other peoples noise

loobylouuk

Hi i will be cruising for the first time in June. Can anyone tell me how sound proof the cabins are! i hate others noise and would be really sad if my family were to disturb others (3 and 5yr olds!). what do you think? can other people be heard talking in the next room?

Lou

Normal conversation from one cabin to the next isn't a problem. However, crying or rowdy children are, as the walls aren't very thick.

I had one miserable cruise...the parents were on another deck (!), and their four children (ages around 6-15) were in the cabin next to mine. It was AWFUL. Not only were they singing and talking at the top of their lungs, but banging against the walls at all hours.

Normal conversation from one cabin to the next isn't a problem. However, crying or rowdy children are, as the walls aren't very thick.

I had one miserable cruise...the parents were on another deck (!), and their four children (ages around 6-15) were in the cabin next to mine. It was AWFUL. Not only were they singing and talking at the top of their lungs, but banging against the walls at all hours.

did you not complain? was it possible for them to move you?

I guess it depends on which ship you're on.

I've only been on British ships. The first one we were on we heard the poor guy next door vomit (it was a rough day!), which didn't help my DH at all.

I don't remember hearing anything on the second one but our room was an odd shaped one near the front.

On our most recent we rarely heard a thing! I was worried my two kids would disturb others so was constantly asking them to be careful. Next door we had a toddler whom we only heard slightly of a morning when the ship was quiet and the other side we never heard and they apparently had the Norovirus.

I think if someone is being rowdy then you need to report it as soon as possible. there is teh chance they just don't realise how thin some of the walls are.

Looby, I did speak with one of the parents (the dad) when he came to check on the kids. He assured me they would quieten down, and I heard him reading the riot act to them while both our doors were still open. Fine and good - except when he left, they got WORSE. I went next door and tried as nicely as I could to ask them to hold it down, and the oldest child, a teen, said they were SO sorry, and they would be quieter. And they were - for about an hour.

In retrospect, I should definitely have talked with the purser. I won't hesitate if I'm in that situation again.

Archived