Dominican Republic and any Health Concerns?

MandyGirl

Are there any health concerns of a female in her second trimester visiting the Dominican Republic as a port of call? Or if so, does staying on the ship that day seem to be the better option? Or just avoid that cruise itinerary altogether?

Our OB has provided a letter for being "fit for travel" but we are still trying to select the exact cruise itinerary for my Spring Break (and be cautious of ports we are choosing). I've tried reading the Centers for Disease Control website, and saw a mention of malaria for the Dominican Republic. http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm And of course I've read the research about using DEET while pregnant. Any one know about the Dominican Republic? :confused: Thanks so much!

My husband and I have stayed at resorts several times in Punta Cana, DR. The most recent being over Christmas & New Years. We have never had a problem. The only time you really need bug spray is in the evening. That was when we got bitten. However, the bites just cleared up as any bites would. We certainly had no after effects. There was a rumor going around about Malaria in DR even before we were just there. But that's all it is. Obviously any excursions you would take from the cruiseline would be during the day, and they certainly wouldn't be to any areas if there was a problem. I would say don't hesitate to go.

Thanks for your feedback. I am probably being over-cautious about everything right now. This is the one port that is keeping us from booking the Infinity - the toss-up now is between Infinity and RCCL Navigator. I'm pulling for the Infinity. :)

I was just there and went to the beach. Saw no bugs whatsoever. But if you are concerned why not make that an onboard day. The ship is great when most of the people are off and you could use the port day discounts to get a manicure, pedicure, etc.

I love staying on when everyone else leaves. Feels like you are sailing on 'your' ship!:)

If you have concerns about DEET you can try Repel Lemon Eucalyptus. My OB ok'd it for me to use when I cruised to Belize while pregnant. It worked even better than the DEET stuff, I was standing next to people who were constantly swatting at the mosquitos and applying/reapplying their DEET products and I got not one bite after having applied the Lemon Eucalyptus before we got off the bus at the ruins.

I would say to stick with bottled water (drinkmore than you think you need, it is easier to dehydrate) and be careful what you eat but I had a great time cruising pregnant and I think my daughter was born with sea legs. She just enjoyed her 4th cruise with no issues at all.

If it were me and I had concerns I would just spend a very relaxed day on ship with no crowds. We like to do this while we are in port at least once on every cruise. I have to agree with others, you probably have nothing to worry about. We have visited DR twice, once on a cruise and once a land trip, never have we had a problem. NMnita

• 5 months later...

I would take these precautions from CDC seriously... we did not on our recent cruise that visited Costa Rica and Panama.

My Dad is being tested for a parasite that has attacked his liver, and possibly malaria... routine blood test showed liver issues... first question they asked "where have you traveled within last 6 months"....he's undergoing more tests to determine what it is... interestingly, he's been complaining the last month or so about having uncontrollable chills and spiking fever that come on suddenly every few days... the only port my Dad got off the ship was in Limon, Costa Rica and the CDC has that port listed as a moderate malaria area. We did a one-hour boat ride and returned to the ship. I guess you can get a mosquito bite even on board the ship...... we will take more precautions in the future.

I would take these precautions from CDC seriously...

We ended up staying on the ship and relaxing - enjoying the empty ship. :) I wasn't willing to risk it, and our baby is due by the end of the month. Have had zero complications. :)

Archived