but haven't tried it since.  Video quality was not very good at all.  We've always gotten the middle of the line wifi package.

• Like 2

I was in a similar situation about five years ago.  It’s super hard to leave under those conditions. We left the cruise line phone number along with our cabin number with our family and decided that they could call if there was an emergency. We checked in via Facebook messenger whenever we were at a port where we could find free WiFi. The Diamonds International stores have free WiFi and are in most Caribbean ports so we would just find a spot outside of the building and were allowed one hour on each device to use their WiFi. I will say it took me a couple days to finally let go and enjoy myself. I hope your vacation goes well and your mom and sister are good while you are gone. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clarasgrandma said:

I was in a similar situation about five years ago.  It’s super hard to leave under those conditions. We left the cruise line phone number along with our cabin number with our family and decided that they could call if there was an emergency. We checked in via Facebook messenger whenever we were at a port where we could find free WiFi. The Diamonds International stores have free WiFi and are in most Caribbean ports so we would just find a spot outside of the building and were allowed one hour on each device to use their WiFi. I will say it took me a couple days to finally let go and enjoy myself. I hope your vacation goes well and your mom and sister are good while you are gone. 

Thank you! I appreciate all of these responses. It's reassuring to know there will be ways to stay in touch.

Regardless of whether you are home or cruising, there is little you will be able to do. I learned this lesson the hard way finding out my dad was so sick and just diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. You sill have to live your life. I know it is not something people can fathom in the situation but you have to still live. If you have to make a phone call while at sea, pay the money and do it. Even if the rate is $2/minute and you have to make a 1-hour call, so be it. 

• Like 2

Att has an international day pass option that covers most of the Caribbean also. It is $10 a day and you only get charged when you use it. It uses your plans minutes and data. 

The Facebook messenger idea is probably the best idea for sea says.