Mediterranean and Greek Isles cruise with teens

atobols

Our boys will be 16 and 14 this summer.  We've decided they are finally old enough to, hopefully, enjoy and appreciate Europe.  We've traveled and cruised enough to know we love it, but this will be their first time in Europe.  We usually cruise on Princess and we're looking at a 14 day cruise.  I hope to fly over a week before the cruise to adjust to the time change (we're from California) and spend some time in Germany.  That's where my oldest son was born and spent the first two years of his life.

I'm looking for advice, thoughts, warnings, basically anything.  If you've done somethings similar, how did it go?  What did your children love/hate?

I haven't done the Med with kids yet, but would also note that long term both cruises to Norway and Baltic cruises with St Petersburg (St Petersburg might not be possible this summer) are also amazing, and both are easy to access from Germany.

The biggest difference for a European cruise we found is that the ship is more just your moving hotel.  Since days are spent exploring ports for the most part, and evenings for resting up, the bells and whistles on the ship don't matter as much.  Biggest tip is to arrange private tours in each port (or make plans to explore on your own).  Especially with four of you, private tours shouldn't cost any more, and may be less, than ship excursions.  With a private tour, you beat the big tour busses to the sights and you can arrange itineraries based on your family's wishes (for us, no museums or tourist shopping stops).  Getting there a few days ahead to get used to the time difference is great.  I also buy my kids the wifi package, with the rule that on shore phones are for pictures only.  Eyes up, not on phone, but then all the phone time they want once on board.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kerry's Girls said:

I also buy my kids the wifi package, with the rule that on shore phones are for pictures only.  Eyes up, not on phone, but then all the phone time they want once on board.  Enjoy!

This is brilliant!  It's such a small thing but will make a huge difference.  I want the kids to experience Europe and the different cultures but I want them to have some down time to enjoy themselves in the evenings when we're back on the cruise ship.